1 - 25,000 OS for GPS

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: 1 - 25,000 OS for GPS

Post by benp1 »

I don't think this is specific to our disicipline though, it's the same for map vs gps in every other aspect

Using a map to drive somewhere means you appreciate where you are, and might pick a better route. a GPS means you just follow it (although I know more manually plot a route and then follow it using the GPS)

I also find the GPS not good for making changes, like if I want to take a different route back, or detour/bypass something. Both long local rides I've done recently needed an OS map out to check which way to go as I was running out of time and needed to get back quicker. Would have been possible on the GPS (I have a 1:50l OS map on it) but it's easier and nicer on a real map
Bill

Post by Bill »

BTW I have created a Garmin OSM map of the UK with contours that is styled like the OS maps, but with trails given more emphasis to make them easier to see on a small screen. Let me know if you are interested and I'll upload it somewhere. I've been using it on my Garmin Dakota for 4 months and it it pretty good. It also supports navigation and has POIs.

Yes, OSM may be lacking in data locally, but do your bit and add the trails and make it better for everyone. That said I think OSM is pretty good and there have been occasions where I've seen the OSM maps to be more up-to-date than both Google and OS maps.
Paulini

Post by Paulini »

Hi folks,

Apologies for jumping in, this may be old news for some of you, but I've just bought a couple of OS explorer maps for the WRT and And new maps come with a code to enable you to download the full 1:25k maps to a smartphone that can be used offline. £18 gets you the loveliness of a paper map with full high res gps cleverness on your iPhone/android phone. The OS maps app is free, you'll need to create a free account but the app (and website) has some quite clever route plotting features. Within a national park it will auto plot on rights of way for you, which can save a bit of time.

Can see both points of view with the garmin 800, the screen resolution could be a whole lot better, particularly given the price of them, but I've always found it good enough but then I'm a fan of paper maps so usually have the full map with and use the Garmin as a backup. It's strengths in my mind are the long battery life (compared to an iphone) and route tracking/guiding. The garmin battery won't last on a multi day ride so I tend to carry a smallish portable charging battery thingy that will give an iPhone and the garmin a full recharge if necessary.

Not doubt this has all been said before but thought I'd share my thoughts just in case.

Cheers,
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

It's good isn't it?

I went and bought the new map for my own area based on it! And that my wife had soaked the last one...it didn't like that.
Howard

Post by Howard »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Not very fun for navigating fast for 100+km though....
Absolutely Greg. Just playing Devil's advocate really ... sometimes it appears that we've almost forgotten about them.
err - some of us still have some 1" to the mile OS maps I'll have you know! And a compass. And even used that for real in the hills within the last couple of years too. On the other hand, I've also got a slide rail from school days in the loft - but tend to find the calculator on the iPhone a whole lot easier :wink: