1 - 25,000 OS for GPS

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

1 - 25,000 OS for GPS

Post by JohnClimber »

Anyone know where I/we can get 1 - 25,000 OS mapping for UK coverage for a Garmin at an affordable price?

Any web links please?
GregMay

Re: 1 - 25,000 OS for GPS

Post by GregMay »

Why not use Openstreet Contour maps - free.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Talky toaster maps are pretty good, based on OSM and made to look like OS 25k. I use them on my 520 and been impressed so far.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think when I looked into this it was cheaper to buy a Satmap gps and their 1:25000 scale OS maps than just the 1:25k maps for the garmin. Garmin seemed to have utterly failed to pass on OS's vastly reduced digi mapping prices onto their punters unlike satmap.... OSM isn't really accurate or complete enough to trust - OS every time!
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Think I might pass out the 25,000.
A fellow off here says that the tiny scale is messy and hard to read on the tiny GPS screen
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

htrider wrote:OSM isn't really accurate or complete enough to trust - OS every time!
Sorry, don't agree with you. It works fine when you plot on OS then move it across. In 4 years using OSM maps I've never found issues with them. Sure you may not always be on a ROW - not an issue for you lucky folks up in Scotland - but never had issues with inaccuracies, had the opposite with extra details - new details - that aren't on older OS maps, being on the data set. Wind farms and power lines being the main ones.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

GregMay wrote:
htrider wrote:OSM isn't really accurate or complete enough to trust - OS every time!
Sorry, don't agree with you. It works fine when you plot on OS then move it across. In 4 years using OSM maps I've never found issues with them. Sure you may not always be on a ROW - not an issue for you lucky folks up in Scotland - but never had issues with inaccuracies, had the opposite with extra details - new details - that aren't on older OS maps, being on the data set. Wind farms and power lines being the main ones.

Ditto to what Greg says. Also try downloading bikepackv1 maps.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Aye, the osm map data on daves map is solid. I did once (on the yd200 I think) encounter an actual Tarmac road that wasn't marked after a path junction.

But the other 800 hours I used them for were totally fine!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

OK, but round here OSM has large blank spaces where there are many trails...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote:OK, but round here OSM has large blank spaces where there are many trails...
+1

I do try to add some stuff I ride but that's mostly in my local area. Going to some places it's like a blank sheet of paper.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

htrider wrote:OK, but round here OSM has large blank spaces where there are many trails...
So contribute that data like we do to our own area...thus having better maps.

Hence the open source bit.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

I have both on my garmin.....i still prefer to look at os map. Osm in a similar area to htrider has big gaps or data that some well meaner has added and is complete garbage.

Plus because ive used os for 20 years give or take i can look at it at a glance on the move and understand it wholely and their idea of a single dotted limes and mine are the same. Unfortunantly that doesnt seem to be the case with some osm contributors....

Osm just infuriates me.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Trail-rat wrote:... their idea of a single dotted limes and mine are the same.
Mine are dot free. Normally green too. You should chat with your grocer.

;)
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Your sharp today- i had to read it 3 times to work out what you was talking about :)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Trail-rat wrote:Your sharp today- i had to read it 3 times to work out what you was talking about :)
I've done quite a bit of copy editing. Sometimes I find things that make me laugh.
Howard

Post by Howard »

I have a Garmin Edge 800 and bought a separate card from Talky Toaster to get the off-road detail - but I also found that I was more comfortable with OS, the same as Trail-Rat. So I picked up a second hand Garmin 1:50k card on ebay which is routable etc. I also played with Garmin's Birdseye 1:25k through Basecamp. So I can compare all 3 and I'm not actually happy with any of them - but it may be I haven't got it set up right. I like the OS 1:50k, but if you zoom in the resolution is awful and sometimes when it is navigating a route, it automatically changes the zoom on you after a turning. Very frustrating. The Birdseye 1:25k is high resolution and so you get clarity at what ever zoom level, but following a route is even more frustrating because it overlays the map with a navigation page at the junctions and you lose sight of the map itself. I'm hoping this is something I can work out how to resolve by playing with settings! You have to pay for the Birdseye maps at £20 (for I think 2500km2), but that is a reasonable area. However, that is certainly not a reasonable price if you want full UK coverage, and is only ok if you plan ahead as you have to download it all via Basecamp on a PC (which does work but isn't the most obvious user interface). The final thing I discovered, is that you can have all these different versions on the same SD card, but you have to drill in about 5 levels deep into the settings to enable/disable the one you want. Anybody else got experience of following a GPX track (not created using Garmin tools) using Birdseye?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Me, I'm waiting for something that doesn't require charging or a change of batteries. Something that's hi-res and remains so at all 'zoom' levels. Something inexpensive and easy to use with gloves on. I wish someone would hurry up and sort it out :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

But you live in the wettest place on the face of the planet... how do you open it up without it becoming a soggy mess? (I'm pretty sure you're not a fan of the fancy coated ones)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

But you live in the wettest place on the face of the planet... how do you open it up without it becoming a soggy mess? (I'm pretty sure you're not a fan of the fancy coated ones)
Ah, fancy coated ones can double up as a grounsheet, so any weight penalty is off-set :geek:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Me, I'm waiting for something that doesn't require charging or a change of batteries. Something that's hi-res and remains so at all 'zoom' levels. Something inexpensive and easy to use with gloves on. I wish someone would hurry up and sort it out :wink:

Not very fun for navigating fast for 100+km though....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Absolutely Greg. Just playing Devil's advocate really ... sometimes it appears that we've almost forgotten about them.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Absolutely Greg. Just playing Devil's advocate really ... sometimes it appears that we've almost forgotten about them.
I usually carry maps to cover the area as backup especially if I don't know it that well. I don't have a GPS that displays maps so I need them.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Me, I'm waiting for something that doesn't require charging or a change of batteries. Something that's hi-res and remains so at all 'zoom' levels. Something inexpensive and easy to use with gloves on. I wish someone would hurry up and sort it out :wink:
From my orienteering days I cock a snoot at these "hi tech" portable map users who do not have the ability to memorise the entire trail beforehand. Anyone who goes out into the wild without having committed the entire topography to memory should have a word with themselves.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

From my orienteering days I cock a snoot at these "hi tech" portable map users who do not have the ability to memorise the entire trail beforehand. Anyone who goes out into the wild without having committed the entire topography to memory should have a word with themselves.
That's ^ what I'm talkin' about :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

To be fair, I tend to plot routes on maps before I use a digital tool afterwards.

For fell running and orienteering - always paper. Quicker and easier.