Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

barney

Re: Todays ride

Post by barney »

Now I know fat bikes aren't everyone's cup of tea but I've just had 2 amazing rides in 24hrs both of which only 40mins from home...

1pm Yesterday at Llandegla

And 1pm today at Crosby... (its not all boring flat beaches)

Happy days! :grin:
Wait for me...
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

jam bo wrote:

Dartmoor in the snow. Started in a mud fest down at burrator, climbed the old railway to Princetown. Was nice going once above the snow line. Headed to nuns cross, went off piste to combeshead tor and then back to the car.
Jam bo I've gotta say you've got some great pics :-bd
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

RobMac wrote:
jam bo wrote:

Dartmoor in the snow. Started in a mud fest down at burrator, climbed the old railway to Princetown. Was nice going once above the snow line. Headed to nuns cross, went off piste to combeshead tor and then back to the car.
Jam bo I've gotta say you've got some great pics :-bd

Ta. Not bad for an iPhone. Right place, right time.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

A very tough ride/walk in the snow yesterday. I thought the snow would have crusted over nicely but with deep snow on tussock grass made it hard going, although Stu would have loved it!!

A short film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcyaURq47tk
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 6

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

A broken gear cable that I had to fix this morning put paid to attempting another ton today.

So I rode 28 miles to Gillingham (Dorset) at a brisk (for me) pace.

Short and sweet but I quite enjoyed it, especially as I found a hump on the Dorset trailway where you can get both wheels off the ground! :wink:
Mike

Post by Mike »

This weekend iv had a whole weekend of susser fun riding in six feet of snow at Llandegla forest friday afternoon was hard going. It snowed so much we had to cut it short incase we couldnt get the car off the carpark! And it was ni on impossible to ride without the fatty. Saturday we rode Penmachno trails in 4" of snow which was again really hard going but we managed 25miles in total then today we rode the Marin trail, no snow but jeez its wet and muddy out there! Loads of fun and it made a nice change from bikepacking :wink: Hopefully though ill be out this weekend packed up

Taking 5
Image20160116_112154-EFFECTS by mjc_226, on Flickr
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Now snow but new local trails found

GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Spent a very icy Saturday doing a 33km fell race. Managed not to fall over somehow, but did manage to have to bob into the woods/heather for some .... projection..from either end at different times. Felt utterly terrible on the way there, didn't get much better after I missed the start as I was on the loo. But, it was quite a fun way to spend the day, nearly 5 hours of easy plodding as intensity made things gurgle.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

yesterdays : todays ride wasnt on my bike ro remove if non relivent :o but on my trusty Tele skis , 5 miles round the shap area on the east of the M6 motorway in thin at times but nice and fresh powder, gotta get out whilst you can ! maby i should get a fat bike so it would be more relivent to this forum ;)

freakychurchill

Post by freakychurchill »

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Single Speed George wrote:yesterdays : todays ride wasnt on my bike ro remove if non relivent :o but on my trusty Tele skis , 5 miles round the shap area on the east of the M6 motorway in thin at times but nice and fresh powder, gotta get out whilst you can ! maby i should get a fat bike so it would be more relivent to this forum ;)

Looks like leather boots and long skis - nice one!
Hoping to strap the boards onto the fatbike and combine both at some point but not sure if large placcy boots will be the best option to pedal in... (I'm an NTN wimp!)
Gari

Post by Gari »

I have used my fatbike to get closer to the snowline, in AT boots is ok as long as you're cruising so NTN should be OK.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

The newly formed Friday afternoon skivers club went for an explore on the north moors.

Up to yes tor as I've never been up there. Bloody windy and then dropped into meldon dam area for a slip and slide round some muddy singletrack.

I'll be heading back for more of an explore once I've shaken this pesky head cold.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

New wheel build and tyre 1st test ride
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Jeeez John, show some restraint man :shock:

Are they your new beach racing tyres? Good?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I've seen that bike before...
download.jpg
download.jpg (17.8 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Are they your new beach racing tyres? Good?
Yes, in deep sand and loose sand dune climbs they are pants, in slippy wet mud they are just as bad.
But for 98% of todays ride they were like riding a fast slick tyre, floating over sand on the beach they left a much smaller foot print than a normal fat bike (with a heavier rider with knobbly tyres :wink: )

As for the colour, the photo was slightly tweaked, but they are bright :cool:
burty

Post by burty »

50 mile up to cannock chase and back ,
to test out the new wheel.
lots of water about. you know it bad when some so called puddles have swans floating about
Ian

Post by Ian »

Actually yesterday's ride, but my first century of the year doing a lap of the Tywi Ton, with a slight variation as I started at the bottom of Halfway Forest.

Barely got above freezing yesterday, even with a bit of sun. Thing got interesting in the midst of a hail storm when I split a tyre and had to temporarily patch it and put a tube in.

Just need to knock out a minimum of 52.5 km today to hit my January target of 1000 km.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Nice one Ian, thats a good distance for January.

Makes me feel bad for sitting in front of the computer scowling out of the window at the rain.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Another "yesterday's ride" - did a bit of local exploring checking out some woods for possible bivvy spots. I've ridden/driven/run past these woods countless times in the fifteen years we've lived here but never been in to them, mind you one has a local nickname of "murder wood" after the body of a lady of ill repute was found there :shock: The other wood is full of "the footpath goes HERE!" type signs and the ground is pretty chewed up and covered in brash so not ideal. Total distance ridden of about 10Km
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
burty

Post by burty »

donned my white pumps and football socks and joined the monster energy drinkers.
a very wet single speed lap of the dog/monkey up at Cannock chase . :-bd
14 miles and 2 sets of brake pads
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Had a nice ride out in better weather than forecast today... :-bd
https://youtu.be/zd2WMLOXDTs
Ian

Post by Ian »

A 53 km "recovery ride" on the singlespeed today. It's been somewhat neglected of late, and I'd forgotten just how quick it was up hills.

Anyhow, January distance target hit: 1000 km of mostly off road riding and 19,500 metres of ascent. Pleased with the start to the year so far :smile:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Headed for the snow yesterday for 7 hours of brutal riding in the Ochills - high winds and wind blown powder up to 2 feet deep made for some hard going and lots of pushing practice. However I discovered that running the front tyre at 2psi and the rear at 3 enables you to ride through 10" plus. The last climb was an hour of maximum effort in minimum gear... Only 40 odd miles but 1500m of climbing....