Winter assault on the bottom loop of the HTR16

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chicken Legs

Winter assault on the bottom loop of the HTR16

Post by Chicken Legs »

I am considering riding the bottom loop of the HTR16 route over two days during the week prior to the Northern Winter Bivvi and
would be interested to know if any of you can think of any reasons why this would not be a good idea ?
Other than the fact it will be cold, muddy and miserable :wink:

Andy
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Justchris

Re: Winter assault on the bottom loop of the HTR16

Post by Justchris »

I would do it sooner rather than later. Just sent my split board off on friday to be serviced as the snow is on its way! Wouldnt try this week or next Weather is ment to be awful.

If your from south englandshire and you want something this week you would be better off doing something down there. Slightly warmer. A lot less wet and much less wind this week.

Turbo is the smart option for those that live in scotchland!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

You'll be fine you wuss. No ferries involved....
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

The bottom loop from Tyndrum to Fort Augustus and back is 268km with 4700m of climbing. A day in mid December will have less than 7 hours of daylight. I'd suggest that from near Laggan you go back via the 2015 outward route to Loch Ossian and then catch the train out from Corrour. Of course Dave knows you much better than I do!
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

AlanG wrote:The bottom loop from Tyndrum to Fort Augustus and back is 268km with 4700m of climbing.
Thanks Alan, therefore over two days with a stop at Fort Augustus this would be sort of OK, including a tad of riding in the dark.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Dave, you know I like inclement weather :wink:

Andy
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Chicken Legs wrote:I am considering riding the bottom loop of the HTR16 route over two days during the week prior to the Northern Winter Bivvi and
would be interested to know if any of you can think of any reasons why this would not be a good idea ?
Other than the fact it will be cold, muddy and miserable :wink:

Andy
Good plan.
Go and find out yourself if it's a good idea. Seriously.

I believe it's only a question of time until someone will have a go on the full HT in winter. Considering the astronomical winter you could travel with more than 10 h of daylight before winter comes to an end.
Seriously.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

The section from Ben Alder Cottage to the A86 looks like it could be interesting !
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Thanks for the words of encouragement Gian,it would be a great achievement to ride the complete HTR in the winter :shock:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Bring enough kit. Ride smart. Whats the worse that can happen....
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I believe it's only a question of time until someone will have a go on the full HT in winter.

I seem to remember someone doing or attempting all Munros during December and January couple of years ago.
Other than stalking/hunting season why not?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I seem to remember someone doing or attempting all Munros during December and January couple of years ago.
I read a book about this ... once my ipod stops messing about and lets me acess my books, I'll tell you what it's called.
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

In-pin in winter conditions would be a very fun day out :)
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Hell of Journey by Mike Cawthorne... bit an eye opener.... not all the Munros but a great read http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hell-Journey-Th ... 1780270356
and all the Munros in Winter by Martin Moran (a guide based in Torridon area) http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1905207697.
I am surprised no one has had a crack at the 'gorms Loop in winter... Depend on snow conditions... some good freeze thaw to give you a firm crust would be a basic requirement and a bit later in the season to let the main avalanche risk settle down a bit.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

they have had a crack at the CG loop in winter - they came to their senses about fords of avon.......when it got dark despite an early start.

It was a paul errington adventure i think the write up is on alpkits page.

Mike Cawthorns books a hell of a book (boom boom) .... currently working my way through it.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I read a book about this ... once my ipod stops messing about and lets me acess my books, I'll tell you what it's called.
I think meanwhile there are a few. Some did it many years ago (pre nylon even?) and I remember a lad munrobagging winter only about 10 years ago.
I did the same with many of the Alps 4000m tops. It's fun. It's pleasant in a special way - and rather complex and lonely too.
The "trouble" with the Scottish Highlands is they're on an island in the North Atlantic. Thaw weather including storms after a cold spell is something of the most miserable things I ever came across;

When my girlfriend and I trekked through some of the Highlands around Hogmanay for 2.5 weeks we came across such weather. On three occasions wind speed was measured at over 100 mp/h whilst in the Cairngorms and the southern Fisherfield Forest. The wind was accompanied by thawing temperatures. As the deeper grounds were still frozen and only the top thawed, the water didn’t drain. Our feet were soaking wet for days and 2-5 °C during the day and below freezing during the night made things kind of difficult to enjoy for my girlfriend. The following February there were a couple of weeks with crystal clear skies, snow, solid ice and frozen bogs. That’s what we came for…
My girlfriend said that she’ll not visit Scotland again (she had visited many times before) for a few years but go hiking in the Mediterranean. I had already signed up for the HTR ’13. But then only 2 months later she booked a flight to Scotland, to hike a Munro bagging version of the WHW.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Trail-rat wrote:they have had a crack at the CG loop in winter - they came to their senses about fords of avon.......when it got dark despite an early start.

Ahh - my apologies to Paul E - I did read that but recall wasn't 100% sure if it was an attempt on the whole thing - must have been interesting up there with no XC skis! :shock:
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

99percentchimp wrote:
Trail-rat wrote:they have had a crack at the CG loop in winter - they came to their senses about fords of avon.......when it got dark despite an early start.

Ahh - my apologies to Paul E - I did read that but recall wasn't 100% sure if it was an attempt on the whole thing - must have been interesting up there with no XC skis! :shock:
And yet, there is always a window of conditions that will allow fair travel over terrain (snow & ice) you even struggle to imagine seeing a bike in (if the snows soft and deep) or on (if its firm :wink: ). Many trips like that solely depend on those very conditions. What applies for the summer also applies in the winter, just to a bigger extent. I'm convinced in the right conditions a winter HTR could be quite straightforward and should be doable in 10-14 days. The only thing needed is snow after some freeze & thaw or little snow in general and a fortnight of cold days.
Gari

Post by Gari »

I did the Feshie-Geldie-Glen Derry-LL/Bynack route a couple of winters ago on the pugs. The first day warmed as I went so was wading through knee to hip deep snow from the notorious narrows just beyond Ruigh bothy, all the way to the redhouse junction! Wet feet from the double crossing as it was too sketchy to go along the bank there. Having left Aviemore at around 9.30 I got to Bob Scott's at about 23.00. What a nightmare :sad:
There were a group of about 6 Germans in the bothy with a fire going, it was so hot they were sat in t shirts and their boxers!!! I had to go sleep outside.
The next day was really cold so I rode pretty much the whole way up the Glen, crossed the saddle at Corrie Etchachan via the burn line and then through the low part below the path. Rode the burn right through to the Barns of Bynack, including over the Falls of A'an, I was having such a good time I almost rode past the climb over Bynack shoulder. Tried to contour around like I would on touring skis but couldn't manage the kick turns :oops: so pushed that bit. The descent down the other side and through to Glenmore was vaguely exciting. Hoping we get the conditions we're promised this winter, I may give it a go.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Gari wrote:I did the Feshie-Geldie-Glen Derry-LL/Bynack route a couple of winters ago on the pugs. The first day warmed as I went so was wading through knee to hip deep snow from the notorious narrows just beyond Ruigh bothy, all the way to the redhouse junction! Wet feet from the double crossing as it was too sketchy to go along the bank there. Having left Aviemore at around 9.30 I got to Bob Scott's at about 23.00. What a nightmare :sad:
There were a group of about 6 Germans in the bothy with a fire going, it was so hot they were sat in t shirts and their boxers!!! I had to go sleep outside.
The next day was really cold so I rode pretty much the whole way up the Glen, crossed the saddle at Corrie Etchachan via the burn line and then through the low part below the path. Rode the burn right through to the Barns of Bynack, including over the Falls of A'an, I was having such a good time I almost rode past the climb over Bynack shoulder. Tried to contour around like I would on touring skis but couldn't manage the kick turns :oops: so pushed that bit. The descent down the other side and through to Glenmore was vaguely exciting. Hoping we get the conditions we're promised this winter, I may give it a go.
Great stuff :-bd
What conditions are promised? Less storms, more cold spells? El Niño in Scotland?
Gari

Post by Gari »

Lots of snow, to low levels too. Skis are ready, pugs is ready, bring it on......
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

There are 3 river crossings on the track from auch farm to Glen Lyon which could be interesting after heavy rain. The last 2k to Ben Alder cottage might be somewhat soggy too. Single track over to Culra is well surfaced and drained, but you'll be back to the bog alongside Loch Pattack. The great glen way from Fort Augustus to Fort bill has now become the Great Glen cycleway (again). The section alongside Loch Oich is now a nice smooth dust cycleway along the old railway line.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The Great Glen Way has an alternative, rougher and hillier, option between Bridge of Oich and the south end of the Loch.
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

Enjoy the smooth cycleway and save your energy for the Devil's Staircase!
If you are doing the new section on any day other than Sunday you should contact the Finnart Estate as signs indicated that stalking was likely until February 15th.

http://www.finnartestate.com/p_list.html
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

AlanG wrote:Enjoy the smooth cycleway and save your energy for the Devil's Staircase!
If you are doing the new section on any day other than Sunday you should contact the Finnart Estate as signs indicated that stalking was likely until February 15th.

http://www.finnartestate.com/p_list.html

Errr..
ROE BUCK 1st March to 20th October

ROE DOE 21st October to 31st March

RED STAGS 1st July to 20th October

HINDS 21 October to 15th February

:-)
AlanG

Post by AlanG »

I noticed that!
The signs said stalking takes place from 1st July to February 15th. Maybe no one pays to shoot Roe deer?