Krampus/29+ rear mudguard?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HopeValleyPaul

Krampus/29+ rear mudguard?

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Can anyone recommend anything for the back end when I've not got a seat pack on.
Can't believe how much more mud I'm coverd in after a ride with semi fat tyres on.

The Krampus is ace, should have brought one months a go.
ianfitz

Re: Krampus/29+ rear mudguard?

Post by ianfitz »

Thats an easy one - the answer is mudhugger - https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/shop/

the only rear mudguard I've ever found that stays in place and actually works!
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Hi Paul, after seeing Ian's, I also bought one of the mudhuggers and it is spot on. Loads better than any of the other mudguards I've used and stays securely in place. I'm going to order another for my other bike
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

mje25 wrote:Hi Paul, after seeing Ian's, I also bought one of the mudhuggers and it is spot on. Loads better than any of the other mudguards I've used and stays securely in place. I'm going to order another for my other bike
I first saw one in the flesh at the borders 350 start. Htrider of this parish had one on his 29+ bike so they do work on plus size tyres too
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Cheers chaps, thanks for the recommendation. I've got a mud hugger on my xc bike. It's not a great fit on the Krampus, the cable runs are on top of the seat stays on both sides. May have to get a bit creative in fitting it.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Right. I'm buying one too.

Paul. What set up do you have on your Krampus?

they ride well, but are heavy buggers.
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

FLV wrote:
Paul. What set up do you have on your Krampus?

they ride well, but are heavy buggers.
Hiya Dave. Your right it's a bit of a pig to get moving but once your rolling it's a hoot. It's also good motivation to not stop too often. I'm never going to be fast so I might as well be comfy and have a laugh.

Got it from keep pedalling what a fantastic shop.

It's pretty much a stock ops. I've changed the tyres out for dirt wizards (120s) Jones loops and a expander at the back. Quite like the rabbit holes but not a fan of the fork at all. Get quite bad vibrations on breaking at low speed. Will change it for a whisky or enve in the new year.

The mud hugger will fit but will need a fair bit of remoulding to fit around the cable stays on top of the seat stays. Which I think will make it quite weak. Was hoping for another option.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Hi you two, my niner has a similar issue to the one Paul describes, although only on one seat stay. I managed to get the plastic mounting tab on the mudguard to sit under the cable and then zip tied it around the cable guide. Seems pretty secure and hasn't shifted much at all. Currently off my bike as I got knocked off on the way to work on Friday and have cracked a couple of ribs. Have now got entry of time to try and talk myself into having a bit of a frame swap around...
FLV

Post by FLV »

Sorry to hear that mark, hope you recover well and quickly. Cheers for the info on the guard. I'm sure if it fits over the tyre I will be able to fettle it to fit the rest of the way.

Hi Paul. I got mine from KP too. Cracking shop and lovely people in there. Although somehow since meeting them about two years ago all 4 bikes (frames at least) that I own have come from there :grin:

I'm rebuilding mine today (I swap between the krampus and salsa all the time). I have a whisky fork for mine, its lighter for sure. About 800g fork and 15mm axle.
It has slightly less clearance but not too bad. Also its pretty stiff, but rides well.
I have used a Jones bar but am in two minds over whether I like it still.

I have velocity duallys on mine and chronicles set up tubeless. Saves a bit of rotating mass.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Cheers Dave, hopefully
I'll be back out soonish. If you are around over Xmas, we'll have to meet up for a ride, or a drink of I'm not riding again by then. I've got a dually rim on the rear of my niner with an ardent 2.4 on and the guard fits over that with room to spare. As Ian said, htrider had one on a krampus at the borders 350 and it seemed to fit ok over his tyre (didn't notice what he was running, but it was a plus size tyre). Have gone chronicle on the front of my
Niner and enjoying the extra cushioning. Don't suppose you have any experience comparing the whisky fork to a niner or enve fork? I'm contemplating a carbon fork and can't decide between the three.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Hi Paul, Steve from KP here, I'm very happy with my 29er crud guard on my Krampus,

and glad to hear you are enjoying the bike, I'm going to fit an expander on the back of mine having fitted yours and seeing how straight forward it was to set up

assuming it ever stops raining.....
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Re mudhuggers on a Krampus, just grind away a bit of the plastic to fit it around the cable guides - fits no bother then. Crud catchers are good too but they rattle annoyingly where the guard joins the clamp.

HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Mark, sorry to hear that mate. Hope you recover quick. Puts my slightly damp Arse issues into perspective.

Thanks for the advice folks. Looks like I'm going to have to torture a mud hugger with pliers and heat.
FLV

Post by FLV »

oooh, I do love that spot. knowing its not so long till a visit to the whisky castle to procure the evenings tipple. Perhaps a cheeky hour in front of the fire in the glen avon hotel.

That mud hugger looks just so too. I'm going to order one.
andystooge

Post by andystooge »

these boys make a kit for the Krampus, bit spenny but you'll not be getting muddy at all with these on. http://stores.bigomfg.com/surly-krampus ... ender-kit/