Spacious tarp tents vs light tarp tents

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Spacious tarp tents vs light tarp tents

Post by jameso »

Spacious, light, cheap, pick 2...

I have a Gatewood cape and I think it's a brilliant product. So light, compact and easy to pitch. But at just over 6' I'm finding it a bit cramped - mainly because I'm not as careful as I could be where I pitch it, find it gets condensation on the inside and I can't move inside it without wiping the condensation off onto me, my jacket etc.
It's not the tarp's fault, it's not a lack of ventilation it's me pitching it in places where cooling air condenses and it's inevitable. I like hilltop or hillside spots with nice views. If it's under trees in the woods it doesn't happen. Still, it's a bit awkward to sit up and move under it even when dry inside because the space at the edges is minimal even if I use the lifter points on the outside (eg a line to the bike's bars, bike laid on side).

Any tips for a similar shelter that ideally doesn't use a central pole in the same way and /or has more length and height at the edges? Close to or under 400g? Let's say budget isn't a concern for now to see all the options.

An option might be a taller pole to lift it up, creates more draught space at the lower edge though. In the dimensions pic for the Gatewood it looks as if the lower edges are above the ground - mine sets up with the edges along the ground. Not sure of pole length, will check. How do you pitch yours?

jameso

Re: Spacious tarp tents vs light tarp tents

Post by jameso »

45cm pole (Wales finest)
Er, 45" sorry. 114cm. Was posted as I got bike out for ride, if that's an excuse
Last edited by jameso on Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I also love my Gatewood but at 6'2" have accepted I always use a bivvy bag round my sleeping bag and rub my feet on the damp inside.

Not much help, sorry.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I use a 114cm pole set up vertically (rather than set at an angle). If the ground's flat, then I find it generally pitches with a couple of inches around the base. I nearly always sleep with the door open which obviously helps with condensation but also adds to the feeling of space.

The BPD Lair is similar to the Gatewood but sets up higher and if used with a clip-on beak, provides a lot of space.

https://www.bearpawwd.com/tents/lair.php

The Lightheart Gear 'So-long' is designed for taller folk but as it's more hybrid than tarp, it's a bit heavier.

https://lightheartgear.com/products/lightheart-solong-6
45cm pole
You sure? No wonder it feels cramped :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

6'1" here and no real issues with the Deschutes and a 115cm pole. I think the Deschutes is a wee bit bigger so that's maybe why. I tend to use a Borah bivvy bag, more in terms of keeping slugs 'n bugs out as much to avoid condensation getting on my sleeping bag. When I use the mesh inner for extreme bug situations condensation does become an issue as if you brush the mesh on the outer it soaks straight through, obviously. I guess I treat it as part of the compromise. Certainly much better than the Vango Helium 100 in terms of condensation and much better in rain.

The Luxe hex peak is the luxury option as its bigger in all ways. 1.1kg for outer, carbon pole and pegs though
Boab

Post by Boab »

Zpacks Altaplex Tent...? 💸💸💸
The ideal ultralight tent for hikers up to 6’6”, the Altaplex is the perfect place to wait out the rain on the Appalachian Trail or to recover after a long day of bushwhacking.

Specifically designed for taller backpackers and thru-hikers, this lightweight tent provides ample head and foot room while still easily pitching with a single trekking pole.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Boab wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:23 pm Zpacks Altaplex Tent...? 💸💸💸
A fair investment, but a large one!
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:08 am
45cm pole
You sure? No wonder it feels cramped :wink:
Ha.. 45". It's a 5-section pole so what do think of adding another section to it? Would raise the peak by 23cm. Too much?