Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: Todays ride

Post by benp1 »

Ian wrote:A 53 km "recovery ride" on the singlespeed today. It's been somewhat neglected of late, and I'd forgotten just how quick it was up hills.

Anyhow, January distance target hit: 1000 km of mostly off road riding and 19,500 metres of ascent. Pleased with the start to the year so far :smile:
Clearly that's all thanks to a 'quick' bike...

I was quite pleased with my 575km (mainly commuting), that puts me to shame.
Ian

Post by Ian »

benp1 wrote:
Ian wrote:A 53 km "recovery ride" on the singlespeed today. It's been somewhat neglected of late, and I'd forgotten just how quick it was up hills.

Anyhow, January distance target hit: 1000 km of mostly off road riding and 19,500 metres of ascent. Pleased with the start to the year so far :smile:

Yeah, I didn't mean for that to come across as willy waving :oops: I was just pleased to have completed a target I set myself at the beginning of Jan - not for it to be a benchmark for others as such :???:
That's the thing with personal goals - they're not really comparable between individuals...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

After a January with some minor illness/lurgy plaguing the house I'm trying to put some miles in this month too.

quite pleased with 88km and 1200m for a work day! Ride to work, some 'office hours commuting' dropping the van at the good but far away garage, then the monday night group ride, with only me out...
FLV

Post by FLV »

ianfitz wrote:, then the monday night group ride, with only me out...
Oi, I was out...

*in Warwickshire
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

FLV wrote:
*in Warwickshire
Sounds like JLR territory...!?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Zippy wrote:
FLV wrote:
*in Warwickshire
Sounds like JLR territory...!?
Nope. Been there, done that.
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Had a great 60k ride up and around ladybower and Stanage in the Peak District today. Felling very happy now, especially as I'm out on bike tomorrow as well. :-bd
Weather was a crap but really enjoyed the solitude it provided. Only saw one other rider and a few walkers at the visitors centre while eating my hot dog.
I love riding mid week. and I love my krampus, even when pushing it up the beast.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Met burty at cannock and squeezed a quick few miles in between my nights ;0)
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

After 25 miles in a bracing wind on a pogie trial day, I bailed out with 4 miles left to ride home. Ducked into a cafe, ordered hot chocolate with marshmallows and cream and waited for Dan to ride home, and come back in the car to pick me up. I've developed something odd in my knee and am in pain - a lot of pain.
burty

Post by burty »

met up with mike up Cannock chase . no dogging in sight :shock:
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

A good couple of hours around Wyming Brook and Ughill Moor on the edge of Sheffield. Ferocious headwind on the way out, much easier on the way back though! Good to catch up with Paul.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

Pootling around to the Fargo today before the rain arrived :-bd
Last edited by Motorman on Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Nothing spectacular just Star Cross and back 84k on NR2 same old same old except today I christened Alexandra Stooge. Apart from a couple of short rides round town and up and down the road I have not been out doing proper riding yet. Yesterday all the omens were good – mainly weather related - so transferred last bits from old hack and was all ready to go.
I Intended to leave at eight this morning but it was raining stair-rods so spuddled about, fitted a new seat cover in the car, chatted to the scaffolders who turned up to take their scaffolding away, and by ten the sun was shining so set off.
The riding position was everything I had hoped for. Andrew made some suggestions regarding seat post type so I set it up to my riding height with the Jones Loops at the same height. I thought it pretty much spot on although might just raise the seat a smiggen. I am using a B17 which holds me at just the correct position so pedaling is fairly easy with no weight on my hands and wrists. Bliss. :grin:
Interesting that the mighty 2.8 Trailblazer did exactly what my knackered old Mountain King did in the glupe up behind the golf course, which was to spin out and leave me foot down in it and having to walk. Everything was fine across Mutters Moor so I wound it up and arrived at the top of the rock garden decent to the main road with double vision. The new bike got a real covering in the stickiest glupiest mud and then later the road was flooded beyond the bird reserve on the back road into Budleigh. To start with it only covered the front rim then it was up to the pedals then the BB which meant I had to stop and ring out my socks once I reached dry ground.
Rest of the ride was uneventful apart from cold feet and the front saddle bolt coming loose and wrecking the seat position. Tried to fix it only to discover that the multi-tool I have been carrying about for several years has Allen keys in 2mm increments which meant I had too big and too small. :roll: I will sort out the seat position tomorrow.
Still getting used to the new gearing, which is 2 x 11. I got used the old 3 x 9 where I could sit all day on the middle ring and use all the rear gears. With this set up I am more conscious of upper and lower limits between front rings. What I did enjoy was on the long straights down the Exe I can lean forward on the Jones bar find just the right gear and cadence then just eat up the miles. It just feels right. :grin:
Still need to sort out tyre pressures as front tyre is not really absorbing the hits. Also need to decide between replacing WTBs with 650b Maxxis or Conti or trying 29er with TK and MK. Any one got some 29er wheels 15mm front axle 135 QR rear I can borrow? :roll:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Half decent weather today for once! Mostly.

88km/2200m around the peaks. Seeking out some of the less soggy tracks. Things are actually starting to dry out a bit at last...

Did hail on me for the last hour though
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

More ridiculously hard snow biking today. I was out for 7 hours and did 30 odd miles, 15 of which were on road or tracks.... now quite tired
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

A short local loop today...Shrewsbury to Long Mynd on the back lanes, up and over the tops then dropping back down to home. After a lot of rest, it's nice to finally ride without a niggling hamstring twinge that I've been carrying for a year. Also nice to get a 4 hour session in with no rain! :)

Greetz

S.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Ian wrote:
benp1 wrote:

Yeah, I didn't mean for that to come across as willy waving :oops: I was just pleased to have completed a target I set myself at the beginning of Jan - not for it to be a benchmark for others as such :???:
That's the thing with personal goals - they're not really comparable between individuals...
Sorry for the slow reply. Didn't read it as bragging, was merely doffing my cap, very impressive

More commuting for me, with the odd local jaunt that you could probably do on a CX bike. I use a rigid SS but it's good fun and keeps me happy!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

htrider wrote:
More ridiculously hard snow biking today. I was out for 7 hours and did 30 odd miles, 15 of which were on road or tracks.... now quite tired
Mega!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

10 easy km on mostly hard snow, best part was going off track in really deep snow but just for short stretches. Too tired from yesterday. 101 km fatbiking on var. snow conditions. Took a bit of a while, 13.5 h with breaks... deffo biggest effort so far in 2016. Pleasantly exhausted now. Looking forward to a lazy afternoon.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Very cold but at least it was sunny for once this morning, 35 miles but it felt like 50+

Barney joined us as well, 6 out in total

jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Bit jaded with the Dartmoor Swamp at the moment so just went for a walk instead.

Cold, empty and pretty.

Motorman

Post by Motorman »

North shore to Narnia and back.

Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

A local trail/road loop and a nice start to the work week...I really should do early morning rides more often. Nothing spectacular, but lovely weather to be out in. Just on freezing, very little ice on the ground, clear skies, just a hint of a breeze. Good stuff.

Greetz

S.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

nice couple of hours on the way into work this morning. it was cold. but sunny!!
FlyingFox

Post by FlyingFox »

Just a short ride around Langsett, lots of ice and mud to get the bike dirty.