Carbon rim repair

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

biggaygibbon

Carbon rim repair

Post by biggaygibbon »

So. I managed to dent/crease a carbon rim at the weekend. Top of the rim, not trail side. Unlucky with a stone strike I think. Not very impressed tbh. They are an expensive brand who I had hoped would make a pretty bombproof set up.

Anyway. Looking at a repair as even under crash replacement it is crazy money.

HQ fibre in Norwich will do a repair for 50-60 quid but won't guarentee a colour match. Carbon bike repair are 150 + VAT standard plus another 50 + VAT for colour match.

Does anyone have any experience of fixing carbon and is there anything I should be aware of? Does seem like a big disparity in price for the fix.....

Cheers
ianfitz

Re: Carbon rim repair

Post by ianfitz »

biggaygibbon wrote:So. I managed to dent/crease a carbon rim at the weekend. Top of the rim, not trail side. Unlucky with a stone strike I think. Not very impressed tbh. They are an expensive brand who I had hoped would make a pretty bombproof set up.

Anyway. Looking at a repair as even under crash replacement it is crazy money.

HQ fibre in Norwich will do a repair for 50-60 quid but won't guarentee a colour match. Carbon bike repair are 150 + VAT standard plus another 50 + VAT for colour match.

Does anyone have any experience of fixing carbon and is there anything I should be aware of? Does seem like a big disparity in price for the fix.....

Cheers

ouch! no experience what ever, I'm not sure I'd be happy with a repaired carbon rim - albeit I have no insight in to what that would consist of.

I use Light Bicycle carbon rims which are less than the higher cost of repair to buy new. They have some through some tough treatment totally unscathed so far...

I'd build another set if I was looking for some more posh wheels.
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

Yeah that doesn't help. :-)

They are ENVE XC rims. Came on a bike. I wouldn't buy them knew but still expect better. Have emailed ENVE.

From reading up about repairs it is fine. The only thing not advised is repairs to a braking surface. But basically carbon is fibre and resin - its repaied with what it is made with. I think with wheels it depends on tension of wheel etc as well. But read an article by Rob Hayles about repair of wheels and some of the GB team are riding wheels that were repaied years ago and they are still going fine.....
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

My OH has a carbon pivot that she bought (very) cheap ex demo because it had a crack running from the bottom of the seatclamp slot. Got it repaired here- http://www.carboncyclerepairs.co.uk/index.html

You wouldn't even know it had been done and it's been going two and a half years with no problem. I could probably find some pictures for you if you want.
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

Thanks they are one of the people I have emailed for a quote.

I will see what ENVE say. They should withstand general XC riding. Even in the Lakes!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Give Tom Sturdy a call at Sturdy Cycles; he's very experienced in working with carbon
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

Dropped him a line. Cheers..
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Matt from spire cycles would also be worth a shout.

http://spirecycles.co.uk/services/carbo ... e-repairs/

He's recently done some work on these:

(photo from PH thread here for full discolosure).
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

It is very confusing. Most placs say yes it can be fixed no problem. But one or two have said they don't touch carbon rims as they can never be the same and they won't take the risk.....
Who to believe.....
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

Is that specifically rim brake rims or rims in general? I've seen a few who won't touch rim brake rims but seem open to disc, different loading cases I suppose.
biggaygibbon

Post by biggaygibbon »

It is disc brake. The guys suggested above have not got the expertise apparently.
There is a firm in London who will colour match and offer lifetime warranty for 150 or an outfit in Norfolk who will do it but not colour match for 60 quid.
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Along the same lines, is there such a thing as lacquer specifically for carbon?