Borders 350. 2015 Final Route and Details.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Re: Borders 350. 2015 Final Route and Details.

Post by Ray Young »

ianfitz wrote:a basic heads up about sections which are likely to be slower going would be a big help in planning resupply points
I'll get onto it later today.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Peebles to Megget reservoir including the Broughton Heights loop, hard, lots of climbing, mostly hill/moorland path with some forest/land rover track.
Megget Reservoir to Fruid Reservoir, easy, road with some climbing.
Fruid Reservoir to The Devil's Beeftub, hard, uphill bikehike.
Devil's Beeftub to Moffat, medium, some short steep pushes uphill, hill/moorland path.
Moffat to The Cheviot Hills, easy/medium, mostly good forest track, some road, you should be able to do big miles despite a fair bit of climbing.
Cheviot Hills ridgeline to Kirk Yetholm, medium/hard, hill/moorland path. Doesn't look far but it always takes me longer than I think it will to cover the distance.
Kirk Yetholm to Wooler, easy, nearly all road, fairly flat, short off road section before Wooler on hill/moorland path.
Wooler to Prendwick, medium, mix of hill/moorland path, bikehike (short section), good hardpack farm tracks.
Prendwick to Clennel, easy, road.
Clennel to NT860114 (the start of the climb back over the Cheviot ridge), easy/medium, forest track, single track, road.
NT860114 to Hownam, a hard long climb followed by a good descent, hill/moorland path.
Hownam to Selkirk, easy/medium, mix of hardpack farm tracks, forest tracks, some road, some single track.
Selkirk to Peebles, hard, hill/moorland path.

Hope it helps :wink: .
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Thanks ray that is a big help.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Thought I'd post a kit kit list after Ray posted up his and I've done a weather check and have decided in mine...

Fully rigid T'inbred 1x11 set up with 35mm rims. Chronicle 3.0 front, ikon 2.35 rear. Jones bars, brooks c15 saddle. Dynamo hub and lights

In my front bag (5l alpkit)
Short neoair mat
PHD minimus ultra
Boxers for night time
Black diamond twilight bivy (has midge netting sewn in)
SP20 suncream (lasts all day, to apply in the morning)
Weighs 1265

Zipped Wildcat bag that sits in front (probably has a snappier name!)
Inline filter
1 litre bag for filter
Spork
Tiny folding knife
Pour and store bag for 'takeaway' food
Space for food
Weighs 295

Saddle bag (tapered alpkit one)
Planet X long gloves
Waterproof over mitts
Leg warmers
Goretex Paclite smock and trousers
Fleece hat
Thermal vest base layer
Innov 8 thermoshell (260g synthetic smock)
Extra set decathlon bibs
Weighs 1159

Frame bag
Tools
Spare tube
Pump
First aid kit
Diablo helmet light
Space for food
can't be arsed to take it off the bike to weigh

Top tube bag
2 x 'Buffer' battery (3000 mah) and leads one to charge. One to be charged.
Chamois cream
Elete salt replacement
Smidge
MP3 and headphones
Various drugs
Small tooth brush and paste
TP and lighter
Weighs 558

Bar mounted feedbag
Space for food

One 750ml bottle
Garmin 800 with Daves mapping
iPhone with memorymap 50k scale maps of all of UK
Revo light

On me
Decathlon bibs
Norton wheelers club Jersey. Short sleeve full zip
Giro gel gloves
Inov 8 fell running shoes
Helmet
Aldi cycling glasses

In my pockets:
Merino Arm warmers (cheapo on one type)
Midge head net
Spot
Wind proof gillet

Due the weather forecast I'm not totally sure on what my strategy is so have enough kit to survive, in relative comfort, most situations day or nighttime riding should throw at me. *He said hopefully*

Planning on using the well located bothies for the first two nights then see how it goes from there
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hi guys.

I'm going to have to Bail. Work has let me down and got in my way. If it's any interest to people I've booked at the rosetta camp site tomorrow night and pre payed if anyone wants to stay for free just pretend to be me (only one person though :-) )

Its under my name, Karl Booth.

Good luck folks and thanks for arranging Ray. I will get up in a few weeks to attempt the route, just not this weekend.

Have fun and stay safe
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

ianfitz wrote:Thought I'd post a kit kit list after Ray posted up his and I've done a weather check and have decided in mine...

Fully rigid T'inbred 1x11 set up with 35mm rims. Chronicle 3.0 front, ikon 2.35 rear. Jones bars, brooks c15 saddle. Dynamo hub and lights

In my front bag (5l alpkit)
Short neoair mat
PHD minimus ultra
Boxers for night time
Black diamond twilight bivy (has midge netting sewn in)
SP20 suncream (lasts all day, to apply in the morning)
Weighs 1265

Zipped Wildcat bag that sits in front (probably has a snappier name!)
Inline filter
1 litre bag for filter
Spork
Tiny folding knife
Pour and store bag for 'takeaway' food
Space for food
Weighs 295

Saddle bag (tapered alpkit one)
Planet X long gloves
Waterproof over mitts
Leg warmers
Goretex Paclite smock and trousers
Fleece hat
Thermal vest base layer
Innov 8 thermoshell (260g synthetic smock)
Extra set decathlon bibs
Weighs 1159

Frame bag
Tools
Spare tube
Pump
First aid kit
Diablo helmet light
Space for food
can't be arsed to take it off the bike to weigh

Top tube bag
2 x 'Buffer' battery (3000 mah) and leads one to charge. One to be charged.
Chamois cream
Elete salt replacement
Smidge
MP3 and headphones
Various drugs
Small tooth brush and paste
TP and lighter
Weighs 558

Bar mounted feedbag
Space for food

One 750ml bottle
Garmin 800 with Daves mapping
iPhone with memorymap 50k scale maps of all of UK
Revo light

On me
Decathlon bibs
Norton wheelers club Jersey. Short sleeve full zip
Giro gel gloves
Inov 8 fell running shoes
Helmet
Aldi cycling glasses

In my pockets:
Merino Arm warmers (cheapo on one type)
Midge head net
Spot
Wind proof gillet

Due the weather forecast I'm not totally sure on what my strategy is so have enough kit to survive, in relative comfort, most situations day or nighttime riding should throw at me. *He said hopefully*

Planning on using the well located bothies for the first two nights then see how it goes from there
I have no strategy other than have a go and see what happens. This is the longest trip with the most climbing I've attempted.
Kit lists appreciated. It has helped me hone mine. Brilliant idea to have a pour n store bag for takeaway food.
Looking forward to the trip. Good luck to all.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Mark and I are on the road headed north see you all later
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

After packing the bike and going to bed I couldn't sleep because I was worried the bike was too heavy. I mulled over what to drop and decided on removing one inner tube, some gels and some food. I then dropped off to sleep only to be awoken by the 20 year old stepdaughter coming in at 3.30, didn't get back to sleep till after 5.00. Sure I'll be fine. Looking forward to this, like pushbikemike I have never attempted anything so big over a short period of time.
Karl

Post by Karl »

How did everyone get on? Was as an epic as predicted? I'm gutted I've had to miss out on this one but will make time later this year me thinks.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Mark and I are back in Peebles. Five of us started, mark and I kept meeting up and there was one rider in front of us (htrider from here I think) but we didn't see any tyre tracks on day 2 so he must have scratched around Moffat. No idea about Ray and Mike.

Ray has created a monster!! It travels through some beautiful places with some amazing views. There is some really good riding too, but also some large sections of very rough ground that are at the limits of rideability. There are some excellent, long climbs too.

We'd thought that getting to phawhope bothy at the end of the first day would be doable (145km) or even greensykes at 190 if going really well. I didn't pass greensykes until 4! And that's pm the next afternoon.

I'd got far as wooler by 1pm yesterday after rinding for ~40hours over the two and a half days (to make 360km!) I felt like I was riding strongly and was feeling good. Albeit a little ragged around the edges like you get when riding for 40 hours over 2 1/2 days with not much much sleep.

The main thing that did for me was electronics/gps. I had two anker batteries charging (or so I thought!) alternately by wooler they were both flat. Most shops were shut and I couldn't even buy a map. I only had about 6 hours of gps time and figured I needed ~20 hours of riding to finish. There is a lot of very beautiful, but VERY remote ground on the route and I thought that putting myself in the midst of it with no maps, or compass would be a survival challenge I wasn't ready for. Plus we need to be back in Sheffield tonight latest and I figured there was a fourth very long day to ride and most of my timing estimations had been way off!

All in it's been a great weekend. I wanted a test of my kit and myself. Oh wow did I get it! By the time I'd ridden the ~100km of road back from wooler it was getting dark again so another long day.

Ray has clearly put in a lot of hard work in planning the route and it is well worth its place in UK backpacking. It's a fantastically challenging route that should not be underestimated! Thanks Ray - I think!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Ian, thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed it. Sorry to hear battery failure let you down in the end. At the start you mentioned wondering why more people had not signed up. Well, after an endorsement like yours I think there will be a few more on the start line next year, thanks.
Last edited by Ray Young on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ray Young wrote:Hi Ian, thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed it. Sorry to hear battery failure let you down in the end. At the start you metioned wondering why more people had not signed up. Well, after an endorsement like yours I think there will be a few more on the start line next year, thanks.
I'll do a proper write up when I've a bigger keyboard than my phone but for now.

Mark caught me up just before the bike hike and we bivid by the beef tub at 1am. Slept in as we knew not much would be open in Moffat. We ride pretty much together until the decent to phawthope then I pulled away. Rode on missing all other services by 30 mins, but had plenty of food.

Got to spithope before midnight but could see a light on and hear merriment from the track so carried in to the shelter at yearning saddle. Arrived 1.30am - that was a long day! Must be close to 200km.

Decided to lie-in until 7 and left at 7.30 then hit wooler just before 1pm. Then the long ride back.

Need to read the other thread about AA battery powered GPSs!
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

ianfitz wrote:
Ray Young wrote:Hi Ian, thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed it. Sorry to hear battery failure let you down in the end. At the start you metioned wondering why more people had not signed up. Well, after an endorsement like yours I think there will be a few more on the start line next year, thanks.
I'll do a proper write up when I've a bigger keyboard than my phone but for now.

Mark caught me up just before the bike hike and we bivid by the beef tub at 1am. Slept in as we knew not much would be open in Moffat. We ride pretty much together until the decent to phawthope then I pulled away. Rode on missing all other services by 30 mins, but had plenty of food.

Got to spithope before midnight but could see a light on and hear merriment from the track so carried in to the shelter at yearning saddle. Arrived 1.30am - that was a long day! Must be close to 200km.

Decided to lie-in until 7 and left at 7.30 then hit wooler just before 1pm. Then the long ride back.

Need to read the other thread about AA battery powered GPSs!
Wow. Impressive riding Ian.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Thanks Mike. I was really enjoying it and gutted to have to make the (probably sensible!) decision to stop.

Then again I'd probably just be finishing now! If I'd kept up that level of intensity (guesstimate!)

It's a really beautiful part of the world you live in! Shamed to admit never visiting before. But will be back for sure :-bd
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

We are lucky up here. Lots of good trails and sensible access laws. If you're up this way again let me know if you want company on the ride ( although I'm way slower than you) it catch up for a beer.
Cheers
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

pushbikemike wrote:We are lucky up here. Lots of good trails and sensible access laws. If you're up this way again let me know if you want company on the ride ( although I'm way slower than you) it catch up for a beer.
Cheers
Cheers Mike. Will do, I'm not always in a rush on the bike and always happy to go for a more sociable ride :-bd

Ps. A crafty pint or two always welcome too!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Top riding chaps. So another route with no finishes then?

Says much about how hard it must be.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

The amended gpx track of the first part of the route is now up on the first post on this thread (map my run). Route distance has only changed by a mile or so.
I will email it directly it to everyone who has so far requested the route.
Anyone else who wants it directly from me email me at youngray50ATgmailDOTcom
Thanks for the input and suggestions guys, I struggled a lot with making that bit work and didn't really want to add in any more road but it's only a few miles and makes that section more enjoyable without losing out on the views and makes Moffat far more achievable on the first day or next morning :-bd .