Fat B Nimble. distorted?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rufus748

Fat B Nimble. distorted?

Post by rufus748 »

In the pursuit of getting some more air under me I've swapped out my Arch's for some Duallys.
2.4 on the rear due to tolerance issues.
Just had delivered a Panaracer Fat B Nimble for the front. Most difficult tyre I've ever had to set up tubless due to the walls collapsing constantly. Dropped a tube in overnight to seal one side and hopefully form the shape a bit. Well it went up but it's clearly distorted on the rim by at least 5mm over a 6" run. I've checked the 'ribs' along the side and it's perfectly seated.
Dropped the tube out and tried again, same thing.
The rims are straight and true.
Anyone else had problems with them before I get it replaced?
Cheers.
FLV

Re: Fat B Nimble. distorted?

Post by FLV »

I have 2 29x3 fat b nimbles.
Both went up tubeless fine on blunts. One loses air over several days as theres not enough sealant coating the walls.

Generally the wider the rim, the harder the tyre is to seat ime
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I have 26 x 4 inch fat B nimbles. Set up ghetto tubeless. They went up first time. No problems so far.
DrMekon

Post by DrMekon »

rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

"Dr.Mekon"

Yup, that would be it. It's too much, way outside of acceptance from a major tyre manufacturer.
It's going back tomorrow for a swap. Hopefully it's replacement will either be straight or no where near as bad.
Shame,I dropped a tube in it today and did a quick hour still in the hope it was a seating issue and it might 'sort itself'. It didn't however I was very impressed with grip and ride quality. 15lb with a tube was just right and no pinch flats although I didn't push it hard.
Waiting for the postman, again..
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

My chronicles both have a bit of run out when run tubeless but are fine when tubed... got a pair of fbn's coming so will be interesting to see how they work out
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I had the same problem with some 650B Panaracer Fire Pros. Set up tubeless on Arch Ex and they had a major 'wobble'. I managed to get this to an acceptable amount by beading carefully but it took 40 psi and I also had to use commercial tyre fitting paste (for car tires) to get the tyre to pop onto the bead. The tires were also a very tight fit on the rims, to the point where I now carry tyre levers in my riding kit as there is no way I'll get one off by hand if I need to fit an emergency tube. My LBS had a batch of these tires they sent back as they couldn't get them to seat without the wobble. They were replaced and the new ones were fine so perhaps panaracer have had some quality issues?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Went back today. Hopefully it's a one off although some of the comments here tend to suggest it might be a manufacturing issue.
Waiting for the postman....
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

So, the replacement has arrived and is finally set up tubeless. 3 wraps of gorilla tape helped to tighten it up.
It's still obviously warped although not as bad as the first one. Still, it's got a massive volume compared to the previous 2.4.
Looking forward to the test ride.