The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by JohnClimber »

From the bargain thread and now there website is fixed the wife brought some bits to show me yesyerday which I ordered from here http://www.cycle-clothes.co.uk/

1 x http://www.cycle-clothes.co.uk/colle...zip-off-jacket

1 x http://www.cycle-clothes.co.uk/colle...shorts-seconds

1 x http://www.cycle-clothes.co.uk/produ...er-bottle-cage

2 x (Now sold out) http://www.cycle-clothes.co.uk/produ...rshoes-seconds

They look great quality and all for just £25.50 with free postage.
All I have to do it get out of hospital, repair myself and test them out.
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

One of these turned up http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ultralig ... 01590.html . in light grey .
Attachments
ccc.jpg
(309.37 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
1b1.jpg
1b1.jpg (68.59 KiB) Viewed 3908 times
bb1.jpg
bb1.jpg (122.44 KiB) Viewed 3908 times
Last edited by wingnut on Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

That looks like an interesting mash up of a few designs,
What did the price work out at all in ?
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

rowlandpg

Post by rowlandpg »

Looks interesting, how small does it pack down? And how much does it actually weigh? On that page it says 'about 1 kg'.... not the most reassuringly accurate figure.
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

rowlandpg wrote:
Looks interesting, how small does it pack down? And how much does it actually weigh? On that page it says 'about 1 kg'.... not the most reassuringly accurate figure.
Fly sheet weighs 434gms and the inner weighs 503gms on my kitchen scales theres also a ground sheet protector which weighs 142 grams it will compress quite a bit more in a compression sack .
Attachments
size comp 2 min.jpg
size comp 2 min.jpg (113.42 KiB) Viewed 3867 times
size comp min 1.jpg
size comp min 1.jpg (93.15 KiB) Viewed 3867 times
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Cor blimey that's cheap.

Are they made for the average height chinese person though? Which would probably be around my shoulders...
matt147

Post by matt147 »

Looks neat how long did it take to come
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

benp1 wrote:Cor blimey that's cheap.

Are they made for the average height chinese person though? Which would probably be around my shoulders...
If you are over 5" 10 then it would be tight with the inner attached but theres a lot more room without .
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

matt147 wrote:Looks neat how long did it take to come
Ordered on the 24th March and it arrived on the 19th April but there are other postage options .
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

I'm not advising anyone to buy this tent, just that I had looked at it loads of times and could find no information or reviews online so I thought people may want to see what it was like .
I like it but prefer it without the inner and it will be used with a bivi bag , the fabric is more substantial than my ID Silshelter , Silwing and Alpkit bicycle tarps and heavier but i'm happy with what I got for what I paid .
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

A small parcel with 2 Mt Skidmore bottle cage relocation brackets. Arrived 1 week sooner than expected! :grin:
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Arrived a few days ago but a full frame bag made for me by my g/f.
framebag.jpg
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 346 times
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just needs a black BB200 patch to finish it off now :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Just needs a black BB200 patch to finish it off now :wink:
I wanna get a gold one! :wink:
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Just needs a black BB200 patch to finish it off now :wink:
It does, however I'm literally leaving the country on June 1st with limited internet...I'll try to get entered.

Need to sew my DR200 badge on.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

3 x Waterproof bags for £2.79p

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171788335960
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Technically I went to the shop to pick it up - but my new Brompton!

Went for a potter round London before meeting a mate last night, then cycled home. It's nothing like any of my other bikes but I'm liking it so far

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Nice! Would love a folding bike
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Serious question - given the difference in price, are Bromptons that much better than other folding bikes? The equipment fitted as standard appears quite run of the mill.
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Serious question - given the difference in price, are Bromptons that much better than other folding bikes? The equipment fitted as standard appears quite run of the mill.
Equipment is fairly basic to be honest, although it's fairly robust

There's no question that there are cheaper options around, but from the research I did, the Brompton has by far and away the best folding mechanism. This is pretty amazing considering it hasn't changed in ages. It's a doddle to fold it, yesterday alone I folded it, and then opened it to get into the following places - Apple Store in Covent Garden (no bike parking nearby), Palmyra Arch in middle of Trafalgar Sq (nowhere to lock full size bike to), mates 1st floor flat, turkish restaurant, pub. It goes down small, stays folded with picked up by the seat, and folds/unfolds remarkably quickly. If it didn't have those attributes it would have been fairly painful

The other thing is the residuals on a Brompton are way better than most cheaper folders. The more expensive folders e.g. Airnimals have good residuals

My rationale for the Brompton was
- it's a bit of an experiment to see how much I'll use it. Might as well get the folder with the most compact fold I can
- I don't have room for a 5th full size bike at home, see logic above
- If I just want to go for a ride, I have plenty of other options. The packability/portability is the draw
- If I don't get on with it I'll sell it

If you want something cheap, will you notice a massive difference? Probably not.

Random anecdote - I left it in the office next to my desk after I picked it up at lunchtime. 3 separate people saw it and came and asked me about it, they recognised 'Brompton'. Might have happened with a Tern or a Dahon, might not have...

[This was a C2W purchase. If I was buying cash I'd probably consider used and you wouldn't lose any money if you sold it]
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

was my 30th birthday yesterday and the wife had one of these delivered for me :D

which was a surprise and most certainly not something id ever buy for my self (although i have bought a couple for cyclist friends wedding presents). Will be around for a long time i suspect and looks fooking vaguely exciting !

Still the only campag i intend to own ;)

Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Serious question - given the difference in price, are Bromptons that much better than other folding bikes? The equipment fitted as standard appears quite run of the mill.
Not wanting to go too off topic to the thread, I couldn't resist an answer...

I've a very early Brompton I was given as the previous owner had worn it out. A great design and the fold is superb but the ride isn't as nice as the steel framed Dahon (that I was also given!) that I mostly ride. The Brommie's parts are very work-a-day and fit for purpose but not flash. Intyerstignly a number of roadies commute on my train ad there are a lot of Brommies pimped up with a great many Ti farkles...

On my commute into London which is a 1 mile ride to the station and 6 miles at the London end, I much prefer the ride of the Dahon although the fold, whilst OK, isn't as nice, or as compact, but with practice it is quite speedy, but not as elegant as the Brommie. The Dahon's components are a little nicer - 8 speed sram on the one I currently use most days.

I've just been given another Dahon - an alloy framed single speed (can you see a trend here?! :mrgreen: ) and I plan to build it up as a fixed wheel to use, and that only leaves the alloy framed 7 speed Dahon I retrieved from someone, before they threw it in the tip at my local recycling centre - that my wife wants to keep in the car for occasional jollies! just needs the rear wheel rebuilding....
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
jameso

Post by jameso »

Serious question - given the difference in price, are Bromptons that much better than other folding bikes?
Evans sell both and the almost unanimous opionion among staff is that the Brompton is by far the most sound buy. Agree with Dr Nick though, I much prefer how my old 'Rebar' framed Dahon on 20 x 1.75" tyres rides, but if it ever breaks I can see me trying to make a Brompton work for me. Not sure how, but I like the bike/brand enough to try again. Unless I can get the Tern with the 2-spd automatix + coaster brake on the cheap - best folder I've ridden by a mile, really good frame / stem etc, handled well.
Edit to add, sorry Benp1, not intended as a downer on your Brompton at all! 99% of Evans staff would disagree with me here anyway : ) You should see the office, full of pimped or customised Bromptons..
benp1

Post by benp1 »

jameso wrote: Edit to add, sorry Benp1, not intended as a downer on your Brompton at all! 99% of Evans staff would disagree with me here anyway : ) You should see the office, full of pimped or customised Bromptons..

:grin: None taken, even without the edit (though appreciate it anyway)

I really like it, I don't plan to ride big distances on it, but the small folded size and ease of folding were the clinchers. Although I did about 13/14 miles on it yesterday and it was better than expected