Slime inner tubes?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ben98

Slime inner tubes?

Post by Ben98 »

Anybody use them? Are they worth the extra money over normal tubes? Are they worth the extra weight? Are there any for 2.4" 29er tires?
Thanks
Ben
FLV

Re: Slime inner tubes?

Post by FLV »

I didn't get on with them, but there's plenty that do.

Have you thought of trying that new fangled tubeless thing?
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

I just don't understand tubeless, what happens if you get a puncture (which you must get more often due to 1 layer of protection rather than 2?)?
Chew

Post by Chew »

The idea with tubeless is that you put sealant in the tyre so if you get a puncture it with automatically seal (like the slime in the tubes you're looking at)

Tubes don't add extra protection as the tyre does all of the protection. Depends on how often you tend to get punctures and if you're a serial tyre swapper like myself
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'd only use tubes now if I couldn't get a wheel tubeless*. Tubes are the weak link. Push a thorn through a tyre and it sticks there and the tyre moulds round it. The same thorn just pops the tube as it's so thin. It's great when you eventually change a tyre and find it full of thorns you were blissfully unaware of.

*Or as Chew says, if youre swapping tyres a lot.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Yeah I like tubeless, really reduces the number of punctures you get (I reckon on 1-2 a year at most now).

On my Fargo, that I haven't gotten around to converting to tubeless, I've used a syringe to get 30ml of stans sealant inside each tube, about as effective as tubeless but a bit heavier.
composite

Post by composite »

I know guys who run tubeless who haven't had a puncture since 1986. ;)
FLV

Post by FLV »

To try to be more helpful....

I think slime tubes are good protection against thorns, but as far as I know not so good against a decent pinch punctures. I think if you're stuck with tubes and ride a lot in bramble and gorse type areas slime tubes are good.

I think tubeless basically do the same thing. Pinch punctures are a thing of the past. If you use a sealant set up (most set ups do, mavics UST don't have to) you get the same benefit of sealant sealing the little thorny holes up and the added benefit of no tube to pinch and do away with a fairly heavyweight slime filled tube.
Mandicky

Post by Mandicky »

I tried Slime tubes but ran into problems with bigger punctures. The sealant didn't want to seal and trying to get a patch to stick is nearly impossible with all that slime about! Tubeless is the way to go - 2 bikes converted and no flats for over 2 years :D I haven't saved any weight yet though as I still carry 2 tubes - just in case...
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Mandicky wrote: I haven't saved any weight yet though as I still carry 2 tubes.
You have saved the weight of at least one tube because the two tubes you now carry would have been in your wheels plus you would have carried at least one tube as a spare. Also if you haven't had a puncture in two bikes for two years why carry two tubes, just one should do.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Tubeless also allows you to run lower pressures without risk of pinch punctures as well as benefitting from increased traction.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I've been tubeless for around three years now.
No flats to report.
Said it now, now I'll be plagued by them. :roll:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Just got back with a big thorn poking 15mm out of the sidewall. Pulled it out with the inevitable hiss. Stan's goop must have dried so I syringed a cup through the valve, inflated the 30 psi and spun it. Job done. :D
Mandicky

Post by Mandicky »

Ray Young wrote:
Mandicky wrote: I haven't saved any weight yet though as I still carry 2 tubes.
You have saved the weight of at least one tube because the two tubes you now carry would have been in your wheels plus you would have carried at least one tube as a spare. Also if you haven't had a puncture in two bikes for two years why carry two tubes, just one should do.
I probably will drop to carrying just one tube now. Old habits die hard :D It'll make room for an extra Snickers....
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Why don't Mavic UST's require sealant ?
What seals the enevitable puncture ?
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Chicken Legs wrote:Why don't Mavic UST's require sealant ?
What seals the enevitable puncture ?
Really thick rubber on USTs, the sealant is also there to seal up porous "normal" carcasses or provide puncture repairs for the thinner carcasses, iirc.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I'm using slimes. The only downside I found is that it can be a bit difficult to inflate or inflate the tube when swapping over tyres. I think the slime can work its way into the nozzle. No thorn punctures despite many thorns. MPolo had a pinch flat with them while out riding one morning - the only day he didn't carry a spare, of course I had to drive off and find him and bring him home. :roll:
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Okay stupid question x2

1) Does the slime slosh about the inside of a tubeless tyre?

2) Do I need special tyres etc?

I am moving from mostly commuting/road touring on a cx bike with marathons, to twatting about (badly) on a mtb with the basic tyres that came on it from the shop :oops:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Yorlin wrote:Okay stupid question x2

1) Does the slime slosh about the inside of a tubeless tyre?

2) Do I need special tyres etc?

I am moving from mostly commuting/road touring on a cx bike with marathons, to twatting about (badly) on a mtb with the basic tyres that came on it from the shop :oops:
It sort of sloshes about, you'll only notice it when its on the work stand or when it dries into a big bogey! ;)

You don't need special tyres or rims BUT some combos work a lot better than others. For example Sun Ringle Inferno 25s went up a treat with Conti Race Kings but the same rims were a nightmare with Twin-Rails. There's a decent amount of trial & error and luck involved.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

1. Yes the tyre sealant sloshes about in tubeless but there is so little of it you won't notice it.
2. UST for Mavic tubeless rims only, Tubeless or Tubeless Ready designed to be run er. tubeless and lastly a lot of normal tyres can be used tubeless but some don't like it.
3. You will also need tubeless rim tape if it's not already fitted. I was pretty miffed to find that I had to buy some when I discovered that my new wheels with "Stans No Tubes" rims where not ready to be set up tubeless because they come fitted with standard rim tape!!! How dumb is that?
4. I also had to invest in a co2 cartridge and adaptor to get the tyres to inflate.
5. You can go DIY or "Ghetto tubeless" as they call it which is by far the cheapest option. Lots of people on here can give advice/experience of it or look on STW.