What back up frame?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

gecko76

What back up frame?

Post by gecko76 »

The bamboo bike is in bits, or more accurately something like the hundred thousand rivets flying in close formation that was the Avro Shackleton. Long story short, the bottom bracket junction has had to be completely stripped and while I'm reasonably confident I can build it up again in time for the Ride To The Sun at the end of June, there's a chance it might not make it.
In the event of having to swap parts over it's QR front and rear (though I've got a set of Pro 2 wheels with the necessary end caps to run something else) and straight steerer. I'll probably see what the Bike Station in Edinburgh have, but what would be a safe off the shelf number to have just in case? The Planet X Tempest is tempting at £599 but ideally I only want to spend a fraction of that.
Last edited by gecko76 on Tue May 14, 2024 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Re: What back up frame?

Post by fatbikephil »

I'd always recommend a Surly Straggler frame but new they are now too spendy really. If you can get a good priced 2nd hand one they will do what you ask with a minimum of fuss.

Or a pinnacle? Genesis Croix de fer?
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Good shouts all. Used to have a Genesis Day Zero as a commuter that was a lovely ride, if/because a bit flexy.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

That's some serious engineering you have going on right there... I'm gonna send a pic to my buddy who's just finishing his level 3 in joinery :lol:
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Crude but effective, with luck. It was fine for ages, until the cf tube de-bonded from the bamboo socket that was the remains of the cracked down tube, resulting in flex while pedalling. I reckon it'll polish out with a combination of epoxy and fibrefix (now fiberweld).
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

New frame hopefully not needed. Will find out for sure tomorrow.

After stripping it all back, epoxy-ed in a section of broom handle to fill in the gap.
Added some epoxy filler to smooth the transitions.
Wrapped with a couple of lengths of Fibreweld and some old Fibrefix.
Sanded it back.
...and took it for a ride.

The Fibreweld stuff is white and comes in a foil pouch covered in gunk, unlike the black Fibrefix. Both get dunked in water and then wrap quite easily. Bind them with bandage supplied or electrical tape for 5-7 minutes to compress. All good.

Proper shakedown ride due tomorrow but assuming all is well will strip the frame again for re-oiling and painting. Feels good to have it back together though.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

After stripping it all back, epoxy-ed in a section of broom handle to fill in the gap.
Yes we have all done that :shock: :grin:

Will look out for yiu at rtts... Doing the double again. ( assuming weather plays along as wind nearly killed me last year)
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Quick ten miles before breakfast on tracks rough enough to indicate any problems and all good, apart from a slight dull clicking but I think that's the non drive side bottom bracket bearing, which was feeling rough. New one on order and fingers crossed all will be well.