Singlespeeding and long distance

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Singlespeeding and long distance

Post by slarge »

So I have my old 26er hardtail set up as a singlespeed, but it hardly ever gets used as most of the riding round home is flat. I'm considering using this bike on the Bach to Bach, but want to do quite big mileage. Question is, will I get really frustrated at the climbs and road sections being either too hard or too spinny? Should I just take the easy option of gears. I have 33x16 at the moment but can swap the rear to 17. What do you wise single speeders recommend?
voodoo_simon

Re: Singlespeeding and long distance

Post by voodoo_simon »

Have done the WRT on a singlespeed with no problems, good choice for the winter, especially in this horrible weather.

If you're in a group, you may find it a bit slower on the road seconds but should best most people on climbs (road or off road) of you can get traction.

When it all gets too much, just push, way more efficient than granny gear any day and about the same speed
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

It's been a while since I was a regular singlespeeder, but I remember being 32x26 all the time round lboro, but it was too tall for strathpuffer. 32x17 was spot on round strathpuffer for me (think this was the ratio Matt Page ran too when he did it), so deffo advise the 17sprocket for Wales. It'll be a bit Spinny on the road mind!

(Speaking in 26er terms here, if you ride a 29er with ratio advice, we best start using gear inches...)
jay91

Post by jay91 »

I've always ran 32x18 when bikepacking and 32x16 local trails when I was fitter. The only time I've hated it was on the bb200 with crap fitness :lol:
Trying to ride bikes.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

but I remember being 32x26 all the time
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ss for longer distances is easier in many ways. More time to relax (coasting), less slowing on tech sections (no gears to get back to speed) and less to go wrong (no flippy gears). Sof the bits on the flats, you'll make up for it climbing and riding if you get your gearing right.

Currently debating if the TD will be geared or not.

FWIW - 29er with 31/21 around Hebden Bridge - also around the Cairngorms Loop - it was fine if you're ok spinning at 100rpm. Says the ex trackie...
FLV

Post by FLV »

I don't like it for long distances. As winter was starting I found myself at the back end of a long ride. Tired. A bit cold. I had about 15km to cover on ex railway track. I just couldn't get warm enough even spinning like an idiot. I was properly cold by the time I was done.
I also find it more difficult to conserve energy and pace myself properly. This could be due to lack of fitness of course.

Inspired by greg showing me his el Mar though and due to zero interest in its sale I am enjoying shorter rides by SS again.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I think I am going to give singlespeeding a good go on the Bach to Bach, with 33x17 gearing. I might fit 2 rear cogs to give me an option if it goes wrong.... Thanks for the help.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Just started single speeding 3 months ago and for am enjoying it more than I had imagined. Much more. It's good fun to see the range of gears your body can cover and yes, some climbs are a pain, but then you still can get off and enjoy the views whilst pushing. Same goes for coasting. Time to eat and stretch etc.
After 20 years of MTBing I'm once again in a steep learning curve 'cause of riding a rigid ssp.

I'm with Dave - I too struggle to conserve energy. But then at the end of most rides I realise, it was okay to not conserve energy and just dig a bit deeper.
FLV wrote:I don't like it for long distances. As winter was starting I found myself at the back end of a long ride. Tired. A bit cold. I had about 15km to cover on ex railway track.
Longdendale?
GregMay wrote: Currently debating if the TD will be geared or not.
Go with what you think is more challenging for you. Or else you'll always wonder if it'd have been possible the harder way.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

FLV - happy to be an inspiration to stupidity :)
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Go with what you think is more challenging for you. Or else you'll always wonder if it'd have been possible the harder way.[/quote]

Go with what you think will be quicker! Nothing worse than heading back to the UK with regrets.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Justchris wrote:
Go with what you think is more challenging for you. Or else you'll always wonder if it'd have been possible the harder way.
Go with what you think will be quicker! Nothing worse than heading back to the UK with regrets.[/quote]

It's ok - this is effectively a reccie for a faster run down the line. Unless I hate it. Then not :)
Ian

Post by Ian »

slarge wrote:I think I am going to give singlespeeding a good go on the Bach to Bach, with 33x17 gearing. I might fit 2 rear cogs to give me an option if it goes wrong.... Thanks for the help.
I raced Battle on the Beach on the fatbike with that ratio. It was quite flat, being on the beach an all.
You might be OK on a 26er, but the trails are so soggy, I'm sure there will be pushing.
slarge

Post by slarge »

The good thing about my Bach to Bach route is that it is all hard pack trails........

And the bridleways look lovely on the map........

Oh, f*#k, just realised that it is Wales and it's been raining. A lot.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

This is true, however there really isn't much mud about ... no more than usual.
May the bridges you burn light your way
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

This guy is doing a lap of the planet on a single speed ogre.

http://markusstitz.com/2015/12/around-t ... t-to-take/

He's just crossed America after a loop in Iceland.
Not ridden single speed myself but I reckon that any fustration would be down to attitude and accepting the limitations more than anything else. Don't reckon I could do it.
Ian

Post by Ian »

slarge wrote:The good thing about my Bach to Bach route is that it is all hard pack trails........

And the bridleways look lovely on the map........

After today's ride I might re-evaluate my route.
Remember that Wales is roughly 400m ascent per 10 miles.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

I.just ride single speed, find it pretty good, did the bb200 this year, just a case of keeping goin simplicity is nice, gear ratio is key
slarge

Post by slarge »

Just done 40 miles around Cannock Chase on the singlespeed and it was great fun. Not as hard as I remember it and it seems easier to keep a reasonable speed up some hills. I might be converted! :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

I wonder if a dinglespeed set up would be good. Keep your normal hill gear, but add a flat land gear too to allow swifter progress.

Times like the HT550 section from FA to FB
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

FLV wrote:I wonder if a dinglespeed set up would be good. Keep your normal hill gear, but add a flat land gear too to allow swifter progress.

Times like the HT550 section from FA to FB
But then you get to deal with bad chainline and a chain that may pop when climbing under load - this is not fun - your privates will not appreciate this. Experience.

If you're going to dingle, double dingle. Run a combo front and rear and drop/raise both to suit. Go have a look at the Salsa Blackborrow.

FWIW, I wouldn't be bothered to try it again. It's a faff, you're better off learning to spin and chill.
chris n

Post by chris n »

GregMay wrote: FWIW, I wouldn't be bothered to try it again. It's a faff, you're better off learning to spin and chill.
Yep. Tried the dingle (34/18 and 32/20, IIRC) on my 29er for a while. Arsing about changing gear always seemed to take longer than you'd save by just sticking with what you've got. Same with flipping the wheel over on the fixed.

Learn to hurry slowly and don't be afraid to push. :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

I always wondered about a double-dingle for touring, the sort where you have all the time you need and replacing meachs etc is a faff, like across Mongolia and China, that sort of thing. There's no 1 ideal ratio, but there could be 2 ratios that cover most of it so you're only changing it based on the general area, or for those really huge climbs. Never found much info about anyone trying it but I think I'd be inclined to if I ever had a few months spare. Triple-dingle maybe. A 1:1, the classic ~2:1 and a road ratio.

I like SS for long day/weekender rides but I'm more likely to use a triple for BP trips, covers all bases on or off-road. I considered SSing the TD but in the end glad I didn't, as it was the mid-race knee pain I had at night was a torture. I had a 6spd with 34F-28R bottom gear so perhaps it was the worst of both worlds in some ways, geared enough to push on along all but the flat tarmac but still without anything that let me ease up and spin on the climbs. Probably also related the 175mm cranks, oddly my SS has 175s and never gives me issues, neither does my road-ish bike with 170s that I still churn up climbs more than spin, but gears and 175s seems to be the combo for the dreaded knee night-vice. That, and silly-hours on the bike which so far I've not done on a SS : )
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I went dinglespeed on a trip to France a few years ago, in all honesty the mountain cols plus the faff factor were enough to convince me to leave it in the lowest ratio :wink: My SA 2 speed hub seems to be doing a pretty good job so far.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Sturmy 2s looks good. I tried one of the SRAM auto 2-speed hubs and really liked it, tricky to get the change speed / centrifuge right with terrain and wheelsize but if there was a version with a screw-adjust for that aspect I'd have one tomorrow. I always come back to liking the simplicity of SS but for longer trips, wanting a Rohloff-quality wide ratio 5 speed.