European Off-road Mapping

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Karl

European Off-road Mapping

Post by Karl »

I've had a search and can't seem to find the topic on websites for mapping out routes across Europe, looking for Norway, Sweden and other Nordic regions mainly. Need something like bikehike to create gpx files, any recommendations please?
Dan_K

Re: European Off-road Mapping

Post by Dan_K »

I've used view ranger before as it uses osm mapping. Never for those regions though.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I just bought paper maps. I think following some of the trails actually on the ground will be an 'interesting' challenge though. :roll:

If you go down that route this site is quite useful for Sweden to work out what they look like/show.
https://kso.etjanster.lantmateriet.se/

Stanfords stock some stuff and will order other maps as required (they're about £18-22 per map for various parts of Scandinavia though so choose wisely!)
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

I use justgoride.co.uk to create gpx routes, it gives you the choice of google and OS maps and you can switch between them. Google links up road sections quickly for you the OS shows more detail off road but requires a bit more input
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

In France I just used bikehike drawing on the Google map switching between aerial and street maps and ignoring the os bit obviously. Www.ridewithgps.com let's you select Osm maps so would probably work.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Ok as the OP is looking at Scandinavia and based on the actual physical topographic maps.

- justgoride won't work as it's just google or bing which doesn't show off road routes.

- ridewithgps might work but comparing the OSM outdoor data on there with the paper maps it doesn't show all the possible trails, it does however show some.

- If viewranger uses the same OSM data then I assume you'll have the same limitations.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Nothing on VeloMap.org?

I've downloaded maps and then used Garmin Basecamp to create routes in Spain.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

ScotRoutes wrote:Nothing on VeloMap.org?

I've downloaded maps and then used Garmin Basecamp to create routes in Spain.
This would work, I've done similar UK planning in QLandkarte with the OpenMTBmap data but I assume you're limited by the OSM data again?

However I also found it very useful to be able to compare the 'open' data to the OS data/paper maps when doing that.

In comparing stuff I'm only looking at a small area that I'm going to in the summer it might be fine for the OP but without the actual topographic map then how do you know?
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks guys for the information. Looks like I might be able to plan a route using RidewithGPS. I'm planning something for Oct 2017 so I've got enough time to sort it out.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

KBRPro wrote:I'm planning something for Oct 2017 so I've got enough time to sort it out.
Blimey! Where are you heading? I might have some used maps after the summer I can send your way if by pure luck it's central Norway/Sweden or western/southern Finland.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Don't want to go into too much detail at the moment as it's a seed of an idea but it will be going through central Sweden so I'll get in touch nearer the time if that's okay? RidewithGPS seems perfect for the job at the moment so thanks everyone for the help. :-bd