Anyone else not carry a phone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Anyone else not carry a phone?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I very rarely carry a mobile when I'm riding, I imagine that's because I don't carry one at any other time either. It's never caused me any issues, I've not died, been eaten by Welsh canibals or fallen off a cliff face because I haven't had a phone* :wink:

Anyone else not have one / doesn't bother or in this day and age am I completely alone?

*yet
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Re: Anyone else not carry a phone?

Post by johnnystorm »

I'm afraid I'm the complete opposite and take mine everywhere. It's not a 'safety in the hills' thing, it just never leaves my side regardless.

I should add that the last thing I ever do with it is ring anyone. :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm afraid I'm the complete opposite and take mine everywhere. It's not a 'safety in the hills' thing, it just never leaves my side regardless.
Out of interest Nigel, what's the reason(s) you always have it with you?
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I always carry my phone, but it is not turned on, I carry it because it might get me out of some sort of muddle,
and it gives me another option.
It has been known for me to call for my support vehicle when a mechanical has proved unfixable by the
side of the road :wink:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

I always have my phone with me, but then again, I am a 16 year old so its kinda to be expected :P
Chew

Post by Chew »

I generally dont bother. One of the main reasons i go on a trip is to get away from it all, so having the piece and quiet of the phone not ringing is rather nice. For larger trips i'll often take a cheapie phone to be left switched off except for emergencies (i'd probably kick myself if i left it at home on purpose and did end up needing help)

I'm sure most of us remember the time before mobiles and we all coped then.
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

Whilst i have not been out anywhere near as much as most people on here, i always carry a phone with me. However, it is only because my missus makes me take it. I have a cheap Nokia pay as you go phone and it means i can phone home and keep her mind at ease.

She still seems to think i am going to get eaten by a pack of wolves, or some mad axe muderer is likely to stumble across my location! :lol:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

s8tannorm wrote:
Out of interest Nigel, what's the reason(s) you always have it with you?
Taking pictures & google maps/mapping on a ride. Any other time I'd be petrified that something happened on the web and I missed it. ;)
Solo

Post by Solo »

I do take a phone but it depends which one!

I have my normal phone with me for general rides (both on or offroad), however I do have an old phone that has a PAYG sim in which only my wife, kids and father have the number of and that is what I take when out for a 'get away' / 'clear the head' disappearing ride!!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Always but rarely use it (Orange actually lowered my tariff even though I was only six months in on a twenty four month contract) and it keeps the wife happy when i'm in the hills. Also since buying my first phone I've never had to own a watch.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Also since buying my first phone I've never had to own a watch.
I don't have one of those either :wink:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I always carry my phone on me, but it's always on silent (as it is everyday to be fair). Started carrying as an emergency thing but now carry it mainly for the camera and Google maps had proved useful in the past to seek out cheeky trails :grin:
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

s8tannorm wrote:
Also since buying my first phone I've never had to own a watch.
I don't have one of those either :wink:
For me a watch is essential, I feel bare without mine, so much easier to see while riding than a phone :D
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For me a watch is essential, I feel bare without mine, so much easier to see while riding than a phone :D
When you're not sure what day of the week it is, knowing the time somehow seems less important :wink:
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I tend to carry one but usually in airplane mode to save battery or turned off. When I remember I turn the 'Ride ID' app on and then into airplane mode. If I have an accident then the front page of my phone has two contact numbers which can be dialled directly. It is safety really and hope I never need it.
greenmug

Post by greenmug »

My phone (iphone) has OS maps for the UK on it with a good GPS. A lot of places I ride doesn't have signal so I don't have expectations of being able to use. So to precise, I take a mini computer that in certain places alows me send txt messages.

I don't feel disturbed by being able to be in touch whilst out and about. I can choose when to use it. Besides nobody phones me anyway <sobs>
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

A few years back I was out running, got back to my car, and set off...
After going round a bend I was horrified to see a motorcyclist who had slid (we found later a piece of metal on the bend) on a bend and came off the bike sliding into the ditch, and colliding with a telegraph pole...
I stopped the car and ran over to him, he was conscious but had injured his legs - I was talking to him and working out how to get the motorbike off him... without doing any further damage, when another car stopped and the young guy had a mobile, so we were able to call an ambulance and I could talk them into exactly where we were.

I decided after that I should get a mobile !

But I agree with Stu's general drift that we can't even have a crap without the mobile being there to 'comfort' us !
jameso

Post by jameso »

Agreed, we did ok for years without them so why bother now? Too 'what ifs' and worries stop us doing things.
I sometimes have one (need to be back at a certain time, or should really be working and may get a call needing shelter from wind noise before answering), sometimes leave it at home. Really don't like to hear a ringing phone mid-trail so it's usually turned off if I have it.

No watch either.. luddites unites
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No watch either.. luddites unites
Oddly, not having a watch seems to have led me to develop a really good sense of what time it is ... usually good to within 15 minutes or so.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Yup, same here, unless I need an excuse for being late!
Eoghan

Post by Eoghan »

Use mine for camera and grid reference app.
Bigface0_0

Post by Bigface0_0 »

I always take a phone, couple of reasons.
1, Iphone takes a great picture
2, Just incase I need a recovery car
3, Im not proud, I LOVE it and unless I have it with me makes me feel like Ive forgotten my extra arm... LOL
BIKE RACING IS LIKE HAVING A MULLET, BUSINESS UP THE FRONT, PARTY IN THE BACK…!!!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I always take a phone - but then I almost always travel alone too. It's not much more than an affectation not to take one these days.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I very recently joined the 21st century by getting one of those portable phone thingies.

Since then I definitely feel like I'm not on as much of an adventure as I can just call for help if something goes wrong - where's the fun in that?

I've never been a watch kinda guy either and look to my biking for an bit of escape and freedom from time watching and responsibilities.

Not that I don't enjoy the positives of a modern phone on a ride (music, great camera, route recording, instant access to t'interweb etc...) but it detracts from the pureness of my wild time a little.

I suppose being phone/gadget free is similar to enjoying the simplicity of riding SS. Some people love it, others don't get it but it's definitely a different experience to regular riding.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not that I don't enjoy the positives of a modern phone on a ride (music, great camera, route recording, instant access to t'interweb etc...) but it detracts from the pureness of my wild time a little.
Although I don't usually take a phone I will sometimes take my ipod touch which gives me camera, music, kindle books, audio books, off-line OS maps, etc, etc. Perhaps living somewhere where a phone is useless 90% of the time has some bearing on choices.