HT550 2016 ITT starters

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

NewRetroTom

Re: HT550 2016 ITT starters

Post by NewRetroTom »

He's almost made it up the Achfary climb - should be hitting the west coast very shortly.

Fond memories.....
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Now on the rollercoaster coast road.......not such fond memories.
Hope the pie shop is still open (unlikely) :cry:

Achmelvich Beach will look gorgeous this evening though
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

He blew through the halfway point but he's going to miss the shop in Lochinver as well as the pie shop. Hope he's got enough scran to get over the Assynt death march :???:
Javi

Post by Javi »

Better stop to sleep at the bothie before Ledmore junction and then maybe breakfast at Oykel Bridge. Going steady Huw
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Quite a relaxed start this morning has given Huw a chance to resupply in Lochinver.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Smart move - good sleep before the tough section - food - rested.

Smart riding.
Howard

Post by Howard »

No movement from Huw's SPOT for a while. Even though I've never met him, he's a like minded spirit out on the trail and it's given me an inkling of what my wife must start to think when my SPOT doesn't move..... Finger's crossed.
touch

Post by touch »

Yeah, hope he's OK. That path down to Ullapool is quite technical in places. There were lots of people walking there when i did it last year so it's not like he's stuck in some remote valley miles from any help.

Maybe just made it down to Ullapool before it updated then turned it off whilst he stopped for lunch.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Raining in Tyndrum now, just when he's going to start the hardest bit after Ullapool. I'd wait until tomorrow with no rain forecasted.
I assume it's raining in all west Scotland.
Javi

Post by Javi »

I can see his spot at Inverbroom lodge and it looks like he's going to go for the hills in the rain! Probably in mind to getto that bothy before the river crossing?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Javi wrote:[...] the hardest bit after Ullapool[...]
Which is the road. It's always the road.

Good going of Huw. Very good going
GregMay wrote:Smart move - good sleep before the tough section - food - rested.

Smart riding.
A solid rest at a crucial point. Very true this. Something to keep in mind :-bd
And roughly half way round. Crucial for the mindset too?

That's what can turn the Fisherfield forest trav. into a bunch of hours of bloody fun.
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

He was just toying with us! He's just been up the newly refurbished trail at the start of the Coffin Road. No more fighting your way through gorse bushes. Still not much riding though!
Ian

Post by Ian »

I noticed he diverted to Suileag Bothy first thing this morning; no idea why though, as its off route. Curiosity?

It took him 3 hours to clear the Ledmore Traverse to the road; not very far, but that is actually pretty good going!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ian wrote:I noticed he diverted to Suileag Bothy first thing this morning; no idea why though, as its off route. Curiosity?

It took him 3 hours to clear the Ledmore Traverse to the road; not very far, but that is actually pretty good going!
Looking for midges.

16 km for the Ledmore traverse?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ian wrote:I noticed he diverted to Suileag Bothy first thing this morning; no idea why though, as its off route. Curiosity?

When you wrote that I thought "it's (Suileag bothy) not far off the track" but looking at the map it appears to be 300 metres or so. Shenavall bothy tonight? Not sure I'd want to push on through Fisherfield to Carnmore unless heavy rain was forecast and get the river crossing out of the way.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

Lochinver to the road before Ledmore Junction is 20km. To the bothy it is 90% rideable, after the bothy 90% unrideable. Anything under 4 hours for this section is good going.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I reckon he was about 20mins quicker on the suilven traverse than me you and Karl, Alan! I guess the rideable bit would still be pretty dry despite the rain today. He's generally made fast progress today - didn't stop for brekky at Oykel Bridge and looks like only stopped briefly at Ullapool. Rain due to clear up tomorrow afternoon then looks drier therafter. Could be on for 6 days and few hours at this rate.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

I noticed he diverted to Suileag Bothy first thing this morning; no idea why though, as its off route. Curiosity?
Ian, it is barely off the route at all. You should know these things! :oops:
touch

Post by touch »

padonbike wrote:Ian, it is barely off the route at all. You should know these things! :oops:
It's not far off route but there's no reason to go up there - you have to come back down the same track to the main path again.

Looks like he's pushed on past the first Fisherfield bothy too and made the river crossing a bit further upstream. Means he'll have a second crossing to do on the other branch of that river. I'm told there is a small bridge over that part somewhere but never noticed it myself?
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

What's he doing now? He's missed the nice bothy and appears to be crossing the river downstream (shortcut?).
Karl

Post by Karl »

Seems like everyone is doing exactly what I'm doing and timing his sections. He's made really good progress today after what seemed like a late start. Its a good idea to get over the river whilst he can. We all know it can change very quickly down there.

I've got some seriously itchy feet to get going.

Keep going Huw, think it's safe to say that we're all impressed with your performance!
Chew

Post by Chew »

boxelder wrote:What's he doing now? He's missed the nice bothy and appears to be crossing the river downstream (shortcut?).
The guidance has always been to 'make safe and wise choices when crossing the river'.

Remember Jenny?
https://twitter.com/Pollyhound/status/6 ... 84/photo/1
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Thats the way I was told to cross by several hillwalking buddies pre HT 2014 but in 2015 I went with the GPX track as I'd just spied boxelder having crossed OK.... I'd have thought that the line on the GPX track should be OK given how dry its been. I'm guessing that Huw has a tent so not bothered by stopping at bothies? or maybe he's going for the wee shelter at Larachantivore. Fair play to him for this days ride :-bd
Chew

Post by Chew »

Spots updated. Hes crossed over now :-bd
Javi

Post by Javi »

I'm getting nervous just by following his dot. Now I can understand my family last year