Cairngorm loop grp depart 2016

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: Cairngorm loop grp depart 2016

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ah, so no one used the old two-plank bridge anyway. As you were then.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ScotRoutes wrote:Ah, so no one used the old two-plank bridge anyway. As you were then.
*nods*

*Drinks tea*

*Wanders around internet on works time*

Easter is fun in a university.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Take a bike in and set some Strava KOMs in the corridors?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I need to update the maps. It's on the list after learning Portuguese.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ScotRoutes wrote:Take a bike in and set some Strava KOMs in the corridors?
Interesting idea...the main lab space has quite a thin roof.
atk

Post by atk »

Office racing 'eh...

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Having only ever been in to Glen Feshie once, some questions (I'm at work and the boss sits next to me so firing up a GPX trace isn't a good idea :roll: )

I know where the Allt Garbhlach is, I think we crossed it further uphill and took a faint track through the woods. Where is/was the two plank shonky bridge?

I don't recognise the "new" track undercut by the river in the second of Colin's shots, again I think we were further away from the river (shots 4 - 6 here - http://bobwightman.co.uk/bike/slideshow ... glenfeshie) so were we following the line of the CL route?

Finally any news of the state of the track beyond the bothy?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

GregMay wrote:Route is as per GPX: http://cairngormsloop.net/map.html
Just had a look at this - I thought the end was the Blair Atholl train station, but there appears to be an odd 15km wiggle after that. Anbody able to clarify?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:
GregMay wrote:Route is as per GPX: http://cairngormsloop.net/map.html
Just had a look at this - I thought the end was the Blair Atholl train station, but there appears to be an odd 15km wiggle after that. Anbody able to clarify?
The end is at the clock at the station - Which is not where it starts from. Is that possibly your difference?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

CGl.png
(398.68 KiB) Downloaded 2570 times
Quick check - GPX file looks correct to me.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

AM I JUST GOING TO GET WILDLY LOST FOLLOWING MY GPS TRACK FROM THE WEBSITE AND FALL IN A RIVER IN THE DARK THEN ? ;)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Single Speed George wrote:AM I JUST GOING TO GET WILDLY LOST FOLLOWING MY GPS TRACK FROM THE WEBSITE AND FALL IN A RIVER IN THE DARK THEN ? ;)
Hopefully Mr. Shouty Man.
Single Speed George

Sorry caps lock, but ye hopefully it is easier to route find that seems to be begin made out here ;) by just following the gpx and avoiding the erosion?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm going to remove the wee wall of stones and hope to retrieve some nice bikes and bikepacking gear out of the Feshie
Gari

Post by Gari »

I've got a trailer if you need a hand Colin :cool:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

When I did the route in 2013, I followed the new path from ruigh etchacan bothy to the road alongside the feshie. Steve was cool with that as this is 'the path' and the old route that the GPX follows is now redundant. Interesting that the new path, supposedly built well away from the river to avoid future erosion has fallen into it...

Another thing worth noting is on the run out to Glenmore from Blair Atholl on the west side of the feshie. At the houses at Ballintean the gpx follows the old route of the right of way to the east of the houses but this was diverted a few years ago when a new house was built. It now goes through the houses on a slight dog leg and is well signed from the road. You can still get through on the gpx route but I took the view that you should follow the signed path rather than the old ROW.

The path on the ground as you approach and leave the Eidart bridge on the Geldie / Feshie section also deviates from the path line on the map which the GPX file follows. Again I took the view of following the path on the ground rather than trying to fight your way along a route that pretty much doesn't exist. I reckon this path will be next on COATs list to sort as its getting pretty heavily eroded and sees a lot of use so it will be interesting to see which line they take.

Looking forward to it but I wish the start time was earlier so I can make the Aviemore chippy at the end of day 1 :grin:
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Is it worth asking Steve for an early start?

I've never made it to Aviemore on day 1 - first time I camped about half a mile from the bothy, not knowing it existed (oops) and then second time in the bothy.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote:When I did the route in 2013, I followed the new path from ruigh etchacan bothy to the road alongside the feshie. Steve was cool with that as this is 'the path' and the old route that the GPX follows is now redundant. Interesting that the new path, supposedly built well away from the river to avoid future erosion has fallen into it...
FWIW, the crossing point of the old path has a similar steep drop after that area was also swept away.

(but perhaps I've said too much already....)
Gari wrote:I've got a trailer if you need a hand Colin :cool:
Can you carry the body bags in?
Nikk

Post by Nikk »

Would an updated GPS file be possible to produce that accounted for some / all of the changes in the course? There were a few times in 2013 where I was wandering about trying to find the 'path' where none existed. I just followed the GPS as exactly as possible, but it was weird to have to leave a good path and wander thru a new plantation / someones garden etc...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Nikk wrote:Would an updated GPS file be possible to produce that accounted for some / all of the changes in the course? There were a few times in 2013 where I was wandering about trying to find the 'path' where none existed. I just followed the GPS as exactly as possible, but it was weird to have to leave a good path and wander thru a new plantation / someones garden etc...

Probably worth emailing Steve - seeing as it's his "thing" .

FWIW, I'm not certain it needs to be any more detailed than it is. Common sense should prevail - if the GPS trace goes that way - and you're 10-50m off to the side but still going that way, it's all good.
Single Speed George

GregMay wrote: FWIW, I'm not certain it needs to be any more detailed than it is. Common sense should prevail - if the GPS trace goes that way - and you're 10-50m off to the side but still going that way, it's all good.
so the slight path changes etc are pretty obvious on the ground (in daylight anyway) where new tracks go etc ?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Where the newer path is in Feshie you'll struggle to find the old one.
Howard

Post by Howard »

Justchris wrote:
Howard wrote:Got the opportunity to do some training on the John Muir Way on Sunday. There's a nice section of undulating sandy single track - at times as easy as cycling through mud. It's only about 10m from the road and every one of the dozen or so roadies who went past on the tarmac looked at me as if I was a nutter :lol:
I was looking at the John Muir Way yesterday when I should have been working, I had actually never come across it before. I was wondering if the bits that are cycling alternatives were too easy and just do the 'walking' bits, or stick to them.

Thanks

Chris
Chris, sorry for delay in responding. I did the section from Dunbar back to Edinburgh. All the "walking" bits were rideable, a bit muddy, a bit sandy, and you could even practice getting wet through a ford ( I used the footbridge!), and I think the road alternative is only for people who won't go off a hard surface. You have to concentrate in Edinburgh to not lose the path and it's not much fun in the traffic really. I was running out of time so I actually stayed on the canal to get back to Falkirk. I don't know what it's like in the west. Hope that helps.
touch

Post by touch »

ScotRoutes wrote:Where the newer path is in Feshie you'll struggle to find the old one.
I'll admit to getting slightly confused by the GPX track at the crossing in feshie last year.

In my defence, it was 10pm by the time I got there - it was dark and I was tired :|
philipft

Post by philipft »

Dropping my son of in Perth on Friday for the youth tour of Scotland and planning to sneak off and ride the route before I collect him on Monday so should be able to see which bits still exist :shock: