What GPS ??? Large Screen Version

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RayKickButts

Post by RayKickButts »

I'm looking for a more friendly bike GPS than my Garmin 62STC it has a tiny screen

The reason I've been looking at the 810 is down to the live tracking feature…. was wondering of any one has used this and is it as good as SPOT? My Mrs likes to keep a eye on me!!

Also wondering about battery life when navigating and live tracker is on as i have a 4 day solo ride coming up.

And i take it it should accept OS mapping?
Last edited by RayKickButts on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chew

Re: Garmin Edge 810 … any one have one?

Post by Chew »

I'm assuming that the live tracking works by connecting via your phone?

If it does you'll probably be reliant on G3 signal to transfer the data back to the website, so depending on your route it may/may not work.

The unit works on an internal battery so you'll need some kind of external power supply to keep it charged. Plus you'll need to keep your phone charged for the tracking as mobiles are power hungry while using 3G.

It depends on if you want all of the extra features that the unit comes with, as its not particularly cheap.

If you want the live tracking a Spot would probably be more reliable combined with cheaper GPS unit. Ok you'd have to stump up the annual subscription, but that might be a small price if it causes less stress at home.
RayKickButts

Post by RayKickButts »

Hi CHew

Yea as always your right rely's on data signal to transmit

So what do folk use then? i want a large screen thats easily visable when riding, that will auto scroll screen as im moving and will accept OS mapping and do basic functions, speed distance height etc
Bearbonesnorm

Re: What GPS ??? Large Screen Version

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So what do folk use then? i want a large screen thats easily visable when riding, that will auto scroll screen as im moving and will accept OS mapping and do basic functions, speed distance height etc
Garmin Dakota 20 pretty much does all that ... whether the screen's large enough obviously depends on your definition of 'large' :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mart

Post by Mart »

I chose a Satmap for Screen size as it needs to double up duties for Mountaineering
Top of my list was screen resolution to be able to read the OS mapping effectively
2924 miles per Gallon
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I "upgraded" from Dakota to an Oregon, partly to get the bigger screen. Don't expect the battery to last if you're keeping the screen on some sort of "auto-scrolling" though, you'd need a constant power feed for that to work in practice.
Dainiusd

Post by Dainiusd »

I use Android phone with OruxMaps App. It allows to download OS maps of selected area. There is size limit of downloaded map, but I could fit WRT '14 in one file, it also switches automatically between map files, so can't see problems there. Phone is in flight mode all the time and full charge lasts me all day with turning screen on only to check directions.
Chew

Post by Chew »

The Dakota is a bit of a forum favourite.
Decent screen size, battery life, price.

The Oregon is just its big brother. Bigger screen but a bit more hungry on batteries.

If you set a sleep timer for the display you can get a significant improvement in battery life.

If you can pick up the base unit cheap don't forget about the maps via iOffer
RayKickButts

Post by RayKickButts »

At least with the dakota and Oregon you can use AA batts, don't know why they didn't do this on the 810 that's killed it for me i don't want to carry small usb chargers

I don't need mapping as i have that and reading reviews the bundled version seems to be coming out with OS mapping that can be up to 5 years out of date! mad

Oregon looking fav at mo just based on screen size gonna go have a look at them over weekend and see which one i fancy
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Remember Ray, don't go buying a Garmin plus a Garmin sd mapping card. As Chew says buy your mapping card from iOffer ... it's a fraction of the cost Garmin want.
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Oregon user here

I use the Garmin 1:50k map for Southern England as that's how I got it, but I'd probably buy the ioffer ones if I was starting again

Bought it for walking but it's seen good use for biking