On One Smorgasbord

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

didnothingfatal

On One Smorgasbord

Post by didnothingfatal »

Anyone tried these tyres? My Crossmark's are useless in the current swamp conditions, like riding on slicks most of the time.
Nick

Re: On One Smorgasbord

Post by Nick »

I've got a pair on my playing in the woods bike which I'll be taking to the Alps in August.

So far they seem good, fantastic grip on rock and roots, even when wet, and no issues on softer ground either. I've the softer compound one on the front.

Couldn't get them to go up tubeless though, they are alledged to be made by maxxis which are supposed to be easy to use tubeless. Feel well made and tough.
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

Thanks, guess that rules them out if you couldn't make them tubeless :(
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

Sorry for bringing this old thread back to life, but didnt want to post a completely new one.

Im looking for a new pair of tyres for my bike. I have very little faith in the ones which came with my 456, they are Michelin mountain dry or something. I saw the Smorgasbord tyres over at On One (whilst considering Midge bars). Reviews round the web seem to be mixed, so i thought id see what peoples thoughts about them were here before i went and ordered them.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Zoglug wrote:I have very little faith in the ones which came with my 456, they are Michelin mountain dry or something
I love them on my bike, especially for bikebacking. Fast rolling with a reasonable amount of cornering grip. I was quite dissappointed when i couldnt find any new ones to buy.

Not tried these, bu in 26er variety Race Kings are great in the dry but useless if you're anywhere near mud. Have a look at Maxxis advantages which have served me very well in the past.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I love them on my bike, especially for bikebacking. Fast rolling with a reasonable amount of cornering grip. I was quite dissappointed when i couldnt find any new ones to buy.
Think I might have some in the workshop ... shall I take a look?
Im looking for a new pair of tyres for my bike. I have very little faith in the ones which came with my 456, they are Michelin mountain dry or something. I saw the Smorgasbord tyres over at On One (whilst considering Midge bars). Reviews round the web seem to be mixed, so i thought id see what peoples thoughts about them were here before i went and ordered them.
Not tried the On-One tyres, mainly because they look heavy. I usually run Conti' Race Kings but if you're after something that inspires confidence then they might not be for you. Instead I'd recommend Conti' X Kings, I've got them on my 'guiding' bike (2.4 F + 2.2 R) and they're proving really rather good.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

I haven't a great deal of experience with different tyres but I love the Smorgasbord (26") - fairly grippy, not too draggy, kinda bouncy feeling, cheap
composite

Post by composite »

I have used these for a while. I like them and I will be using one on the front for the BB200. I don't use them tubeless myself but I have bought some for my 29er build which will be tubeless, as I have heard of a lot of people having success getting them to work. They aren't light weight though that's for sure, but they do grip well.

I would say they are not great at mud shedding but I've certainly had worse intermediate tyres. They are nothing like say a Storm Control for self cleaning so if you ride in a lot of claggy conditions then I would go for a real mud tyre for the winter.

Over all they are a good middle of the road type tyre... oh and great value for money (cheap). :)