Bivvy - breathing - keeping down dry!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Bivvy - breathing - keeping down dry!

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi all. Just wondered dif anyone could pinpoint what could be done differently regards keeping the kit dry(ish).

So on the Dec Winter BAM - ride to London - in the ice/cold/wet we stopped to bivy outside a tall building. It was still raining and upto this point I think/thought my trousers and top half were still dry. Socks were sodden.

So we stopped. I did'nt take a tarp/tent as we were fastpacking and when road riding I find that stopping somewhere that a tarp can be secured would also be very muddy/mucky. Hence I only took the bivy bag (yes, finally bought another Hunka XL as I needed something sealed/safer that the Black Diamond I have [thanks lovely person that gifted it me, may Allah give you the best in return]).

It was still raining as we set up camp. So I got the bivy bag out and allowed the PHD/down bag to loft inside it. Being careful to try to keep it all dry inside. Removed my sodden socks and the hardshells - top and bottom. Jumped in the bag after putting on the criterion light down jacket to boost warmth.

It was a bit of a struggle keeping the water out at the same time as breathing out, so as not to add condensate inside the bag. Got about an hours sleep in those conditons for which I thanked God and was still warm inside the bag at about 2c or maybe 0c. It was still raining so I assumed it's higher than 0.

Got out the bag and packed up as quickly as possible, but I really didn't think my down bag was dry enough to risk another night out. Down jacket still felt warm and dry(ish) so I popped on my socks and quickly the hardhsells and we were off. Issue is that both Hunkas were totally sodden through. Took about a few hours of hanging, inside and out, when I got home to dry em out.

Could that have been my breathing into the bag, or would it have just been the rain finding itself in. Or was it my clothes being more damp than I'd realised.

Any hints or tips (without carrying a tent, which I suppose I will if there no other options to keep the down dry). Or should I just take the Mountain Ghost (Primaloft, Alpkit, 2 seasons) for January bivy as it'll at least work better when wet :smile:

Sorry for asking/doing stupid questions/things.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bivvy - breathing - keeping down dry!

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Everything was against you there Shaf. As you say, getting into a bivvy with even slightly damp clothes will produce lots of condensation, combine that with rain and you likely did well to get away with what you did.

I've found the Hunka generally breathes very well. The only thing I've found better is a full eVent bag but they're generally spendy and heavy.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Thanks Stu. That fills me with confidence (that I know how to keep fairly winter-safe). Only ended up stopping really cos it had been 13 hours of slog and the fog came in. Waiting much longer might have ended up becoming morning and then nowhere to openly bivy.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Ditch the down and go fibre-pile :-bd
Buffalo Bags: the future is fluffy.

You just might need a trailer to carry it, though :shock:

I've also rediscovered the joy of wellies, for when it's really hammering it down. :grin:
May you always have tail wind.
redefined_cycles

MP, I was wearing my (new) Goretex huking boots. Worked well for around 10 hours, byt then it seems the cold attacked the membrane and in the water swelled.

Bufallo bag, might well need a trailer :lol: I'm trying to go light and far man :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Quote from Ronald Farmers 'Book of the bivvy' - what happens when it rains? you get wet!
As per what Stu said you did well there with kudos for not ending up in a freezing sodden mass.

Only real solution to that scenario is a flat tarp... (or a shed)
BridlewayBimbler

Post by BridlewayBimbler »

I'm no expert so feel free to disregard.
I have an Alpkit down quilt on top of a synthetic bag-Coccon Mountain Wanderer- this is essentially a really light, but warm liner-
I then stick all that in an Alpkit Hunka bivvy.
Seems OK-ish, but as others have said you'll always end up damp from rain or sweat! :/