TRP Spyke

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

SRS

TRP Spyke

Post by SRS »

STW have just given the TRP Spyke brakes a fairly glowing review: http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/trp ... isc-brake/

I'm have BB7 on a Singular Gryphon and would consider in switching to Spyke brakes if they are as good and as hassle free as STW reports.

Do any Spyke riders here agree with the STW view?
bookwyse

Re: TRP Spyke

Post by bookwyse »

Clare has them on her Genesis and I cant find fault with them. Be sure to set the cable up properly as they work well.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

not used these but I have the Spyres on a road/CX bike. I like them a lot and much prefer the lever feel to the hope V twin i had before. I'm using mine with compression-less outers.

Have heard through Si at 18 bike that he rates the Spykes too.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

I've just (few weeks ago) fitted them to my KM, and all I can say is, buy them, theyre relatively light, the lever feel is amazing and the power is more than good enough with 160/180 rotors back/front for anything I'm going to throw at them! Buy em!
atk

Post by atk »

Have Spyres ordered to go on the new bike when it arrives. If they work out I've been eyeing up Spykes for the Karate Monkey...
SRS

Post by SRS »

That's helpful, thanks guys.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Got Spykes on my bike at the mo, had BB7s on there for a few yrs previously. Spykes are easier to set up, feel is similar, a bit more direct pad to lever feel maybe, performance comparable. If you find BB7 a hassle you'll prefer spykes, they're a bit easier to run but if you're happy with BB7s I'm not seeing any real reason to change. The TRPs don't fit with the SP hub, its wider on the inside so needs the rotor spacing out a few mm.
atk

Post by atk »

That's interesting to know. Does that depend on the fork at all or is it the gap between rotor and spokes that's the problem?
Dainiusd

Post by Dainiusd »

Really good brakes those Spyres-notSpykes are :) Just inner spacing is a bit tight.
Its about 1-2mm gap from spokes on my bike (Kinesis CX wheels)

GlasgowDave

Post by GlasgowDave »

What flat bar levers are people using with these? Any advice?

Dave
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

GlasgowDave wrote:What flat bar levers are people using with these? Any advice?

Dave
I've just got the Spyke levers as well, and they seem pretty good, light, comfortable, solid. No complaints :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

Does that depend on the fork at all or is it the gap between rotor and spokes that's the problem?
Depends on the hub mainly, ie taller flange means less space between caliper and brake body, since unless you start spacing over the disc and caliper the disc position should be fixed. My SP hub and a 650B wheel meant no Spyres on that particular bike and a 650B will have better spoke clearance angle than a 29. It's a shame as the brakes are really good, been tweaking the Spykes this week and they're feeling great. Tried swapping the cable to the wrong side of the bolt and tbh they felt better, firmer at the lever also, but I hate having stuff done up 'wrong' so they went back where they should be : )
Using them with M970 XTR levers.
GlasgowDave

Post by GlasgowDave »

Ben98 wrote:
GlasgowDave wrote:What flat bar levers are people using with these? Any advice?

Dave
I've just got the Spyke levers as well, and they seem pretty good, light, comfortable, solid. No complaints :-bd
Thanks Ben, I'll have a look at them
Purty

Post by Purty »

I am running TRP Spyres on my Lynskey Procross CX bike which has a Kenesis carbon fork run in wheel combinations Exposure SP dynamo hub, Mavic Crossmax SL 29er and Hope built onto Stans 29er. All seem to have ok clearance.

These brakes are fantastic and I wish I had purchased some sooner - they are a superb replacement for my old Tektro Lyras which were a nightmare to setup, had absolutely no feel and were probably worse than a set of 1990 cantilever brakes.