Which GPS?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Re: Which GPS?

Post by dlovett »

Edge 1000, does everything.

If you have a hub dynamo then no worries, otherwise you will need to recharge it after 9-13 hours.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

dlovett wrote:Edge 1000, does everything.

If you have a hub dynamo then no worries, otherwise you will need to recharge it after 9-13 hours.
Just be aware of Dynamo hub output if you have a low average speed. They don't put much juice out until 12kph or so. If there's a lot of hills then...

During two and a half days of the borders 350 I burnt through a fully charged garmin 800 and two anker 3000mah batteries (one of which was plugged into the Dynamo during daylight hours) I scratched at wooler with 185km still to ride and about 6 hours of battery left...

Bought an etrex 30x when I got home!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Including lock up and become totally unusable :???:
At least, that's what happened to one chap at the chippy in Llanrhaeadr on the Bear Bones 200 back in October...

Not sure there's a perfect GPS out there, all things considered.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ian wrote:
Including lock up and become totally unusable :???:
At least, that's what happened to one chap at the chippy in Llanrhaeadr on the Bear Bones 200 back in October...

Not sure there's a perfect GPS out there, all things considered.
That happened to my 800 once. Hard reset - hold down all three buttons - sorted it without losing any data
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My Oregon has been solid. No hangs, strange power offs, button response problems.

It does react to rain on the screen though so I'm always careful to give it a quick wipe before waking it up.
MidgeMagnet

Post by MidgeMagnet »

johnnystorm wrote:
MidgeMagnet wrote:Another hijack, but also been looking out for one recently.

The new etrex touch 25 and 35 look decent, sort of a mix of the oregon, dakota and etrex. They are fairly new so I'm kinda looking around for reviews. One thing I am concerned about is that the touch screen and use with gloves. Anyone had any experience of it?
Garmin's are old tech resistive screens so are fine with gloves. Just make sure you fit screen protectors as muddy finger tips wreak havoc!
Ah, not the new etrex 25/35, these are capacitive. I went into go outdoors and had a try, sadly didn't work with gloves. Was a nice device though.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

I've ended up using my old Sony phone with the GPX viewer app inside a BTR phone bag on my top tube and it's worked a treat, I get 2 days out of the battery and a full charge off my power monkey so I could probably manage a 4 day trip no problem. I'll get a proper GPS unit at some point but money's tight at the moment so I just have to make do with what I have.