Dashed green line or other (route mapping Q?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Dashed green line or other (route mapping Q?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sorry, I know I might have asked a similar Q before and I think Bob explained a few things. Seems like this is happening to me more and more regularly..

To make my route along the bridleway I would need to manually manipulate it by making lots and lots of dots in the planning app. If I convert to the open-route (sorry, I forget the name) there's no track along the bridleway and it goes across the black dashed line (other route) only.

What would you lot do :smile:

Danka
RIP

Re: Dashed green line or other (route mapping Q?

Post by RIP »

Just stick to the bridleway on the day...

.... or abandon the whole plan completely and go somewhere else :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Just to mention/add.. I do usually go with the bridleway only and ignore 'other'. But then maybe that might explain how I often get caught in 'oh my word, will I make it out of this path' type, waiste height tussocks. Not nice (for some :grin: apologies to most that enjoy that sort of ride :lol: ).
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:07 pm Just stick to the bridleway on the day...

.... or abandon the whole plan completely and go somewhere else :grin:
I would. But now Jon has mentioned South of Southport and that Karl is talking. He rarely talks when you go out riding with him, so maybe I'll get chance to hear a few blurbs! Hoping to ride it across (legally).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm not sure I understand the question but .... The black dashes beneath the green simply indicate that there is something physical on the ground. Green without black merely indicate a RoW exists but is no indication as to whether it's passable.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Is the problem that the routing software snaps to the black dotted track, and doesn't follow where the bridleway is/should be? I wouldn't worry about it overly, just head along there and take the obvious track on the ground.
redefined_cycles

Anytoad... I got this far but can't seem to find much more tracks!
Wonder if this will show https://www.outdooractive.com/en/r/2671 ... al-content
redefined_cycles

I'm not sure I understand the question but .... The black dashes beneath the green simply indicate that there is something physical on the ground. Green without black merely indicate a RoW exists but is no indication as to whether it's passable.
That's the best explanation I've ever seen that I actually understood. Thanks kindly and yes, you've answer my question...
redefined_cycles

Is the problem that the routing software snaps to the black dotted track, and doesn't follow where the bridleway is/should be? I wouldn't worry about it overly, just head along there and take the obvious track on the ground.
Not exactly Bear Sir... More that, "should I unsnap to follow the actual bridleway". But Stus explanation will hopefully sit well in my head for the coming few years and I'll unsnap from the routing software but see how I get on on/in the ground. If I meet an angry farmer I'll just show him my OS... Or not and run from the angry dog (not referring to the farmer as an angry dog btw).
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

You try to do this all off road ?

You dont want to end up on Haslingden Grane - the Grane road is awful , there are few BW and its pretty muddy [ unless someone knows better than me- as not massively familiar due to the above]
Try to get to ramsbottom and i can route you from there[ legal will be longer than cheeky but its all double track that should be BW anyway and no one will complain.

There are no BW on the flat lands after Rivvy or Haigh hall - if fully committed you can get pretty close using the canal but its adding probably 25 miles to your route v road to just meander and stay off road. Probably hook up on to TPT[ trans Pennine trail] to get all the way off road - again adding a fair amount of miles. I am a about 25 miles from southport and would not try to get there off road. Probably take 50 mile , have 50 foot of climbing and pretty much be all canal.
YMMV
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

As for the first map image. That climb is all paved and cobbled until you get up high. Navigation is not an issue.

Personally I'd follow pbw to cragg quarry, drop down to Edenfield. Head over to Edgworth, then on to winter hill.

For me I'd then do the canal to as close as possible.
Living near Entwistle I have done both. I'll dig out the rides tomorrow.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Phil and Jon. Yes, I don't wanna make it all off road just to add much miles to the ride. Look forward to what you dig out Phil and taking consideration of what Jon said, I'll have another go 😊
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

From where that route ends you can go south up moor road to Rams bottom, or head north up kings Highway

Grane is a death trap

Possible cheeky through the quarry south of the reservoirs,
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

I'm confused about talk of Ramsbottom and the grane road. But yes do avoid the grane road.

That first screenshot is nowhere near Ramsbottom. It is at SE 02676 12145, near Marsden.

I have these 2 routes. The first gets you from Dunford Bridge via Marsden https://www.strava.com/routes/3094336783536815550 — DunfordBridge to entwistle
Ignore the daft loop near Edenfield. I could not get the routing to snap.

This second I use to get from Entwistle to Formby. https://www.strava.com/routes/3094041769177060444 — To Formby, cold February bivvy

Both are predominantly off road, but both are great routes
redefined_cycles

Yes, Grane Road is probably the one that always has me stumped routing west across those sections... I use it all the time to work (in car) and they've reduced the speed limit right down to 40 on most/all of it. Extra cameras been put up aswell...

Thanks all...