Garmin edge touring

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

tonyb

Garmin edge touring

Post by tonyb »

Just got one and want to get os maps on it but why they so expensive ?
Any cheap options or the maps that come on it good enough ?
quimarche

Re: Garmin edge touring

Post by quimarche »

johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

The touring already comes with OSM maps, I don't think the included maps are that bad. My friend has one and I'm sure it showed paths that weren't on my OS maps.
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

The maps on it are OK but can be a bit fickle. Symbols are inverted so long dashes are footpaths and short dashes are bridleways. Sometimes the paths it indicates don't really exist or are of a different class and sometimes it puts in things that are there that don't show up on OS.

By and large you'll find stuff to ride on and it will serve you well enough. However sometimes you may find you need to choose between backtracking and your own personal views on a spot of civil trespass.
tonyb

Post by tonyb »

Cheers ,I'll see how I get on with it before I upgrade maps
Gari

Post by Gari »

I have been toying with getting one of these for touring so will be interested to see how you get on with it.
As I understand it you can download and mount maps from here http://www.openfietsmap.nl I have the Europe and Iceland ones on Basecamp and they are very good, you can even mount them into Oruxmaps on an android phone.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

If you are happy using those free maps then you might as well see about getting another model that you aren't paying for the maps with. I have to say that the 810 with Bluetooth ride uploads is very handy.