Shimano xt Brakes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

welshwhit

Shimano xt Brakes

Post by welshwhit »

Hi all,

Just got soem new brakes and as I think about fitting them, I'm sure that the hoses will need a bit of a trim. I've read that these are just a case of measure, cut, new olives and re affix everything and your done.

Is this true? Is it really that simple, or should I wait to have the bleed kit before I trim away at the hose!?

Thanks folks

Drew
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Shimano xt Brakes

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you trim them from the MC end and don't touch the lever while the line's off you should get away without bleeding. I assume these are the same as other Shimano brakes and require a new insert not just a new olive?
May the bridges you burn light your way
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

Cheers Stuart, yep new insert is needed, but the brakes came with the olive and insert in the block and some yellow block I'm assuming are for holding the cable while fettling.

Whats best to cut the cable with, I was going with a nice sharp knife.

Also, ( :oops: ), MC, is that the end nearest the lever, thats what I planned to cut anyway....

Drew
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Here's a step by step guide from Epic Bleed Solutions I followed which makes it nice and clear, though you don't need to take the lever off the bars - just make sure they are horizontal. Be real careful when to get the hose barb straight when knocking it into the cable and then even more careful when tightening the cable back into the lever. Ive done this a few times and only needed to bleed them once when I managed to let half of the fluid leak out of the cable because I needed a cup of tea. You're going to need a bleed kit at some stage though, so might as well get one, and I can recommend the Epic kits over the Shimano one.

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/blog/ ... -bleeding/
I'm just going outside ...
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I've had a 75% success rate.
3/4 brakes were fine with no extra fluid needed the other just needed a top up and was fine.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Drew,
PM me your address and I'll loan you a bleed kit and hose cutter if you want. Just post it back once you're done.
Mark
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
jBay

Post by jBay »

Don't depress the lever with the pads out/without a block - the pistons fall out and all the fluid.

I've done one without issue and on needing a bleed 3/4 would be a fair estimate.
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

Thanks for the replies folks and thanks for a great and generous offer from Mark!

I've sent you a PM

Drew
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW, on every bike I build in the shop, I have to swap the brakes around (they come "Euro"). With the Shimanos, it's normally a case of simply disconnecting each hose at the lever end and carefully re-fitting it. I've not yet had to do a bleed afterwards.
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

That's promising to hear!

There calipers are on the bike and look nice, and I've taped up the hoses ready for the cut so to speak!

I keep on getting the fear that I've measured wrong so get up and go and turn the bars to check!

Hopefully I'll get it right!

Drew
vorlich

Post by vorlich »

I've just done this, I initially thought I'd got away with it. But on upending the bike to put it back into the shed the lever pulled back to the bar. I just pumped the lever a bit and it firmed back up, I rode 100+km like that at the weekend and it was ok with regular lever pumping. I bled it once home, bodged without the Shimano funnel, just a syringe and tube onto the caliper to top up and expel the air. Seems fine now.
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

Well they are on the bike!

Front seems rock solid and very quick to come to the bite, rear may have a small bubble, but saying that, it still feels like it has more bite than the avids I swapped!

Out for a trail tomorrow!

Drew