Pinion Gearbox???

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Itchynuts

Re: Pinion Gearbox???

Post by Itchynuts »

I'm referring to the ebike drive motor. When I first heard about the Pinion motor/gearbox I couldn't find any mention of a motor manufacturer which would make me a bit wary until there are a number of them in the wild.

I haven't looked for a while though so perhaps details are available now.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

fatbikerbill wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:17 pm Anyone know if the frame mounting of the smart.shift unit is the same as the 'old' ones?
Speaking to Alpkit just.... The Broken Road Pinion with Smart Shift is some way off as they think the gearbox may be slightly different, so a redesign, testing, fine tuning and production could be a while.
I think I'm going to wait as I'd be gutted to buy a bike then find the smartshift gearbox didn't fit it.
I just wonder where they'll house the battery....on the under slung bottle mount is probably the easiest option.

We'll see.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Latest update on the Smartshift..... from the Alpkit designer...

"I have just had the first draft of a compatible frame drawings through from our factory today, they’re not 100% so I’ve gone back with revisions. The Smart shift system adds £550 to the cost of the pinion system. "

Now I have to decide it that's a worthwhile £550 .... especially as when I originally asked, there was a sale on and therefore £400 off the bike ...
I've had a brief ride on a twist grip Rohloff and it made my wrist ache.... not sure how this twist grip compares.