New 'Event'?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gairym

New 'Event'?

Post by gairym »

After discussing this idea a little with a few folks of this parish during the Tuscany Trail I'm considering putting together a little bikepacking 'event' here in the Alps next year.

By 'event' I'm thinking more of a date and a route with nothing else much involved. Something along the lines of the upcoming Turin-Nice affair in order to keep under the authorities radar - those who want in come and ride the route with non-existent organisation, support or bureaucracy.

Initial thoughts.....

Name: Deux Batards

Date: September 2017?

Route: Start form Chamonix and consisting of a clockwise loop of the Tour of Mont Blanc before heading back through Chamonix to follow the Haute Route MTB route to Zermatt (meaning there'd be a half-way bail out option or intentional short version after the TMB).

Distance: In the region of 300-400km.

Alt. gain: 15,000-20,000m

Terrain: Lots of high altitude sublime Alpine singletrack and even more long-ass climbs. Predominantly (theoretically) rideable but realistically with plenty of HAB for us mere mortals.

To be fair there wouldn't be much to it other than finding the best two versions of those two routes and stitching the .gpx files together.

The main work is in creating road/low-level alternatives if the weather is bad and a few strategically placed bailout options etc...

Along the way there are plenty of refuges for meals (and possible bunking), there's loads of water to be found on the way and a few towns and villages for supplies and so it's all pretty bikepacking friendly.

So let me know your thoughts and opinions and we'll see if anything comes of it.

Cheers, Gairy.
Last edited by gairym on Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
rufus748

Re: New 'Event'?

Post by rufus748 »

This could be my first trip 'in retirement'.... !

Certainly interested.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Hmmmm.

Interesting :geek:
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

definitely interested.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Tell me more!
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I'm interested but would August be full of walkers?

As an aside, why include a route with HAB if there are alternative options? I want to ride my bike, not walk! :lol:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

September would probably make for an easier discussion at home...
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Definitely enjoyed parts of the TMB last September, and that area in general, but the route selection would be critical to maximise the ridable trails and minimise the excruciating long HAB bits (up and down hill!).
gairym

Post by gairym »

Dan_K wrote:I'm interested but would August be full of walkers?

As an aside, why include a route with HAB if there are alternative options? I want to ride my bike, not walk! :lol:
Re: August/walkers - It'll certainly be busier in August than mid-September (the lifts close two weeks into Septemeber) but, as happened last year, you might end up getting snow high up which would really get in the way of many of the great Cols/passes on this route.

I suspect that a lot of people might prefer September and so it might well end up being then and so let's see what people say about dates.

Re: the HAB - The high altitude trails around here are steep/technical in places due to what they are and so whilst it is possible to avoid some Cols in adverse conditions or when bailing etc... I think the essence of the thing would be lost if an attempt was made to eliminate HAB altogether (but you'd have .gpx tracks with both options and so you could choose en route what you wanted to do).
ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Definitely enjoyed parts of the TMB last September, and that area in general, but the route selection would be critical to maximise the ridable trails and minimise the excruciating long HAB bits (up and down hill!).
Exactly, both routes are mostly rideable with an unloaded bike and mountain goat legs but, as you saw, there's no escaping the mountains.

That little detour we took around the lake rather than heading up the back of the Col de Bonhomme is a nice example of cutting out the nastier HAB stuff (though to be fair even that is easlier clockwide than anti as you did it on your first trip round) and that still involved no small amount of walking up a bloody big hill.

The thing is that a big part of the character of a long distance bikepacking trip in this area is about getting up high and feeling like you're properly in the Alps. Add to this the sheer joy of some of those (well earned) descents and I'm wary of attempting to tame it too much.

Let's see what the masses have to say on the subject.....
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Sounds great. August and early Sept are usually tricky for me due to family hols and birthdays but you never know.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

oohh... sounds like o great idea, but then

It's on famous hiking trails and close by you find less (by far) traveled paths.
Do it in September and don't stick to the true TMB and HR in all places, but only the crucial ones (if necessary) would be my advice.
gairym wrote:To be fair there wouldn't be much to it other than finding the best two versions of those two routes and stitching the .gpx files together.
With out doing a recce trip?

Snow can really get into your way in any month above 2500 m. More so in September than August, but it's just part of the game in the mountains.
In Switzerland many cablecars/lifts etc. run into October.

I know the Wallis like the back of my hand, let me know if you need some route info, it's likely I can help.

Cheers

Gian
gairym

Post by gairym »

Alpinum wrote:.....Do it in September and don't stick to the true TMB and HR in all places, but only the crucial ones (if necessary) would be my advice.
gairym wrote:To be fair there wouldn't be much to it other than finding the best two versions of those two routes and stitching the .gpx files together.
With out doing a recce trip?
The recce trips are a) a big part of why I want to organise this and b) what I meant by "find the best two versions".

I've done a few variations on the standard TMB route and so know that pretty well.

Have only done the first section of the Haute Route so absolutely open to suggestions and help.

Fancy coming over and riding a some of it with me in the interests of 'research'?

In the 24 hours since going public with the idea it's already pretty apparent that September will be more popular (and obviously much less busy) so looks likely that it'll be then.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

gairym wrote: The recce trips are a) a big part of why I want to organise this
Wise man :-bd
gairym wrote:Fancy coming over and riding a some of it with me in the interests of 'research'??
Love to. It's just a tad over 2 h from my home to Zermatt, 2:30 to St. Luc etc.

Will be off to (a rather flat) Iceland Aug. 20th to Sept 10th and am moving deeper into the Emmental in October by the looks of things, but there will surely be weekends for some fun.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Alpinum wrote:
Will be off to (a rather flat) Iceland Aug. 20th to Sept 10th .
the weather makes up for it ;-)
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

If you went clockwise, would you only do 3/4 of the tmb and pick the haute route up at champex. I hate going back on my self.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Interested. Me thinks if there's too much HAB, the route might become known as Deux Ba(s)tards. :wink:
gairym

Post by gairym »

Ian, that's the literal translation.

Those two routes aren't known for being leisurely strolls through the woods - there's some climbs in 'em!!!
Ian

Post by Ian »

I studied the German at school :oops:
liamg

Post by liamg »

Definitely interested! I walked the HR about 7 years ago and remember it as one of the best trips of my life. I also remember that it's rather steep in a lot of places!
gairym

Post by gairym »

I've thrown the website live switch as although it's not fully finished I wanted to get the ball rolling.

http://www.deux-batards.com

I'll start a proper thread now.....
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

Very interested in this with an early September start.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I'm interested in this too.

Gairy, I know bikes are subjective but do you think this is more of a full suspension route or rigid bikepacking bike route?
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Awww, sounds fab. Would love to see the easier route to tour it. School hols only for me.
Sarah
gairym

Post by gairym »

Scott L wrote:Very interested in this with an early September start.
:-bd
Dan_K wrote:Gairy, I know bikes are subjective but do you think this is more of a full suspension route or rigid bikepacking bike route?
A lot of folks around here are adamant that a high end full sus bike is the only thing capable of tackling these hills but I ride everything from my skinny tyred 29er to my fully rigid 29+ on everything the Alps has to offer and it's all good.

It's at least 50% about being happy climbing and so bouncy isn't necessarily better.
Sarah wrote:Awww, sounds fab. Would love to see the easier route to tour it. School hols only for me.
Happy to help with routes and options if you find yourself fancying something similar at any point, just give me a shout.