Which saddle?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Which saddle?

Post by ootini »

The standard issue KTM line saddle on my hard tail is starting to look a bit bedraggled. As such, I'm going to have to replace it, and there in lies the rub!
It seems that Brookes Cambium saddles are revered, and have a price tag to show for this, but I'm not sure I understand what is so special about them? Can anyone explain in a nutshell? The Brookes website just seems to bleat on about style and elegance, whilst weeping for antiquity. With that in mind, which Brookes Cambium saddle is the "general purpose" one? There's a lot of options available, but from what I can tell the C15 and C17 seem to be most popular within this parish. Again, any thoughts on why?
And then the ultimate question I guess, if not one of the above Brookes models, what else is worth considering? To be honest, I had no real complaints with the KTM saddle, I just feel that I've nothing to compare it against, and that if I were to plump for a Brookes, or other, my bum may well thank me for it.

I've also heard the Charge Spoon is a popular choice, but again, I have no real understanding of why.
jam bo

Re: Which saddle?

Post by jam bo »

I've also heard the Charge Spoon is a popular choice, but again, I have no real understanding of why.
comfy (for me) and cheap. got them on all three bikes.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a Bontrager something or other on the Reverb and a Charge Spoon on the basic seat post (I change between the two depending on whether I'm doing "technical" riding or bikepacking) - don't notice much difference TBH.

The "thing" with Brooks or any leather saddle or indeed leather apparel is that they mould to you (break in) over time (allegedly) so once you've worn it it then it fits you perfectly.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
atk

Post by atk »

There's no silver bullet for saddles, you need to find what works for you. There are plenty of variables - width, length, padding (or lack of), material, cutouts etc.

If you want to try a Cambium, most Brooks dealers had test versions when they were first released, go have a chat with your local one and give it a go for a few days and see what you think.
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

There's enough people out there lauding Brooks that I don't doubt their quality. There's a couple of issue though that keep me away from them. Firstly there's a break in period which I'm just too lazy to bother with. Some people reckon anywhere up to a month of regular riding. I don't fancy a month of a sore arse. Secondly, I would be hesitant for using one for anything that involves significant off road. Touring, even in the rain, is one thing, getting covered in mud, being left exposed among soggy heather and bracken is another. It's a lot of money for something that could get easily trashed. That said, I understand they're a brilliant option for those that like to ride padless.

Fortunately for me, I've found the Selle Italia Trans Am XO. Fit's me brilliantly and very comfy, even for the longer, tougher events that I've ridden.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

charge spoon ! really great , have had them on many bikes for many years
ootini

Post by ootini »

Cheers folks, I think for £20 I'll give the spoon a whirl, if it's not for me, may be I'll try a Brookes. Ta.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I've got a black C15 Cambium that I've been meaning to Ebay if anyone wan't to make a sensible offer. It's probably done around 100 miles, my backside didn't like it. I think I've got a Charge Knife somewhere too.

My saddle of choice isn't the cheapest but it works for me, SMP Dynamic.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Brooks Cambium saddles do not need to be broken in - they are not leather!!

The best part about them is - no hard plastic frame to sit on. All other types of saddle have some foam/gel/whatever over a plastic/carbon shell. Dependent of how much you spend will depend on the type and quality of materials used.

The Cambium has no shell to sit on, you sit on a thick rubber and canvas saddle and that is the joy of them, nothing hard to sit on. And as you bounce along, you are naturally suspended, again adding to comfort. The more you use one the better it gets in my opinion, maybe there is some small degree of relaxing of the rubber with age?

the only draw back (besides the weight) is the canvas is bonded into the rubber and the Welsh Git grinds away at the canvas, making it look bad relatively quickly. Off road muddy conditions and longevity mmmm I don't think so.Oh, and they don't half smell of rubber in hot sunshine.

I personally like them.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I have a B17, didn't need any breaking in, most comfy saddle
I've ever had, fits like an old friend, they do take a little upkeep,
I purchased mine from Shona at Keeppedaling,she told me a
Few pointers on looking after it ( quite minimal really) and as
Promised, it's delivered and her advice was spot on.
I wouldn't hesitate in buying another :-bd
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

I have a wtb rocket. Have had three. Currently have a titanium rail one. Best yet. Have a titanium railed San Marco as well. Imo the titanium is worth it, if your chosen model has it.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Spoons are good for the price and I've bought a few over the years. I find they don't last long though - it's as if the padding loses effectiveness or the shell changes shape after a while.

Specialized 143mm saddles are about the same size, feel as comfy when new and seem to last for ever.

I guess it's a cost vs value thing.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I have a Charge Scoop on mine, which I love, and I was going to put another on my next two bikes, but the bastards have stopped doing it. :(
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Pirahna wrote:I've got a black C15 Cambium that I've been meaning to Ebay if anyone wan't to make a sensible offer. It's probably done around 100 miles, my backside didn't like it. I think I've got a Charge Knife somewhere too.

I've £65 in my Paypal I'd happily gift over if you think that's a fair offer?
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Me and Dan have the male and female version of the Brooks B17. His is on a Genesis Longitude (original model) and is quite soft and supple now. Mine is still fairly stiff by comparison though we both find them comfortable.

I believe that heavier people will break in a saddle quicker than a lighter person based on similar miles covered. Being black and susceptible to rain induced soaking, the saddles can leave a dirty looking skid mark on pale clothing, which can look slightly dodgy.

http://www.farawayvisions.com/falling-i ... ks-saddle/
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Great write up,couldn't agree more :wink:
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Do you have a 'wide arse'?

I have ridden various saddles and always the wide ones suited me e.g. Specialized 143 width or equivalent. So generally I would seek out the widest 'normal'* saddles I could find. The Forza 145mm Cirrus saddle was good and then they stopped making it (although you can still buy them). However my current C17 is definitely the comfiest I've ridden. Is it five times more comfortable? Probably not, lets see how it lasts...

*by normal i mean not massive padded sofa seat things. Just straight saddles.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

143mm is the "middle" Specialized width

(Twas always thus)
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

ScotRoutes wrote:143mm is the "middle" Specialized width
...has it changed or am I going mad? :shock:

EDIT: Looking at the website 143 is now the smallest width!! There never used to be a 155 and 168 in Spesh saddles I'm sure.
Last edited by ctznsmith on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You want a serious answer?
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

ScotRoutes wrote:You want a serious answer?
...fair enough.

*commits self to asylum* :oops:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

ScotRoutes wrote:Toupe in 130, 143 and 155 here

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Specia ... -2015/2RV9
Wait...you just proved my point I think.

Toupe on the Spesh website has no 130 anymore.
https://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/compo ... oup/105473

Other saddles now have a 168 width as well.
Pat

Post by Pat »

I was lucky enough to be chosen as one of the original 100 worldwide testers for the cambium....I still have no idea how I blagged that! I love mine though, and have put many, many miles on it, on all different types of bikes. The rubber does give though....I wore the original top out after about 4000 miles or so, and the rivets at the back stretched out, so that my hoop hit the top of the thompson seatpin....I first adapted some chainring bolts into the holes to reinforce them, then I phoned Brooks and they sent me a new top and some bolts for free! Now it's a bit 'trigger's saddle', but I love it!
Attachments
image.jpg
(859.69 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

Boring flat 143mm specialized saddles (toupe/riva/henge) or selle italia max flow for me. Both last ages and fit me, which is all you can ask for from a saddle! Can't believe a brooks failed after 4000 miles - that doesn't seem right?