Dynamo made simple

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ZeroDarkBivi

Dynamo made simple

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Very tempted by this KLite, and the website offers a great explanation of what charging setup is required, but is it really as simple as this:

http://www.klite.com.au/#!info/cwhr

Having trawled through various threads here, I was put off by how potentially complex dynamo setups can get; is there anything else besides the info on the KLite web page that I should be aware of? It's been a while since I studied basic electronics...
GregMay

Re: Dynamo made simple

Post by GregMay »

It really isn't that hard TBH - just needs a bit of fettling.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

It's simple. The kLite comes with all the connections on it. Just plus and play. If your using USB as well and you want a switch order the appropriate bits at the same time (Kerry does a handlebar switch or a top catchswitch) and it will plug together. If ordered separately like I did you may have to hard wire the connections instead.
If using Jones Bars I'd suggest asking Kerry for a longer lead from the switch box to the light, the standard wire is short if you want it on top of the bars, underneath though is ok.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

That diagram shows the flow of power through the system. So it goes from the dynamo through the switch to either the dynamo lamp or through the USB converter to the cache battery and then to the GPS/other device/dynamo light. The cache battery can also take power from a solar panel or wall socket. It's described in the "Ideal Scenario" paragraph further down that page but it's slightly miswritten (my changes are in bold):

During the day, the hub sends power to the 'USB converter', that charges a 'cache USB battery' that is plugged into the GPS or phone. The GPS / Phone is topped up all day and does not run from its own internal battery. Once charged, the cache USB battery is kept topped up and fully charged from hub (via dynamo powered USB converter), so when night comes, the switch is set to send power to the lamp and the now charged, 'cache USB battery' runs your USB helmet light, or charges your USB device in camp when you stop.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
landel

Post by landel »

Good review and explanation of the whole setup here:

http://bikepackersmagazine.com/k-lite-review/
jamesatthelodge

Post by jamesatthelodge »

Iv ordered one. Being shipped monday. Klite pro.revo sinwave.free handle bar clamp with light underneath and etrex on top. I just need a pass through cache battery. Kerry is a gent to deal with. Very help ful and knowledable. Oh also got 2 of those hd any mounts. So i can attach my salsa hd cages to any fork with or without bossed Mounts.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

jamesatthelodge wrote:Iv ordered one. Being shipped monday..
Any idea of a delivery date? I recal it was on his site but it's now gone.
jamesatthelodge

Post by jamesatthelodge »

Hopefully by end of the week. I think kerry uses fedex.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

jamesatthelodge wrote:Hopefully by end of the week. I think kerry uses fedex.
pm'd you
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Just pulled the trigger. Shame the exchange rate has bombed this year...
jameso

Post by jameso »

but is it really as simple as this:
My set up is simpler I think but that's no negative of the Klite system, just that with something like a USB-Werk / Sinewave you don't need to switch power between light and item charged or the cache, simply plug in or not. The switch is pretty handy though, I don't think eliminating it is necessarily a positive.

Kerry at Klite knows his stuff, if you want something specific or custom there's no better place to get it. He was really helpful with some info on how things could work when I asked him. Top chap. I was amazed by the Klite headlamp Paul78 had on his bike, really good beam pattern. I have a semi-permanent fitted system in mind for a custom bike that I keep meaning to ask him about once I get the bike on order.