Does anyone sell a mtb bar for converting drop bar to flat bar? - adding reach

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

substandard

Does anyone sell a mtb bar for converting drop bar to flat bar? - adding reach

Post by substandard »

I know many frames have an 'in between' top tube/reach setup in geometry to facilitate being able to run flat or drops with a bit of stem length change here or there.

However, on a frame specifically designed for drops (and used with a 90mm stem), im looking for an MTB riser bar that sweeps forward either side of the stem but doesnt then sweep back beyond the clamping centre line when viewed from above.

I'm trying to find a bar that adds 40mm of reach without having to run a 130-140mm stem, does such a weapon exist?

Bars like ritchey Koyote etc all sweep back at such an agressive angle that by the time youve reached the grips, youre back in line /or behind the stem mounting centreline. I want a Koyote with like 8-10 degree of backsweep rather than 27.5 or whatever it is!
PaulE

Re: Does anyone sell a mtb bar for converting drop bar to flat bar? - adding reach

Post by PaulE »

Probably a silly question, but have you tried the Richey? I was going to recommend the Richey koyote bar, as I find I need a noticably shorter stem with those than any other bar I've tried and definitely make the bike feel longer.
ton

Re: Does anyone sell a mtb bar for converting drop bar to flat bar? - adding reach

Post by ton »

or if you are feeling flush. soma odin.

https://www.somafab.com/archives/produc ... -handlebar
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

What's putting you off just running a long stem?
substandard

Post by substandard »

Not having a 31.8mm clamp 130-140mm stem readily available, plus not having a normal mtb bar spare that I’m happy with so on the hunt for a bar anyway.

I have tried a koyote before but not on this bike,
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I have a 150 roadie stem, poss a 130 as well. Any use? Probs got some flat bars too.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Possibly not helpful, but my Q is why you'd want the reach of a generally lower, more aero drop bar with a more elbows in position replicated with a flat bar that is less aero and more suited to off-road use. Your arms will be in a different position and the handling bias of the bike will be different, both work well with a shorter bar reach. A fair answer is 'why not?' : ) and I'm guessing you tried a shorter stem already but if not, might be worth it. I've never been convinced by this idea that frames are flat or drop-specific. eg the way road bikes can make great city bikes with a flat bar and the same stem.