Gopro hints and tips

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Keiracon

Gopro hints and tips

Post by Keiracon »

I unexpectedly was given a gopro as a birthday present. Not something I'd have thought about buying for myself, but rather pleased now I have it. I know a number on here use them with fantastic results. Any tips you care to pass on, both with shooting video and editing. Thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Gopro hints and tips

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My advice would be ... jaunty camera angles and swearing, lots of swearing :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

And up the nose shots.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I wrote two pieces on the filming of my highland trail video that you might find useful:

http://ianbarrington.com/2014/06/19/hig ... wn-part-1/

http://ianbarrington.com/2014/07/08/hig ... wn-part-2/
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

great video and tips :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I started with Ian's tips :-bd (plus stuff in a PM)

Basically shoot loads, if you've got time shoot the same bit of riding from different angles then you can edit them together.
Get a soundtrack then edit to the beats of the music.
Short clips are generally better than long ones though scenic ones can work especially as intro or exit sequences.
Use simple transitions between clips - either a straight cut or maybe a fade.
Watch loads of videos on Vimeo and YouTube and figure out what works and what doesn't.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ian

Post by Ian »

One other tip worth considering; if your primary objective is to film, then focus on that. If you want to go on a long and committing route and take your GoPro to capture it effectively, either the filming or your ability to complete your planned route will be compromised. Pick one or the other, basically, or lower your expectations in terms of route distance or difficulty.

When I filmed The Lighthouse, it was a 40 mile ride that I'd done before and knew well, but it still literally took all day - sunrise to sunset.

https://vimeo.com/112529028
Keiracon

Post by Keiracon »

Thanks everyone, just what I was looking for
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:My advice would be ... jaunty camera angles and swearing, lots of swearing :-bd
I read that in the voice of Dave Barter :lol:
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Thanks - just bought a gopro hero 3+ so this is just the kind of info I've been looking for.

How do you go about using music without getting your video pulled?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

If you register with Vimeo you get access to a selection of low cost or free to use music, sure it's not the latest top-ten smash but it's more than enough for most.

A point hinted at by Ian is to try and tell a story rather than just a series of shots of you riding.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ian

Post by Ian »

Regarding licenced music; there are a number of tricks getting licenced music to stick on Vimeo, but I'm not explaining them here.
Alternatively, post to YouTube and just use whatever tune you like...

For the free Vimeo stuff; some of it is really good - my WRT video for example - https://vimeo.com/ianbarrington/wrt2015 - uses free music.

Being familiar with a pieces of music helps. Download lots and listen to lots to understand how different scenes will fit to it. I have a list of dozens of tracks I'd like to put a bike film to, based on different locations, time of year, type of bike, tide level, wind direction etc :ugeek:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

RobMac wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:My advice would be ... jaunty camera angles and swearing, lots of swearing :-bd
I read that in the voice of Dave Barter :lol:
W@nker

BTW, I disagree with Ian on this
If you want to go on a long and committing route and take your GoPro to capture it effectively, either the filming or your ability to complete your planned route will be compromised
I don't see ad-hoc filming as compromised. Sometimes it is a million times better than a lovely staged pan shot. I can only watch so many ace riders in ace conditions take berms in an ace way. These days I prefer a decent bit of swearing, falling off and incident. I'm not sure "compromised" is the right word.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Ian

Post by Ian »

Fair enough; it was a comment from experience as much as anything else. Filming takes time, especially off bike sequences like wide landscape shots featuring the rider, riding through rivers or bunnyhopping stuff etc. Whenever I've set to ride x miles, I've either come up short on distance or arrived at the end later than planned. Depends what sort of film you want to produce of course :smile:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Ian wrote:. Depends what sort of film you want to produce of course :smile:
This.

When the first vlogs came out, it was original. Now every teen with a webcam is doing one about some meaningless drivel - it's worse than trash TV. Although then and now along comes a gem, I like mr B's (deliberately left vague as to who I'm referring to :wink: ) originality :-bd , but what we (as members of a bikepacking community) like to view may well be skewed by our interests.

So yeah, depends what you wanna do - but something with decent production value - will take time, there's no way around that. I learn that in the late noughties, and haven't video edited since :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Dave Barter wrote:
I don't see ad-hoc filming as compromised. Sometimes it is a million times better than a lovely staged pan shot. I can only watch so many ace riders in ace conditions take berms in an ace way. These days I prefer a decent bit of swearing, falling off and incident. I'm not sure "compromised" is the right word.

17hours of man in car ranting before any riding seen best to be avoided though ;)

Ok, maybe it wasn't quite 17 hours Dave...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

The best bit of feedback I ever get about my writing is nothing to do with actual cycling, it's about a few paras I wrote concerning going in and out of the garage as you forget stuff pre-ride. Many seem to identify with that more than some fluffy shuffle about swooping like an eagle down a twisty descent. I wish more people would hack together some old crap on a camera and get it up there, I think it's sad that Zippy has stopped simply because of "production values". I feel the same with writing. It's about sharing our own views of the world rather than portraying them as someone else's. My own world view is mainly ranting in a car, shaking all over the place, swearing and generally getting it wrong. A polished video from me would be bullshit, it would be "compromised" becuase it would not represent my shonkiness. But then I'm getting on a bit now, I opened Singletrack mag the other day and closed it about 5 minutes later as all the pictures are nice and elbows out etc... I can't identify with that any more.

I completely get where you are coming from Ian. If you want to make a video with high production values it will be compromised. I guess my point is "don't let that stop you though!".
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Ian

Post by Ian »

I suppose the example that disproves my point is this: https://vimeo.com/121655430

Completely unplanned ride, freezing cold conditions (-8 degrees C) so no time to hang around setting up for too long, hadn't a clue where we were going, riding with two guys I barely knew, nothing much to stand the camera on so lots of hand held stuff etc. Turned out to be one of my most memorable rides and I what I produced from it is probably my favourite film to date :-bd