Elbow pain/stiffness on long rides

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

tommid

Elbow pain/stiffness on long rides

Post by tommid »

I get stiff, sore, painful elbows on longer rides. I use Jones loops and Odi grips and have tried shifting my position, but can't go anymore up right. I wondered if a set of Ergon GC1 grips might help?
Your thoughts and experiences of similar?
SlowRide

Re: Elbow pain/stiffness on long rides

Post by SlowRide »

I have had a few bouts with elbow pain before, my thoughts looking back are that it seemed like when my core/back muscles started giving out on long rides I would slump forward a bit, hanging more weight on my shoulders and almost locking out my elbows, which led to an almost hyper-extension type strain in the elbow, the pain would sometimes occur laterally in the elbow as well. After working more on core muscle development it seemed like the issue went away, presumably because I could support myself better on long rides due to more core strength and wouldn't end up slumping. I should also say that I did switch to Ergon GP5 grips, but the switch was not directly aimed at solving the elbow issue, it was to get more hand positions, which could also without me thinking about have helped combat the problem. Hope you get it figured out. Cheers.
tommid

Post by tommid »

Cheers fella, interestingly I have forgone gym for running lately so less core work.
Mart

Post by Mart »

I quite like my Ergons, think they make a difference for me (also a Jones Loop User)
2924 miles per Gallon
Dave42w

Post by Dave42w »

I have Ergons on my Jones loop bar and also on my Bullitt cargobike and my wife has them on her utility bike.
Compared to the variety of other grips we have used they are more comfortable and outlast them all (not had to replace any yet).
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

I've got some GC1's that I'm looking to get rid of, they just don't agree with me, PM me if your interested :grin: