Missing the point?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JackT

Re: Missing the point?

Post by JackT »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:59 am Tangentially to the tangent, having a GPX doesn't stop adventure when the marked bridleway doesn't exist on the ground across a field of tussocks and there's a forest plantation with no visible paths across the only logical place for the bridleway to go.
Is adventure the same as awkwardness? It’s a component - as per the Cranes definition I posted upthread - but it’s not the whole story, in my opinion. Especially so, again in my opinion, if it’s someone else’s GPX track. There’s an autonomy component to adventure that I think is quite important. Is it an adventure if you hire a guide to accompany you and show you the way? I dunno. I can think of circumstances where I’d say no and where I’d say yes. It’s all very hard to pin down because so much is subjective.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Quite alot of nostalgia going on here anyway for " how it used to be "
Maps, which I can use obvs ( as i am also an old man), are sinply a less practical *way of knowing your surroundings in the same way as carrying a full set of encoypledias is less practical than having an internet connected phone. Its just differemt ways to accomplish the same task.
I still think what you called hyperbole(often guilty to be fair) stand reg.. a gpx alone does not mean its not an adventure( as jack t has explained ) it just means you probably wont get lost

* my one is albulms v cd v digital. Still very much anaologue there

I don’t know myself if riding around King Alfred’s Way following the GPX would satisfy my own idea of an adventure, though I see that if you’d never been for a multi day bike ride it could well do.
Essentially it means different things to different people but at some point its just marketting BS ( we may draw it in a slightly different place)
psling

Post by psling »

With impeccable timing, The National Trust (of which I, being of a certain age, am a member) is in the process of releasing their 'Grand Adventure Map' - "a full-size*, double-sided and beautifully illustrated map of every National Trust and National Trust for Scotland location, brought together in one place for the first time".

Quite the adventure :???: :wink:

* "full-size"? Now that is going to be one big map....
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

"an unusual and exciting or daring experience."

Just like bikepacking became a synonym for touring in the bicycle industry, has adventure just become a synonym for an unusual experience or maybe even just getting out of your comfort zone?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:59 am [...]having a GPX doesn't stop adventure [...]
Very true. I love maps. Much more than staring at the purple line on the small screen, yet the GPS device is oh so much more practical, I always give in when bike riding (bit different when on foot - where the GPS is more of a back up to maps and compass). It's only on bigger trips (more remote, more adventure, longer) where I sit in the tent looking at maps to get a feel for the next day.

But... using maps always gives me a much better sense of where I actually am then the GPS device does.
For me, during cycling, I feel it swings the other way round then it seems to do for some other folks.
Itchynuts

Post by Itchynuts »

The GPX/digital vs Paper map discussion seems to be generating lots of views I have never considered. I have a bit of a map fettish so spend a lot of time looking at paper and digital maps and planning routes.

In the olden days, before GPS and digital maps I used paper maps like everybody else. I followed dotted lines printed on a map. After a few disintegrated in the rain and blew away I started scanning the maps (we had a good A3 scanner in work) then drawing my intended route on my printed copy and laminating it.

I was still following a line on a paper map but this time I had drawn it but still following printed tracks.
Then software appeared which enabled me to use my scanned maps on a device with a built in GPS. (A Google Nexus 7 in my case which is an ancient machine now but way better than a phone or Garmin device because of the 7" screen. They are still available second hand which is good because I break them every so often. The current one cost me £40)

My point (at last) is I'm still following a line I have drawn on a map. Now it is on a screen rather than paper and the only other difference I can think of is it has an arrow showing my position. That does make life easier but I knew where I was on the paper map too so not much difference overall. I find the experience just as immersive now as I did then.

Perhaps the problem is the maps themselves. When out and about I only use OS maps but I know many people use OSM based maps and Garmin topo maps which I can aso use but don't because the level of detail shown on the OS maps is so good.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Perhaps I should've added that I don't bother with (and/or can't get) good digital maps for my garmin and also prefer to travel in places where even half decent paper maps are inexistant.
Yet, even self made A3 or A2 format maps are more immersive and help me give a feel for my sorroundings and beyond.

Anyways, off now to go follow a purple line on my GPS' little screen. Ta-ra
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

There's no adventure in cycling anymore.
I'm taking up 'Wild Swimming'
See thee
:wink: