Do you know the weight of your bike and kit?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: Do you know the weight of your bike and kit?

Post by whitestone »

Ian wrote:52lbs 6oz wet :|

... I'm sure it wasn't that heavy when I set off in dry conditions on Thursday :???:
Got a wool coated bike then Ian? :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
trail717

Post by trail717 »

Weighing one’s bike & kit…….

My perspective is don’t let anyone’s opinion on the matter influence you too much.

That said here is my viewpoint:
Obviously building up a setup that is too light is fraught with risk. But carrying more than you individually need is a beginner’s botch and will lessen one’s experience whether race or tour. So use the scale as a tool if desired, on the other hand with experience the scale is not that important.

Personally I still weigh my final set up. I use the Bike + Kit but ‘no food or water’ system to weigh. To me weighing is still a good tool, but one that I use less now than back when. However I am still always curious what my final build up is before an important multi day race.

My 2015 TDR setup was 31.8lbs. Just tonight weighed out my final Stagecoach 400 set up at 35.8lbs. Basically it’s the same setup as for the TDR but with a fuller sleep system and the bike now has 2X vs 1X, FS vs rigid and meatier tires. As you can see I could easily go lighter but as others have pointed out, in the end it’s not the weight per say but rather achieving the build you want for a particular event. I suspect my HT 500 set up will come in between 36 and 37 lbs………

Oh, and has also been mentioned, excess body weight (ie: fitness) vs excess bike/kit is truly, by far the bigger factor
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

Agree that losing weight is the way to go, but it's nowhere near as much fun. I have access to DEXA, bod pod, etc. From DEXA, at 68kg, I'm 7.2% body fat. I'm currently 71.2kg. I know I feel much better on the bike sub 70kg, but keep my weight down in my job (utterly sedentary) means watching the calories, regular weighing, and a fair bit of self denial (albeit as a health psych, I'm up to speed with the literature of increasing satiety and hacking mindless eating). Still, it feels a bit like cultivating an eating disorder, and whilst cyclist coo "ooh you are looking trim", everyone else asks if you have cancer, or implies you have an eating disorder.

In contrast, geeking out on lightweight kit is just fun. I took my roadbike from 8.05kg down to 7.39kg this month, and my audax saddlepack and kit from 700gm to 330gm. Will I feel that? Maybe, but the bike looks lovely.

My BB200 kit + bike came in at 32.5lbs (why do we weigh mtbs in lbs and road bikes in kg?). I thought that was pretty light for a 29+ setup, but I think I could get at least .5kg out of that with stuff I gotten since. As it was, i'd taken too few tube, and the tubes I'd taken were too small. I'm very tempted by carbon rims. Maybe when I'm back down to 68kg.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

No...but now I'm curious. :roll:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Weighing MTBs in Lbs and road bikes in Kg? Possibly because MTBs started in the States and road biking (or rather racing) is very much European centric.

I use Kg for everything except me on the bathroom scales but that's mainly because the readable scale is in Stones/pounds. Whenever someone quotes a weight in pounds I'll convert it to Kilos.

There was the Brit who rowed across the Pacific the other month (well it took him longer than a month but he finished last month) and a newsreader commented on "how thin" he was, no, it's just that folk are fat and the newsreader saw that state as "normal". My commute is about 21Km, if I do that every day on the bike then I soon start losing weight even though I take it steady - we've no showers at work so raising a sweat isn't a good idea :oops:

Yes, shiny new kit is great isn't it :grin: The main problem is it lightens the wallet rather too much. A lot of the kit I use is my old climbing stuff from the 1980s, what was regarded as lightweight and state of the art back then is positively Jurassic now.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry