Ocelot vs Apidura

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Re: Ocelot vs Apidura

Post by Ian »

So you can get an idea of fit against the frame and work out which size you need?
Chew

Post by Chew »

ootini wrote:Just a thought, for those of you who do use partial farme bags like the Ocelot, do you have to use side entry bottle cages ?
You don't have to but it helps.
I find side entry cages much easier to use than normal cages anyway. Bit more of a natural action.
jBay

Post by jBay »

Ian wrote:So you can get an idea of fit against the frame and work out which size you need?
That's was the idea - the length is easy, it's the bottle impact.
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

Jbay - if you are near Or passing Southampton / NewForest the bike shop I work at has the Ocelot in stock #trybeforeyoubuy
@philg1971 Instagram
Howard

Post by Howard »

I've never ridden with a frame bag and it's great to get such a solid recommendation for Ocelot! I'm a bit concerned about river crossings where the bike is almost being ripped from your hands with the current. I guess a partial bag would have less sideways pull in the water so that seems like a plus. A question though about how waterproof people find it when it gets submerged during river crossings? Does anybody have any advice?
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@Howard - consider shouldering the bike or if it's that deep, go for gold and carry it overhead. The extra kilos of downward pressure has helped me stay planted on dubious crossings.

Greetz

S.
Howard

Post by Howard »

@Scattamah - I think that is a technique I'll need to learn! I guess I assumed that shouldering it (as I would on a 'cross bike) would no longer be possible with a frame bag. I must admit I normally try to keep the bike wheels on the river bed to help me balance when it gets deeper. I was thinking back to last "summer" when I crossed the Abhainn Rath at Luibeilt (between Loch Treig and Kinlochleven) and it was unexpectedly nearly at groin level for me (been across it dryshod in the past!). The bike was almost lying flat on the water in the current and it was pretty hard to see where my feet were going. I'm not convinced the extra weight of carrying it overhead would have made me more secure - I can just imagine me stumbling and going headlong :o. Actually I'm also no bodybuilder (= lightweight) up top and I'd probably need a rest halfway across a long crossing :lol:. Reason for considering a frame bag is the Cairnrgorm Loop in April - that's pretty wet at the best of times, let alone at the moment, and who knows with the weather patterns we're now getting....
Ian

Post by Ian »

In fast flowing water it is better to point the bike upstream and work your way across sideways. See the bit towards the end of this video: https://vimeo.com/92812808

The shoulder technique is more a case of laying the bike flat across both shoulders and holding handlebar and seat post. Better for flatter/ slower and deeper water in my experience, where you're more able to hold your balance on just your feet.

For everything in between, I put an arm over the top tube and grab the downtube near the bottom bracket. This usually lifts all but the front wheel out of the water on up to knee deep crossings.
Howard

Post by Howard »

Ian, Thanks - makes a lot of sense - why didn't I ever think of that!! Brilliant video as well.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

If you haven't got it then "Mountaincraft and Leadership" by Eric Langmuir is worth grabbing hold of - it's the standard text for MTLB courses but there's a lot of good stuff in there includings a whole chapter on river crossings.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ian

Post by Ian »

whitestone wrote:If you haven't got it then "Mountaincraft and Leadership" by Eric Langmuir is worth grabbing hold of - it's the standard text for MTLB courses but there's a lot of good stuff in there includings a whole chapter on river crossings.
Seconded. One of the first mountaineering books I ever bought.
Howard

Post by Howard »

Thanks - I've got one munro left to do, but always, always stuff to learn so just ordered a copy :-)

BTW - sorry that I seem to have hijacked the thread away from frame bags, but I did notice there were deals for different bundles of Wildcat stuff. More decisions!