Help me build a bike packing bike please!!!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

snack_ie

Help me build a bike packing bike please!!!

Post by snack_ie »

After a very small sample of bike packing this summer, travelling from Cardiff to Bangor off road I have been hooked & have not stopped thinking about some bigger adventures since.

Firstly though I would like to try and build up a suitable bike packing bike that I could potentially use for some larger adventures.

I am hoping to get January off work and thinking that I would like to either do an adventure/trip in South America (my brother lives in Brazil) or maybe in South Africa (somewhere warm & that speaks English).

I am quite handy with bikes always doing my own work on my fleet however I don't always know the full in & outs and specifics.

The things I that I can use parts from are:

*** Old 26" XC MTB with XT parts however I cannot attached any panniers to this frame.
*** I have Ortlieb back panniers which I have never used

The the things I think I need are:

*** A suitable cheap frame that can take panniers -> either a 26" or 29" maybe and transfer parts over...

Could anyone point me in the direction of a cheap suitable frames?

Do on-one frames take panniers? These are cheap but are they reliable?

I also I want my bike to look clean & practical & would also think about spraying my own frame.

Are people able to post up photos of their bike packing bikes such that I can get ideas? I don't think there is a thread of this which would be good for ideas!

Thanks in advance for help,

N
benp1

Re: Help me build a bike packing bike please!!!

Post by benp1 »

I think you'd be better off buying some soft luggage for a trip like that, and then you can use what you already have

The soft luggage will be lighter, more robust and less likely to break. If you're in the back end of somewhere a broken rack is going to be pretty annoying
snack_ie

Post by snack_ie »

By soft luggage do you mean the strap on bike bags?

I used the AlpKit kit bags for Welsh coast to coast, but this would limit me in what I need to take!

I was even thinking something like this... (from a blog I was following)

http://theridesouth.com/equipment/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Wouldn't go too far wrong with an On-One inbred ... there's lots out there that have done their fair share of miles, mostly without problem.
May the bridges you burn light your way
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I think the need for a rear rack might put you down the wrong direction for bikepacking, as previously said, and especially long distances you want to minimize possible weak points, soft luggage is the way forward, but nothing wrong in using what you have

It seems rigid 29ers are most common, for both simplicity, speed and larger volume makes up for no shocks, but a 26" might be more useful for 3rd world travels with finding spares.

Also try to make everything simple, reparable, or easy to replace. Although that doesn't necessarily mean steel and single speed, reducing kit weight means less stress on parts long term

But remember, sometimes the best bikepacking bike is the one you already own, dont let technicalities or gear stop you getting out there and making memories :-bd
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

If you're riding mostly on road and the odd gravel/rough road in my experience panniers and a rack are ok.

If you're doing anything more 'off road' then I would say they become more of an issue/encumbrance.

If you only carry two panniers on the back of your bike which means most of the weight is on the back wheel you are more likely to break spokes in that wheel and you will go through tyres pretty rapidly.

Taking less and packing/buying carefully makes riding the bike much more fun, increases your options for routes and doesn't break your back when inevitably you have to lift/pick your bike up (trust me it will happen at least once). Having just ridden 6800 miles with rear panniers (mostly on the road) I never want to carry that much stuff again!

Also I would take every kit list with a pinch of salt. Everyone's idea of 'comfort' is different and identifying what you require to have a fun and comfortable trip is part of the art in selecting what kit to take and what to leave behind. Naturally kit lists can help you make a more 'informed' decision based on information from people who have ridden where you are intending on going but I wouldn't copy them or take them as gospel.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

+1 to what ctznsmith has said.

Bikepacking is a case of (hopefully) continuous improvement, you'll rarely if ever get the kit list absolutely right. Some days you'll take too much, others too little, but usually you'll have some kit that you don't use and some you wish you had. I've noted before that having a list of everything you take is useful. When you get back home cross off everything that you used, what's left (other than personal medication, first aid kit and tools) was just extra weight and taking up space.

Just what you take depends on yourself. Some people sleep "warm" so can get away with a lighter sleeping bag for example. There's no one right answer, if there was then everyone would be doing it that way.

A lot comes down to experience: I've done a lot of alpine climbing which also relies on carrying just the right amount of gear so I know what I need to be comfortable in particular conditions. In a way I've short cut the sleeping out/travelling light learning curve but still needed to learn the best way to pack/carry it all on the bike. Have a look through the blog on here (it's the "Reviews" bit), Stuart has put up some good articles on all this.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
duncdan

Post by duncdan »

I asked a similar question recently here, and while I agree that any bike will do, I plan to buy a genesis longitude or build a 29er inbred with rigid forks, wide rims and a dynamo hub. Done several trips on my onone 456 and there is nothing wrong with it for bike packing but a 29er with fat wheels is what I fancy. This is in addition obviously as no bike fan ever wants to sell a perfectly good bike!
snack_ie

Post by snack_ie »

Thanks for the posts guys.

I will continue to have a look around and think what I might do.

N