Rovaniemi 150

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Re: Rovaniemi 150

Post by voodoo_simon »

Just been to llandegla to play in the snow and ice just found out, snow is hard to ride in :shock:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just been to llandegla to play in the snow and ice just found out, snow is hard to ride in
I can't help but think it's a little late in the day to be making such discoveries :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Post by Ian »

voodoo_simon wrote:Just been to llandegla to play in the snow and ice just found out, snow is hard to ride in :shock:
Prior to the recent snow fall, I've been searching out Wales' finest bogs and soft sandy beaches to simulate the extra effort required for riding through snow.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

s8tannorm wrote:
Just been to llandegla to play in the snow and ice just found out, snow is hard to ride in
I can't help but think it's a little late in the day to be making such discoveries :wink:
Just told the wifey my discovery "isn't that obvious?!" was her remark!

Been on the beaches and deep mud, but had to push sections today in the snow. Must be a faulty bike :lol: To be honest, it was all good. Worse type of snow was that kind with a frozen layer over powder snow, hard work breaking the top layer then sinking through!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

hard work breaking the top layer then sinking through!
Sinking through ... everyone know fat bikes float over the top of snow as though their wheels aren't touching the ground ... sinking through indeed :roll:
May the bridges you burn light your way
paul78

Post by paul78 »

During recent Cairngorms ride and amid the long push through the valley of doom we ventured in to Kenny from Alpkit came out with ..

"Last time I ever call these things snow bikes" :)

Conditions have to be good or it's a long walk with a snow anchor :)
shoestring-racing.blogspot.com
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

paul78 wrote: "Last time I ever call these things snow bikes" :)
This is what I mean :grin:

Just saw the pictures on the alpkit website Paul, what front rack are you using?
paul78

Post by paul78 »

Salsa minimalist rack .. provides a nice place to mount my front light too :)
shoestring-racing.blogspot.com
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/clkk4j412ra2w ... 0.jpg?dl=0

snow was deep enough for my pedal to touch it. Didn't work with 0.25 bar pressure. I ended up running 0.12 bar front and rear and it worked. Rode 30 km like that last night and it only took me about 5.5 h. Should be faster in Rov. Just saying this as it shows that a sh** load depends only on tyre pressure. Go check Toni Lund's and adjust yours accordingly if you're not sure but ambitious ;-)
Very likely you'll be running 0.25 - 0.4 bar. I mostly do a fist test instead of one with the thumb when I don't have the manometer with me.
FLV

Post by FLV »

you've dropped your glove there Gian....
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'll be running whatever's the minimum pressure to hold floaters on!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Depends on the snow - windslab is a total nightmare (unless its 15 - 25degrees downhill), likewise breakable crust. Saturated snow is unrideable on a fatty cos the tyres just float and slide. Proper fluffy powder can be ridden up to daft depths but this rarely occurs in the UK. Pray for a freeze thaw cycle so your on hard frozen snow - grippy and easy(er). Its not meant to be easy!
Ian

Post by Ian »

A clue surely lies in the sub 10km/h average speed posted for the fastest completion in what was presumably the "best" conditions they've had in the past 3 years.

Still, it is what it is. Same course for everyone, and all that.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Ian wrote:A clue surely lies in the sub 10km/h average speed posted for the fastest completion in what was presumably the "best" conditions they've had in the past 3 years
Yeah, 0.25 bar conditions then :wink:
FLV wrote:you've dropped your glove there Gian....
My dad thought it was a sandal...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Alex on the R150 Facebook page showed yesterday the trail before and after he went through on the skidoo, whole world of difference :shock:

Cheers Paul, think I've looked into that rack before and it's still discontinued. Saw a Thule version but think I'll stick with my original setup.

Alpinum, I ran 8PSI the other day in the snow, so it's looking like I need to drop my tyre pressure for the race.

Those race speeds caused a lot of bother when I was trying to go singlespeed! Gave up in the end trying to get a good ratio and I'm back with a 2x10 setup.

Two weeks today and Ian and Johnny will be there, and I'll be flying out. Can't wait :-bd
Ian

Post by Ian »

I was running about 6psi (0.4 bar) on the TCW.

Two weeks to fly out? Right. Hopefully that's enough time to get rid of this cold :|
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Fingers crossed Ian.

Random thought, if anyone is taking any face cream/lotions/lip balms etc, then make sure it is water/aqua free as this can freeze to the skin
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

voodoo_simon wrote:Fingers crossed Ian.

Random thought, if anyone is taking any face cream/lotions/lip balms etc, then make sure it is water/aqua free as this can freeze to the skin
Holy crap!
I'm packing this weekend.

Balaclava to keep the sun off!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Heres my kit, just need to add lip balm, steel+flint, matches, and a lot more food to it and I'm sorted (until someone highlights something I've forgotten). Feel free to pick bones with it (original link to the blog explaining each item https://singlespeedsimon.wordpress.com/ ... i-150-kit/)

Ian

Post by Ian »

Very organised :geek:

I've spent the evening stripping the bike down, servicing bearings etc and generally making sure everything works.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

(until someone highlights something I've forgotten). Feel free to pick bones with it
Only one pair of socks?

I'd not take the pressure gauge, get a feel for the pressure before you go.

Blister protection.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Richpips wrote:
(until someone highlights something I've forgotten). Feel free to pick bones with it
Only one pair of socks?

Blister protection.
It can be left in the hotel. Besides, there'll be jiggery pokery going on if you pump up your tyres in the warm hotel and then ride outside at -15ish.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

johnnystorm wrote:
Richpips wrote:
Only one pair of socks?

Blister protection.
It can be left in the hotel. Besides, there'll be jiggery pokery going on if you pump up your tyres in the warm hotel and then ride outside at -15ish.
Can I suggest the use of motorsport nitrogen tyre inflator to fill your tyres for greater pressure stability according to temperature :wink:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

You can.... :wink:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Ian, I got the mechanic in work last month to sort nee bike out, new cables throughout, new chain and cassette. Had a few weeks to bed in :grin:

Point taken about the socks, I'll add in a fresh set. If it's freezing, I'll add in a fresh base layer and I can swap half way. Pressure gauge will go to Finland but may not make it on the race.

Not sure about blister protection, may take gaffa tape as a fix it all?!

Think I'll pass on the nitrogen :wink: