Ti frame care

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

Ti frame care

Post by Mariner »

Ti seems surprisingly soft and prone to water marks if I use water to clean the frame.
STW seems to think WD40 is the answer sprayed on a cloth for cleaning.
I would also like to polish out some scratches.
Can anyone recommend things for cleaning and polishing out scratches?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
GregMay

Re: Ti frame care

Post by GregMay »

I've mostly used my frame bags.

Brushed Ti frame is destined to have a nice patina - I'm just helping it along.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Something like Solvol should be fine for polishing out light scratches but once you do a bit, you'll probably find you need to do the entire frame if you want it to have an even finish.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Care less. For me, an advantage of Ti is that it will take a bit of abuse. Mostly, my frames are allowed to dry and then they get a once-over with a soft, dry brush.

Brasso/Duraglit works well if you want to polish it up a bit.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

+1

Care less. I do nothing to mine, it has some great patina where the bags were strapped on for TD. I love how things show their level of use. King headset is missing loads of blue anno from fuel pod rubbing, brake lever clamps and shifter are all silver where black anno has worn off from resting on them on the flat.

I also find months worth of mud is a good look.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I'd like to polish out the dink I have on the top tube (no idea how it got there), but I will have to just keep ignoring it instead.

Should I be worried? I too though a Ti frame would be more resistant to damage...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've always been slightly obsessive about keeping my bikes clean and well looked after. After a ride of only 20 miles I'll wash it, dry off, lube the chain with a single drop applied to each link, spray the forks with fork juice, lube the pedals etc. and then it's ready for the next ride. However, I've also ridden it for 70 miles, left it outside on the ground overnight covered in mud and grime whilst I slept next to it, got up the next day and ridden another 60 miles with no noticeable difference to if I had started with a clean bike, so maybe my every ride cleaning ritual is a bit excessive :ugeek:

I've recently treated my frame, albeit painted steel, to a coat of Muc-Off Uber Wax. It was on special offer in a local TK Maxx. It's not something I'd heard of until finding it in there but since being waxed it does seem to clean up easier so if you want to maintain the finish then it might be worth a try. I would guess that there are cheaper alternatives to the Muc-Off wax which is rather pricey for the size of the tub if you have to pay full price. I'm guessing it aimed high end road bikes with wealthy owners.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

The advantage of Ti for me is that, like above, I've given up caring. I reasoned I couldn't possibly keep it pristine on the TD so might as well just go with the flow. Nicely worn in patina for me. :cool:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Mariner wrote:Ti seems surprisingly soft and prone to water marks if I use water to clean the frame.
PH neutral car shampoo and soft water if you can. Failing that, use a microfibre cloth to dry, with something akin to gtechniq c2 (car detailing stuff).
Mariner wrote: Can anyone recommend things for cleaning and polishing out scratches?
Depends on the finish of your frame, but the correct grade emery if the answer to that, assuming an lacquered frame.

It's a MTB though, it's bound to pick up these marks.

HTH
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Depends on the finish of your frame, but the correct grade emery if the answer to that, assuming an lacquered frame.
Why would anyone laquer a Ti frame? :???:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Why would anyone laquer a Ti frame? :???:
Sorry I meant to type "unlacquered" - more as a caveat. :oops:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

+3 Dust off the dried on stuff.

Maybe hose it down if it's really bad and spray GT85 over it afterwards if I can be bothered
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

OK the patina wins. :-bd
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Not sure I've ever done anything to mine. Must have washed it at find point I suppose...
Pat

Post by Pat »

Scotchbrite pad works wonders if the current finish is suitable.....I use the cheap tesco scourers ,sponge one side, green scratch the other....£1 for six :grin:
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

I give mines a wipe over with GT85 and for light scratches I use a kind of man made scouring pad I believe you get different grades, if I said green pad you might be able to picture what I'm meaning better.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

Mines is shiny from he frame bag and cable rub.

The rest of its just dull.

Seems to function as well as it did when it was new :)

Looks far better than my painted frames would at 7 years old......had i ever kept a painted mtb that long......
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

Im in the low maintenance camp, too.
Every Ti frame I have had I have had bead blasted, to get rid of all the logos/ decals etc. I like bikes to be low key, utilitarian. Also keeps the thieving scroats eyes off them as it hasn't got some brand name on it!
I feel happy to lean it up wherever I like, stick it on trains, shove it in the back of cars and vans, as I know the odd scratch and ding is not really going to harm it. It just seems to work each time I ride it.
Its going to be around a lot longer than any aluminium or steel frame.
One less thing to worry about really!