which GPS for bb200

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Karl

which GPS for bb200

Post by Karl »

Hi guys.

We have entered our first bb200 but don't have a GPS. I use traditional maps for our riding usually. Could people make suggestions and recommendations? Many thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Re: which GPS for bb200

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd suggest either the eTrex 20 or the Dakota 20 with an sd card from (I forget the name, someone remind me) ioffer?

Having had both I prefer the Dakota (touch screen) but I know others prefer the joystick on the eTrex.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

There's an etrex 20 with OS maps for £120 on STW. A mate just picked up an edge touring from Halfords for 170 that looks interesting, comes with OSM road/off road maps but you'd need an external battery to get 24+ hrs from it I expect.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Direct link to the maps from the vendor a lot of us have used:

http://www.ioffer.com/i/garmin-gb-disco ... -127349741

Oh, and invest in a pair of lithium AAs, not cheap but will last the whole event. Saves faffing.
greenmug

Post by greenmug »

I used the etrex20 for last year's BB200. It performed very well. Good quality re-chargeables last 20 hours so one change was required (2xAA). There are cheapo cards for sale with the UK 1:50 on them.

Which ever you get, consider how you will mount to the bike carefully. You'll want something that will not allow escape during the rocky downs. I use climbers elastic bungy over the stem which works really well and cost a £1.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I'm still trying to find out what processor's the garmin range use to make a more informed choice on how one might perform...not got anywhere with that yet :ugeek:

I am considering for the same purpose either an etrex (20 or 30) or one of the edge range (800 or touring).
composite

Post by composite »

I have an Edge 800. I have no complaints but it does a lot more than just the maps, such as all the training stuff (heart rate monitor/cadence etc.) which are useful to me but they might not be to you and in which case it's a bit expensive. It's not cheap anyway to be fair. The other thing is that because it can be powered via USB it means I can plug my dynamo into it and charge it while I ride. Of course again only useful if you have everything else to go with that set up.

If I was looking for purely mapping I would be looking at the ones that Stu mentioned, the eTrex 20 or the Dakota 20.
jpw247

Post by jpw247 »

Etrex 20 guy here. Its good enough for the bikes and rugged enough for hill walking/climbing.
I downloaded and use talkytoaster maps with mine and it is spot on. They don't have full OS detailing on the free versions but I haven't been lost yet. I use it for 100 milers at the weekend just fine. Word of warning though the stem holder is guff. I use a little velcro for a bit of extra bite.
Karl

Post by Karl »

It seems that for what I'm looking for the Dakota or Etrek is suitable. Everyone has suggested garmins upto now, think that's probably for a reason. I have been looking around and noticed no one has mentioned the Oregon range, any reasons?

Thanks for the link to ioffer, johnnystorm. They've got some good prices for the mapping haven't they.
sillybigfella

Post by sillybigfella »

I have an etrex 20 and find that when switching from the distance/time screen to the map screen, the map takes an age to load the track/route again (5-10 minutes).

Anyone else find this?
I’ve been abart a bit
Chew

Post by Chew »

KBRPro wrote: no one has mentioned the Oregon range, any reasons?
I believe they are very similar to the Dakota just a bigger screen and a bit more hungry for batteries.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I went for the Oregon for the bigger screen, easier to glance at whilst on the move.

As chew says slightly hungrier for batteries. About 17/18 hours on a pair of lithium AA's.

Better mount/gps interface though. Never had mine bounce off in 4 years but heard of a dozen or so Dakota's going walkies on the rough ground.
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

Garmin 800 is good. You can get good second d hand deals and get uk 1:25k ad cards from the state's for buttons.

Battery life is good, but pair mine to a dynamo hub for adventures.

Smaller screen but you can set up alerts for course changes which are very useful!
Ian

Post by Ian »

sillybigfella wrote:I have an etrex 20 and find that when switching from the distance/time screen to the map screen, the map takes an age to load the track/route again (5-10 minutes).

Anyone else find this?
I get a lag of up to a minute sometimes (Etrex 30). The delay seems to be proportionate to the amount of track loaded at the time and the amount of panning around I've done on the map screen. Think it might be a cache issue.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Thanks for all the info. I've order a Dakota 20 and ordered full UK mapping from ioffer. I'll let you know how I get on. Just need to find a good handlebar mount......any suggestions?
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

I'm happy with my Dak 20. £3 eBay mount on each of my bikes, which is same as the branded one. Never had an accidental release although always have a lanyard too