lightweight sleeping bag for October weather

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Karl

lightweight sleeping bag for October weather

Post by Karl »

Hi Guys.

Bit late in the day but trying to mod my kit to make it lighter but useable in October. Any recommendations on sub kilo sleeping bags for that time of year?

Its for an event in 3 1/2 weeks time :shock:
AlasdairMc

Re: lightweight sleeping bag for October weather

Post by AlasdairMc »

Rab Module is £70 on Sport Pursuit but it's only a top bag. I used a Cumulus Quantum 350 at the weekend and was too warm - it's good to -6 and weighs 700g.
Zonc

Post by Zonc »

It depends upon whether you are a hot or a cold sleeper. I use a Minim PHD bag, in autumn/spring with a warm liner and down jacket and thermal leggings and bivvy bag - slept in -5 ish. Rest of the year I use it with a 'silk' liner and depending on where I am geographically, a down gillet or a lightweight fleece, this gives me a good night's sleep. Wear a warm hat - you can loose up to 20% of body heat through your head and always use a mat of some sort, 30% of your body heat can be list to the ground otherwise .... I am a pretty 'hot' sleeper . I have used this bag inside a buffalo outer bag when it was really snowy one winter trip. Worked well for me.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks for the replies. The quantum 350 and PHD seem good value, maybe a bit more pricy than expected. They are both half the weight of my current sleeping bag which is good. Zonc, I sleep hot so generally need to regulate my temp down so could do a similar thing to you.

I'll keep searching but them 2 are definitely contenders.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've been using a Force 10 Catalyst 250. Very high quality down and been okay down to zero.

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/vango-catal ... e=78114890
May the bridges you burn light your way
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hi Stu.

Bit nervous about the warmth rating. Would you say the 400 is worth the extra money or is the 250 suitable for October weather. I know the question can't really be answered, just looking for opinion really. I usually sleep with base layers and down jacket as well just in case.

http://m.fieldandtrek.com/mt/www.fielda ... t_redirect
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bit nervous about the warmth rating. Would you say the 400 is worth the extra money or is the 250 suitable for October weather. I know the question can't really be answered, just looking for opinion really. I usually sleep with base layers and down jacket as well just in case.
I used mine at weekend and also the week before. This week the cloud came in a bit and I'd guess the temps were around 5 - 7 degrees, I only wore a thin base layer top. Last week there was a decent frost and I kipped with a base layer and thin down jacket ... I sleep cold but was okay.

I'd say the extra 150g of down in the 400 probably would be worth the extra cash and I reckon it could see you right through the year, as long as we don't have anymore very cold winters.

EDIT: just spotted this: http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/C ... Bc3fijoc20 another 400g fill bag at the same money ... sorry if I've confused the issue further.

SECOND EDIT: just found you the Rab bag quite a bit cheaper :-bd : http://www.rockrun.com/camping/sleeping ... 00-xl-2013
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

The thing to bear in mind is in October we'll fully be into Autumn (you can tell its turning at the moment)
It'll be either damp and mild or dry and cold. Two years ago it was a proper harsh frost over night.

If you get something good down to zero it'll do you well for all but the worst that winter can bring.

MidgeMagnet has the Field and Trek one and having seen it you cant go wrong with it.