Zip Theory

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rasta

Zip Theory

Post by Rasta »

I've got a Six Moons Design Lunar Solo.

It has had plenty of use. And has 2 issues.
The floor has become porous. All of it, even the areas I have never slept on. Maybe poor material or breakdown from soil?

But my question is on the zips. These are marked YKK. These days they fail to close properly after a few nights use. A big problem when you are camping in areas with scorpions and finger eating camel spiders.

I have tried squeezing the zipper pull 'throats' closer together with pliers, which works for a few nights. But the teeth seem to be under a lot of tension, so I assume these will wear out.
I have also noticed that only the back 'throat' needs compressing. Front doesn't do much.

I don't want to lubricate the teeth as I camp in sand a lot. And I don't want to carry pliers.

Any zip experts out there with some tricks n tips? :geek:
benconnolli

Re: Zip Theory

Post by benconnolli »

Wouldn't call myself an expert, but sounds like the desert camping could slowly abrade the floor, making it pourous?

Regarding the zip, my understanding is that once metal is bent beyond it's elastic limit it's kinda done for. Any repairs would be short lived. Looking at the design, should be distinctly possible to replace the zip.

If replacement is out of your skillset, you should be able to go to any tailor, usually twinned with those places people take their dry cleaning? I'd say should be a £15 job, plus the zip which you could provide from the link for €3 plus postage? For zips, higher numbers mean chunkier teeth. Looks to be a 1m ISH? zip so 9g difference between the ultralight and lighter. There's equally an option for even heavier weight zip, but as always, everything is a compromise.

https://www.adventurexpert.com/product/ ... the-meter/

*Edit just browsed their zip selection and there's a dyneema option in the moulded zips for €7/mt. Claims to be massively more hard-wearing, and applied in high stress places. I believe all these claims from my experience of dyneema, so could well be worthwhile for your use case?
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

Thanks Ben.

I'm sure the sand and all the thorns have played a part in the floor being porous, but it is also the areas of the floor 50% that have never been used.

Thanks for the link. As the teeth still join, I may just start with replacing the zip puller. These tents are getting expensive, so maybe worth saving. But it does make my 2 Hillebergs look cheap when longevity comes into it.

:-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I know you said you don't want to lubricate.... I use a silicon and PTFE maintenance spray on mine, I'm not aware it attracts dust (not much sand where I am) and it leaves the surface non-stick because of the PTFE.

I have to use this on brand new waterproof zips to get them to operate. It makes a huge difference to the force required to operate even a normal zip.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

I was thinking the old trick with a candle. Which I tried.
Will give it ago. Anything that will save having to replace the zip. :-bd