Online sharing platform

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Online sharing platform

Post by voodoo_simon »

Is there a (free) online site for sharing sections of routes?

A few friends ask where I ride or where a certain section is but I don’t do Strava and I don’t fancy entering into the worlds of sharing all my rides either, but something that could highlight a section would be perfect

Cheers
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Online sharing platform

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Could you not just send them a gpx file via email? I'll grant you, it's a bit old school but pretty much fool-proof.
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

You can share routes on Komoot without having a paid account - I’ve only ever used it to plan and/or swap routes with friends, I’ve never recorded a ride. You can also upload a gpx as a route, edit it to suit and then share it with only specific people
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Thanks both, was hoping there would be something like Strava that I could highlight sections rather than map out a full ride.

Might go with the Komoot option and just send them some A-B rides rather than full rides (trouble is I rarely record all my rides or plan them as it’s all in my noggin for local stuff)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Get yourself over to bikehike Simon and route those sections that people ask about. Save as gps tracks and email out when folk inquire.
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:50 am Get yourself over to bikehike Simon and route those sections that people ask about. Save as gps tracks and email out when folk inquire.
Good thinking, that will work :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:46 am Thanks both, was hoping there would be something like Strava that I could highlight sections rather than map out a full ride.

Might go with the Komoot option and just send them some A-B rides rather than full rides (trouble is I rarely record all my rides or plan them as it’s all in my noggin for local stuff)
Ride with GPS is useful (upload a GPS file, edit, reload etc) but sectioning and saving a part of a ride as a new route file may be a membership feature rather than free. It's worthwhile though, a useful pure gox file tool with the only real drawback being lack of an Ordnance Survey layer.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

The main problem i've had with RWGPS is that it really seems to prefer the road when auto-routing and I couldn't find a way to tweak the settings.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Once again, thanks. I’ll have a look at those options :-bd
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

You could use strava, sorry, but set your default ride permission to private.

That way all rides are automatically private.

Then when you want to share a specific ride or route change the permissions on just that one.

In the unlikely event you do take up strava there is a privacy setting that sets the start and end of every ride as invisible even to followers. Very sensible and highly recommended.