What does your bike weigh and do you care?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Brothersmith

What does your bike weigh and do you care?

Post by Brothersmith »

Took my Fargo into lbs today for some maintenance and noticed they had some digital scales, so asked them to weigh it. It came in at 31lb!!!! Kind of put the weight was looking at saving by switching from gas to meths into perspective.

I run bb7s, jonesbars, thumbs with xt drivetrain, deore wheels and rack. New the build wasn't light but figured it was compensated by reliability and bike rides like it's a lot lighter.

So how many of you know how much your bike weighs and do you spend money to get as light as possible or accept that with reliability comes weight?
didnothingfatal

Re: What does your bike weigh and do you care?

Post by didnothingfatal »

Surely it's more about how much the gear weighs that you're carrying? And yes I care :?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In all honesty I've only ever weighed my bike once and can't remember how much it weighed. I know it's heavy but I like it and it makes me smile, so the weight doesn't really bother me ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

didnothingfatal wrote:Surely it's more about how much the gear weighs that you're carrying? And yes I care :?
Isn't it bout the total weight your peddling/pushing?

S8tnnorm, don't get me wrong I luv my Fargo and not about to change. But recently been getting obsessed on how to save weight, spured on by your write up of lightweight tarps and stoves ;) Just figured I could proberbly save more weight by loosing it from bike but being new to bikepacking (but not camping or biking) didn't know if people worried about bike weighs or just look at savings from kit?
Ian

Post by Ian »

I've always looked at the weight of the whole system. At the end of the day, gravity is acting on the whole thing so what ever I can do to reduce it will make it easier for me to pedal it all up hill :)

My bike weighs about 21.5 lbs, but it's SS so not carrying all that gear related gubbins saves quite a bit. Until recently I hadn't even weighed it, and having done so I'm quite pleased at the figure but as a reformed weightweenie I don't feel compelled to get the weight down further.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Hardtail weighs 20.5 pounds, but it's a bit harsh for all day use, so if I was wearing a pack, I wouldn't use it. The Stumpy FSR weighs 25 pounds, and is nicer to ride for big rides, especially if wearing a pack.

If bivvying out, my pack weighs about 11 pounds plus water, so it's a lot of extra weight going through my backside. I would consider bike packs, but I'm not convinced yet that they would suit me.
didnothingfatal

Brothersmith wrote:
didnothingfatal wrote:Surely it's more about how much the gear weighs that you're carrying? And yes I care :?
Isn't it bout the total weight your peddling?

Yes but a bike like a 31.5lb Fargo is never going to be a lightweight bike. Therefore you need to think gear to save your weight. Where can you really loose major weight on the Fargo? Best weight saving, probably is yourself.
griffdowg

Post by griffdowg »

total weight= Bike + Gear + person riding

Factors to consider are: comfort/cost/speed

Generally I would think that to reduce weight you decrease comfort and increase cost but you gain speed. unless your losing weight off your body! probably the best way to erase weight from your total.

Increased weight increases comfort, can reduce costs, lose of speed.

Like everything its a compromise and tailored to individual tastes.

To answer your question I haven't weighed my bike, my gear is relatively light weight but I wouldn't spend £50 on a new sleeping mat to save 100g or £100 on a new sleeping bag to save 150g. I didn't buy a fargo as it didn't suit all my needs (overkill) so I bought a vaya and I do my (light) bikepacking on that. just looked at the stock weight and its 11.7kg (25lbs). Will likely use this for the WRT (used on the M&B) but I am tempted by my FSR stumpjumper.

G
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I used to be as obsessed about bike weights as I do now about bivvy kit. But tbh sub 20lb bikes don't ride that great for the type of riding I regularly do, so 24/5lb (1x9 ti HT) is where its at now, and I try and keep gear weight as low as I can.

20lb bike 10lb kit = 25lb bike 5lb kit. -Not IME.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Don't know but wouldn't be so glib as to say don't care. Certainly like to save reasonable weight but if I'm not enjoyuing riding then what's the point.

Have been buying some Ti un-necessaries (pegs - WTF!) but that's my gear-itis, a problem I should probably seek help for :lol:

I was struck by how much lighter and more compact the Woodman X hammock I recently got is compared to the Hennessey Exp. Asym. Even the Warbonnet tarp that FF pressured me into packs remarkably small and light.

On your Fargo I'd go for some better wheels, Deore's being right clunkers 8-)

Saying all that my riding : talking ratio is utter pants :(
didnothingfatal

Cheeky Monkey wrote:Have been buying some Ti un-necessaries (pegs - WTF!)
Don't be ridiculous, of course they are necessary!! :D

Gear obsession is fine, Cuben, Ti, SilNylon it's all good! It'll all be used, and will be more pleasant to carry on either bike or back!
Ian

Post by Ian »

griffdowg wrote:total weight= Bike + Gear + person riding
Ah, but...

We're usually accustomed to carting our own weight around, so bike + gear as a % of your weight is more important than just adding in your own weight to the system. Also, if you decrease your weight you may also decrease your power output, so if your bike+gear stays the same you'll find it harder to move the weight of bike+gear.
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

On your Fargo I'd go for some better wheels, Deore's being right clunkers
Too right, first thing on shopping list when I can get approval from the other half ;) stock weight of Fargo is supposed to be 27lb so 31ib came as a bit of a shock!!
We're usually accustomed to carting our own weight around, so bike + gear as a % of your weight is more important than just adding in your own weight to the system. Also, if you decrease your weight you may also decrease your power output, so if your bike+gear stays the same you'll find it harder to move the weight of bike+gear.
Ian, I reckon I have a fair but of weight to shift before I start loosing muscle :D