GPX Track joining

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

GPX Track joining

Post by jameso »

A question for the GPS file editors here,

I have a number of 50-100 mile sections of GPX Track file that I want to join, what's the best way to do that? I use bikehike to create the routes and lengthen them or do minor re-works but doesn't seem to be a joining tool on there. Need a site that can upload more than one route at a time I think. I'd simply re-create if they were simple but most are click-click-click along tracks for a good percentage so a faff to re-do, also wanting to add in some actual traces from a ride along the route.
ianfitz

Re: GPX Track joining

Post by ianfitz »

Bike hike will do that. Upload the first one, click options, click merge tracks, click load track pick the second one. Repeat until you reach the end.

I stitched together all those strada millitaire gpxs you sent me a while ago. It looks good!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

If my instructions don't make sense feel free to email the tracks to me and I can sort it for you. I'd quite like a copy of the final route for future reference :-)
JackT

Post by JackT »

gpxeditor.co.uk does that kind of thing very nicely, along with lots of other great stuff. You can bulk upload the files, unlike bikehike, where it's one at a time. Then save as single GPX. it's possible that this is a subscriber only function (I'm a subscriber and it's the first and best £20 I spend each year).
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

DanLear

Post by DanLear »

They're just text files, so providing you know the order you can just append one onto the next in text editor (eg notepad++ )
JackT

Post by JackT »

Just checked and the gpx merge function on gpxeditor.co.uk works for all users, whether paid subscribers or not. Multiple GPX files can be uploaded at once (there doesn't appear to be a limit, I've done it with up to 50 files at a time, can also upload zipped files) and then it's as simple as 'Save All' to download the new merged file.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

If you use an XML viewer such as http://codebeautify.org/xmlviewer you can see the structure. From this point it's quite easy to figure out which bits to trim: basically in the final file you want one opening <trkseg> tag and one closing </trkseg> tag
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ian, again you show how I obviously spend more time finding tracks than looking for the options in the tracking software.. Thanks. Time saved there. Is it a more recent feature? I was told bikehike didn't do route linking a couple of years ago. Probably by someone as good at finding obvious (now) features as I am .. ha.
I stitched together all those strada millitaire gpxs you sent me a while ago. It looks good!
Great. The revised route's a bit better I think - uses some other tracks and links ridden on past trips plus a useful tip someone mailed to the site. It now has a more logical/aesthetic direction and a better balance of road and dirt along the way. Interesting sort of puzzle to link it all up, switched direction along one dirt section and a big chunk of the route feel into place to include some new sections and cutting out one longer road bit. Will be good to see it as one complete track before long.

Will have a look at the other options also, gpxeditor looks useful. XML viewing maybe the next step to correct/finalise. Thanks all.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bikehike features 'reverse route' 'cut to end' and 'merge' all making sense now as tools to edit the routes, success.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Garmin Basecamp
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

jameso wrote:Bikehike features 'reverse route' 'cut to end' and 'merge' all making sense now as tools to edit the routes, success.

good stuff. I've no idea when it was introduced, it took me a while before I had a good look at it. like anything else its obvious once you know!