New luggage options

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blackhound

New luggage options

Post by Blackhound »

Just seen this from Blackburn on the grit.cx site:

http://grit.cx/news/2014/08/eurobike-20 ... st-luggage

One of the big boys getting interested. Many road bikes don't have rack points so soft luggage is cheaper than a specific bike for short tours or overnighters.
Taylor

Re: New luggage options

Post by Taylor »

Loving the seat pack strapped around a reverb.
Like that's not going to ruin a £200 seat post.
Who made this display up?
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

flatfishy, that's well classy. It's a stealth reverb too, well enduro and £250! The seatpack looks either to be packed badly, or has a flaw in the design when it cinches too tight around the middle and the end will flop about all over the place.

It's probably good entry level stuff, but I dont think it'll match quality or design of smaller manufacturers with years of experience and testing.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I can't understand the decision of a highly water repellant stuffsac rather than a fully waterproof stuffsac. Surely it wouldn't have cost them much more to include. The cargo cage looks interesting though.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The cargo cage looks interesting though.
At the moment I'm still thinking the Gorilla cage makes much more sense than either this or the Anything cage ... mainly due to the fact it's nigh on unbreakable.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jpw247

Post by jpw247 »

Nowt wrong with a bit of healthy competition as it help drives cost down. What does annoy me is there must be a growing interest. That means more people and that is bad in my books. Climbing in the uk was a good example. The friends and I would be happy on a crag or multi pitch then the sport just exploded with popularity. Couldn't take a p!ss without someone climbing past saying hello or even finding litter several hundred feet up!
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

The bar roll looks like it only attaches by wrapping round the bars, so where do cables go? What prevents it rolling over the top when you hit the bumpy stuff?
atk

Post by atk »

If you expand this image... http://grit.cx/wp-content/uploads/2014/ ... all-54.jpg

It looks like there's a plastic clamp either side of the stem that the harness clips into...
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

Looks like the bar roll is priced at 75USD.
http://www.blackburndesign.com/bags.html

The wildcat one seems to offer a lot more for a similar price.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Lughnasadh wrote:Looks like the bar roll is priced at 75USD.
http://www.blackburndesign.com/bags.html

The wildcat one seems to offer a lot more for a similar price.
In defence of the blackburn the qr clip on might be quite good (if not carbon or bendy bar friendly) and it does come with a stuff sack.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Interested to see this stuff in person. Ive had a lot of Blackburn gear over the years and most of it has been pretty good, but from what I can tell from the pix, that bar harness is going to struggle with a decent load in it. I like the dry bag though - long and thin like the Revelate Sweet Role
I'm just going outside ...
jameso

Post by jameso »

Saw that at the show, the seatpack looked pretty good but the bar roll has a similar fitting design to a trad click-fix bar bag, not so keen on that for real off-road use. Nicely made throughout though. Had a closer look at Apidura's gear also. Again, all nicely made and generally well designed but the bar roll didn't seem that secure to me, design is the same as the the Sweetroll really. It's a lot of kit to hang off a couple of straps without any cinch-round straps to really secure it to the bar. I guess risers or flat bars dictate a lot of what can works there but for loop or drop bars there are better solutions (as well as the bars working better imo). And built-in rolls seem daft when you can just cinch a drybag to the harness like the Wildcat, Alpkit or older Revelate harnesses. So score 1 to the Blackburn for not making it one piece, since a harness should be bombproof for years of riding but the stuff/drybag won't be and a drybag is so cheap and easy to replace.
That means more people and that is bad in my books.
A general issue with the human race really : )