Advice on Caingorms Outer loop

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

KamelTrek

Advice on Caingorms Outer loop

Post by KamelTrek »

Hi All - I'm doing the Cairngorms outer loop with four other riders. Starting at Blair Atholl on Friday May 20th in the morning. Plan is to stay overnight in Aviemore on the first night, and Braemar on the second night, then back to Blair Atholl on the Sunday to catch a train back to London.

Open to any advice or recommendations, espcially on places to stay and things to do in Aviemore and Braemar.

Thanks!
Ash....
ScotRoutes

Re: Advice on Caingorms Outer loop

Post by ScotRoutes »

Aviemore ;

Bunkhouse for accommodation. Pub is next door (currently undergoing flood repair). La Taverna for all-you-can eat pasta / pizza buffet. Mambos for post-dinner drinks then on to The Vault until 3am. :-)

Braemar;

If you're looking to eat then book ahead. There's not much choice and it gets busy.

Blair Atholl;

If you need accommodation and you've not already booked then try the Dalgreine Guest House. Very popular with cyclists and has a shed for bikes.
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

Perfect. Thank you!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Theres some woods on the route, about 10 or 15 mins out of breamar that work for wild camping. Turn left off the road up any of the tracks and find a flat spot.

Also, Its very easy road out of breamar until the linn of dee. Lots of camping in the linn. Beautiful too.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

http://braemarscotland.co.uk

For most Braemar needs.

But as others have said plenty of places for wild camping before and after Braemar. Or the youth hostel is pretty good if you want an extended sleep.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

How fit is the group? We had a couple of guys who weren't regular riders so did the loop over 3 nights - wild camped outside Kingussie the first night, tomintoul on 2nd and Braemar on the last.

We had an evening meal in the Invercauld arms at Braemar and it was decent. There is a little cafe called the Bothy (next to the river) which did a cracking cooked breakfast too.

Here is a little write up I did with some pictures:

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =10&t=5612
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

rudedog wrote:How fit is the group? We had a couple of guys who weren't regular riders so did the loop over 3 nights - wild camped outside Kingussie the first night, tomintoul on 2nd and Braemar on the last.

We had an evening meal in the Invercauld arms at Braemar and it was decent. There is a little cafe called the Bothy (next to the river) which did a cracking cooked breakfast too.

Here is a little write up I did with some pictures:

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =10&t=5612
Thanks for sharing the write up. It was very helpful and inspiring. We are all quite fit and can do it in two days. Starting Friday at 7 am Blair Atholl. First night staying at the Bunkhouse in Aviemore. Saturday we ride to Braemar and staying at the Rucksack. Finishing Sunday afternoon back in Blair Atholl.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

If your reasonably fit, and you leave Blair at 7am, you will make aviemore by midday. That would include a bit of getting lost as well. I am just saying you might want to relax the schedule a bit more on the first day, If your set on your stopovers.

It would be great if you could take a load of pictures. I have done most of the cairngorm loop, but I don't remember very much of the scenery. I spent most of it with my head down looking at a gps.

Thanks.

Chris

Rudedog just had a look at your great photos and I recognised a few of them. Thanks