Msr Hubba or similar recommended?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Laurensdad

Msr Hubba or similar recommended?

Post by Laurensdad »

does anyone have one for some insight or similar that can be freestanding and used inner only if needed?

Thanks

Phil
@philg1971 Instagram
Blair512

Re: Msr Hubba or similar recommended?

Post by Blair512 »

I have the Hubba Hubba, its a great tent, can be pitched inner, outer or both depending on the conditions. It's easy to pack away but in saying that the pack size is pretty big for a 2 man. The single pole means it goes up in a couple of minutes and just as quick coming down. Would prefer bigger vestibules but I suppose that's why they sell the gear shed. I'd recommend it, any MSR gear I've had always seems to to the job well and last a long time.
JackT

Post by JackT »

I've got a MSR Mutha Hubbba (the 3 person version). It's a great design, roomy and lightweight, doors & vestibules both ends, self-supporting structure. Only one word of caution: the inner is largely made of fine mesh netting, which means it's great for ventilation when it's hot or summer star gazing with the fly sheet off but not so good at keeping you warm if it's cold. I think the Hubba range comes in various models, with more or less inner netting. Worth being aware if you're buying online, unseen.
JezS

Post by JezS »

The 1-person Hubba NX served me well in the snow/hail/sleet/rain for Bach-2-Back the other week. Even though I hadn't pitched it very well on rocky ground.

Only time I've used it as it was borrowed, but found it quick and easy to pitch - only issue is that it normally pitches inner-first. It can be pitched outer-first, but that looks a bit more faff on the website videos.

Can be used inner only, outer only or outer+footprint for lighter setups.
Vestibule is big enough for all your drybags, shoes and a bit of space to cook.
Loads of room to sit up whilst cooking, eating, getting changed etc.

Generally I found it really good - not the lightest, but you do get loads of room which is really nice when it's wet.
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

Thanks for the helpful comments :-bd
@philg1971 Instagram
Templogin

Post by Templogin »

MSR Hubba Hubba Tent Review written fro RealOutdoorsForum.com

The head said get a Hilleberg, but the wallet said otherwise. I was even baulking at the price of the MSR Hubba Hubba, which was about half the price of similar size Hillebergs. The last dome tent that I had was a Vango many years ago, but I wanted to buy something that I could "absolutely" rely on and with Vango I just wasn't sure. Many touring cyclists recommend the Hubba Hubba, so I didn't think that I could go far wrong. This model, which is in green and greeny brown, has now been superseded by the Hubba Hubba NX, which is red and grey and stands out too much for my needs

I spent a lot of time trying to get the tent at a decent price, and ended up going to www.alloutdoor.co.uk. The price then was about £350 and about £35 for the footprint. There was a bit of hassle getting it to Shetland. A dispute over the weight of of the tent being over the Post Office limit for a certain cost. It wasn't. It got here in a reasonable time in good order. As part of the purchase you earn some points, which discount further purchases until the points are used. This came in useful as I got a discount on an MSR cooking pot.

Although this is a two-person tent, my plan was to use it as a one person tent with plenty of space to bring the four cycle panniers inside out of the weather.

The tent weighs about 2kg so was at the upper limit of what I wanted to carry on my bike. It is really designed as a backpacking tent so wouldn't be too heavy if split between 2 people, and not totally outrageous for one either if you wanted a bit of comfort. There are two side entrances so you can get in and out without having to climb over your camping partner. If your camping partner is particularly tasty then just claim that the zip on your side is broken and find plenty of excuses for getting in and out. I had no problems with the zips.

The tent consists of inner, outer, poles, pegs and guys. The pegs are very small, and although I carried them, I also took Alpkit aluminium Y pegs, which I managed to destroy two of trying to get them into hard ground, so ended up in a camping shop buying some of the bent nail type. I didn't attach the guys as the wind was never that high as to need them.

The pole is one item with many sections, two Y connectors and rubbery adaptor for a cross-piece. As one who has a habit of leaving stuff behind, including my Tilley hat with £20 in the secret pocket, this system makes it foolproof for me. The footprint is an extra, which I think that everyone should buy, but afterwards you might feel as though you have been raped, so costly is the item. I certainly feel dirty every time that I use it.

The tent goes up inner first, which is a brilliant opportunity to get a puddle in the tent if it is raining whilst you faff about with the poles and the outer. In reality it's a case of peg out the footprint using the cords at the four corners, where there are also tabs with eyelets in them. Tension the cords. Using the same 4 pegs peg out the cords of the inner, which also have tabs with eyelets. Tension the cords. Get the pole section out and join up the sections, poke one end through one of the eyelets, poke the next nearest end through the next nearest eyelet. Wander down to the other end of the tent and bending the pole system upwards put the other two ends into the far end eyelets. Then align the cross-poles at 90 degrees to the main pole and poke them into the centre eyelets. Using the clips, clip the inner to the poles.

At this stage, if you were in a hot climate and weren't expecting rain you could use this to keep the bugs off you. In fact touring cyclists will often set this up in a hotel room in mozzie zones to have a relatively bite-free night, but they probably don't drive the tent pegs into the floor! The tent is self-supporting.

Throw the outer over the top, lining up the door zips, put the cross-poles into their eyelets then clip the corner eyelets over the pole ends and tension. Pull the door sections out and peg out. If you're a slacker like me this whole procedure takes 10 minutes. The rain motivates me to do it quicker. If it has been raining remember to mop out any puddles of water before you start rolling out your mat and sleeping bag.

A single vertical zip on both sides of the tent gets you through the outer to the curved zip, again on both sides, to get you into the inner of the tent. There are toggles and loops to hook back the sides of the tent inners and outers. Inside the tent there is a mesh pocket running from side to side at each end of the tent. This was useful for holding small items such as keys, wallet, coins and headtorch, but couldn't hold anything heavy or large as it would drag on the tent fabric. Inside the roof of the inner is a triangular mesh piece of material which is clipped to the roof and would be a good place to put your paperback book.

Extra ventilation is taken care of by slits in the outer of the tent. Closer inspections shows these to have a stiff piece of fabric sewn in by it's end with a piece of velcro on the other end. Pulling the outer apart either side of the slit means that you can put the velcro end across the open slit onto a corresponding piece of velcro on the other side to let the airflow in. There is a ventilation slit at either end of the tent.

I have spent just over a week living in the tent of which it rained throughout the night on four nights, two of which were very heavy rain. Other than the initial mopping of water out of the tent after having to put the inner up in the wet, the tent kept me completely dry. Only on one occasion did the inner and outer touch in the rain, but that was due to my poor erection skills. Tightening of the outer soon sorted the problem out.

It's difficult to say if this tent is any better the the Vango dome tent that I bought many years ago, at probably 30% of the cost. The MSR does have 2 doors whereas the Vango only had 1, but the Vango went up outer first, which I think is better. Do I regret not buying a Hilleberg? Not really. The cost was the real killer, but as all Hilleberg owners will tell you, the quality and longevity make it worth it. I would be worried about leaving something that valuable at a campsite. Perhaps in years to come I will regret not buying the Hilleberg, but at the moment I just don't camp often enough to make it a worthwhile purchase.