Sandstone Way advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Artie Fufkin

Sandstone Way advice

Post by Artie Fufkin »

Thinking of doing the Sandstone Way in a couple of weekends and I know a few people have done the ride on here.
A bit of a heads up is what I'm after really.
Being 120miles, is it easily do able in two days? I can't find a profile of it anywhere, so no idea of hills or terrain and wondering what bike to take. How are the amenities (shops, pubs etc) spread out along the way. Any advice on bivvy spots as we fancy travelling light.
All advice and ideas very welcome.
Many thanks in advance.
Adam.
stucowp

Re: Sandstone Way advice

Post by stucowp »

I did this around 3 weeks ago, not a bad route lovely scenery felt like a lot of tarmac at times but it did help the average speed at times.

I bivvyed above Rothbury which was nice. I started at 3pm on the Friday and was done by 11:30am on Saturday. At a more touring pace easy to do in 2 days.

Plenty of food available and other good bivvy sites. On the route as well.

If I get chance I'll post some pictures up.

One word of warning after coming away from the coast after crossing the road the gpx route took me through a field of corn or something it was upto my bloody shoulders at one point!
Single Speed George

Re: Sandstone Way advice

Post by Single Speed George »

I would be quite interested in seeing some photos of this route too as looks kind of interesting as something to do in the next few weekends...