Suggest some 29er rims

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Suggest some 29er rims

Post by redefined_cycles »

I think I might have some money in the bank soon so may be a good idea to grab myself some decent rims to add to the Santa Cruz (and build one more part into it :-bd 3 years in). Don't want something heavy but not too expensive either.

Maybe 500g or less. Can't afford carbon and not sure about the DT Swiss 511 (looks :grin: ). Internal width of about 35mm. 28h or 32h. Will be married up to some boost DT Swiss hubs of the 650b 1700 wheelset I bought off Colin many years ago (before the Alpshit broke on me and they refused to warrant the pile of crap).

Sorry for the Alpshit hate. Am sure they're lovely to most people :-bd

Been thinking about the Carbon Bike Co options but probably couldn't stretch to £300 per rim :o Happy to spend about £70 per rim for the right rims...
fatbikephil

Re: Suggest some 29er rims

Post by fatbikephil »

In no particular order...
WTB Koms seem good - a development of the scrapers which were also good
Bonty Line comps (as per Frogatthefarriers discussion a wee while back) I've got them on the lowside and they seem alright, plus nice and wide. Triton cycles do them
Halo vapours or ridgeline - from Triton also.
If you do splash out on carbon, light bicycle are still good value and are back to offering an all inclusive courier package so you don't have to worry about import dues etc.
redefined_cycles

Thanks for the suggestions and shops Phil.
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

I don’t profess to knowing lots about rims but when I did some research before getting my dyno wheel built up, Kinlins seemed to be well thought of and offered a good compromise of weight, reliability and price. I’ve am certainly pleased with my choice 😀

FYI 2 weeks before I left for my attempt at the Spanish Divide, I found out that my rear Alpkit Hobo 29” rim was cracking in several different places 🙁 (2nd hand and not in warranty) Having said that, I am really enjoying riding the Sonder Frontier and like their hunka bivvy bag.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Teaman. Yes, Kinlin are excellent workmanship. I've built a couple of them now and no complaints whatsoever (the wide mtb has taken all sorts thrown at it and I built with the lightest Sapim spokes available in 28H flavour).

Well... One slight complaint, very so slightly bland looking :grin: Hence the research into what to go for next. Wheelset will be up for grabs soon enough (but in 650b and a carbon rear rim).
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Kinlin TL-29 are serving me well. Not silly heavy, built up fine, relatively affordable. Also available branded as Halo for a few £££ more (and I'm pretty sure they're what Hunt use for their "Trail Wide" wheels).

29mm internal width has been great with tyres in the 2.4-2.6" range - you'll not be running more than that will you? 35mm internal may be overkill.
redefined_cycles

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:07 pm Kinlin TL-29 are serving me well. Not silly heavy, built up fine, relatively affordable. Also available branded as Halo for a few £££ more (and I'm pretty sure they're what Hunt use for their "Trail Wide" wheels).

29mm internal width has been great with tyres in the 2.4-2.6" range - you'll not be running more than that will you? 35mm internal may be overkill.
You're right, yes... 35mm might just be a bit much as the bike is only authorized for a 2.4 tyre width (so might push to a 2.5 or 2.6). Might have to consider another Kinlin then. Thanks Bearlegged :grin:
substandard

Post by substandard »

I’ve still got a set of halo vapour 35s laced to tube King Kong hubs in the to sell pile.

They are non boost but could include the spacers to fit boost if you need them.

Let me know if of interest
redefined_cycles

Thanks foe that SS. Probably a bit beyond my budget (and well beyond my poshness scale :lol: ) but thanks. Tube King Kong hubs. They must be the Swiss equivalent of Tune :grin:

I think Alan has me sorted for now with his posh (but not as posh as Tune) Bontragers. Just need to figure out so boost adaptors for a rear DT swiss hub (I assume it's a 350).
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I use pacenti dl31 seem to be Ok despite my hamfisted wheel building and crashing down rocky tracks
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Raceface ARC. Best alloy rims I've used in the last... dunno... many, many years.
The only alloy wheels I have which don't require regular trueing.

Good carbon rims can be had for about 180.- £ a piece (including shipment/taxes).
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

28h or 32h. Will be married up to some boost DT Swiss hubs of the 650b 1700 wheelset I bought off Colin many years ago
But are the hubs 28 or 32....?
ton

Post by ton »

belts and braces approach here. Alesa Sputnik Andra 40. possibly the toughest rim available.
replace a pair of Halo vapour 35, which were ok, but the rear one split the whole circumference round, so went for strength over less weight.
redefined_cycles

28h or 32h. Will be married up to some boost DT Swiss hubs of the 650b 1700 wheelset I bought off Colin many years ago
But are the hubs 28 or 32....?
Haha, yes. How silly of me. Maybe I meant I have both options of hub availabe... Anyroad, I managed to get sorted from Escape Ewe. Got his carbon Bontrager wheels off of him where the rear has already been replaced with a DT hub.

Just need to find a good qual adaptor to convert a rear 350 hub into boost. There's an option available off ebay but no branding specified as such...